Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mail order vs. local bikes shop

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mail order vs. local bikes shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 06:54 AM
thatbikeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TECHNICALLY I could use 3 days to take a trip to London, but you do have a point. I think the best solution is to build the bike myself and buy components seperately.
Old 10-15-19, 06:56 AM
thatbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do have a point, well 3k is budget and I'll make sure to organize my following posts well. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-15-19, 06:59 AM
thatbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a troll thread actually. I find it immoral and useless to waste time by trolling like a salty 6 year old who thinks every day is april fools. No offense.

Last edited by thatbikeguy; 10-15-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 07:01 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Maybe it's just semantics, but if I were "in urgent need for a budget bike" I'd probably buy a budget bike, without too much anxiety over it. Then take my time over the expensive one, having a spare bike in the end.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-15-19, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
And there we have it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-15-19, 07:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by thatbikeguy
TECHNICALLY I could use 3 days to take a trip to London, but you do have a point. I think the best solution is to build the bike myself and buy components seperately.
...except that wont fulfill your 'urgent need' for the bike. So there isnt actually an urgent need? Or perhaps 'urgent need' uses the same line of thinking as a $3000 'budget build'?
Old 10-15-19, 10:08 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Of course the local shop will be able to provide better service. That service would be the same level for guardless of if they are working on a bike bought had their shop or a bike bought over the Internet though.
I beg to differ. There is a difference between riding in unnannounced, having a shop wrench willing to do a minor repair and get you back on the road in 10 minutes and booking a repair, leaving the bike for a few days and paying standard shop rates.

This isn't unique to my bike shop or even to bike shops. The dealer where I bought my car prioritizes repair and maintenance for customers. If you bought your car there, you get a free loaner while your car is being repaired. Bars and restaurants offer better service and occasional freebies for regulars. Even my local grocery will occasionally run back in the back and pull out fresher meat or produce for regular customers.

Also worth noting is that even if your point didn't fly in the face of human nature and standard business practice, if bike shops don't make a profit and generate cash flow, they won't be there to offer service regardless of the speed or cost.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As for which company will support local races or group rides, for most of the cycling public, it doesn't matter. Most of the cycling public does not race or go on bikeshop group rides.
The several hundred/thousand cyclists who ride group rides and compete in weekly races in my city would argue otherwise, as would the thousands/tens of thousands of cyclists who ride large organized rides and fondos that operate with shop support. Those events simply don't happen without LBS support, and every shop owner I know says organizing and supporting these events is key to their business model. It's how they maintain their relationship with loyal and regular customers, meet potential customers, and generate good will in the community.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-15-19, 10:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts

I bought a CAAD 12 w/105 11 sp from my LBS. I also bought a Colnago World Cup CX on line from Competitive Cyclist. No problems either place.
Old 10-15-19, 10:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Old 10-15-19, 11:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Maybe it's just semantics, but if I were "in urgent need for a budget bike" I'd probably buy a budget bike, without too much anxiety over it. Then take my time over the expensive one, having a spare bike in the end.
This ^^. Budget & custom don't go well together. You will get a lot more more ''bang for the buck'' if you buy a complete bike VS build a custom one since bike manufacturer have a buying power we don't have. Plus, bikes are on sale at this time of year (well, where I live!).
Old 10-15-19, 04:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
To the OP's scenario.. I'm pretty sure my LBS doesn't offer a Reynolds steel tubed, Campy equipped road bike. Has this thread lost track of the original dilemma?
Old 10-15-19, 05:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I beg to differ. There is a difference between riding in unnannounced, having a shop wrench willing to do a minor repair and get you back on the road in 10 minutes and booking a repair, leaving the bike for a few days and paying standard shop rates.

This isn't unique to my bike shop or even to bike shops. The dealer where I bought my car prioritizes repair and maintenance for customers. If you bought your car there, you get a free loaner while your car is being repaired. Bars and restaurants offer better service and occasional freebies for regulars. Even my local grocery will occasionally run back in the back and pull out fresher meat or produce for regular customers.

Also worth noting is that even if your point didn't fly in the face of human nature and standard business practice, if bike shops don't make a profit and generate cash flow, they won't be there to offer service regardless of the speed or cost.

The several hundred/thousand cyclists who ride group rides and compete in weekly races in my city would argue otherwise, as would the thousands/tens of thousands of cyclists who ride large organized rides and fondos that operate with shop support. Those events simply don't happen without LBS support, and every shop owner I know says organizing and supporting these events is key to their business model. It's how they maintain their relationship with loyal and regular customers, meet potential customers, and generate good will in the community.
Wow.

A lot to unpack, so here are some bullets.

- the 2 shops I am willing to frequent are both very good and I have never purchased a bike from either. Not a bike for me or my family. They have helped me right away even during busy times, even though it wasnt based on a purchase from the shop. They have also ot charged me sometimes. I will buy random items from the shops and consider myself a customer of both.
Point being- you needn't buy a bike from a shop to be helped quickly at that shop.

Of course shops need to generate cash flow and profit. Repair can be a major source of that revenue so treating customers well even if they didn't buy a bike from there is key to maintaining a great revenue stream.

- it's awesome that your area has so much involvement in group rides. Please understand that I am taking all people who ride a bike into consideration when I say that most dont do group rides. Probably 20 people on my block have bikes and ride them a dozen + times a year. None participate in group rides. And they obviously dont race.
Shops providing a tent and stand for charity rides is really nice and mutually benefits the event and the shop. The shop gets exposure and has a chance to hook customers thru...repair service. Oh look at that, a nice full circle where a shop is fixing bikes not purchased by the shop.
Old 10-15-19, 07:18 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I've done both. Bought a nice Wilier from Competitive Cyclist and they did a great job. But their job is done when the bike shows up at your door. It's all on you after that.

Having a relationship with an LBS has a very high value to me. I bought my BMC from Western Bikeworks, which is the dealer closest to my home. I have brought the bike by when I was out on a ride and wondered about something. They always immediately take it back and deal with it and they never charge me. I would be happy to pay, though. The important thing to me is, they know who I am and, way, way more important than that, they know the bike. And that's why I'm buying my Di2 bike from them.
Old 10-15-19, 08:12 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I get good deals at my LBS for accessories. And with apparel, you can always try before you buy. As for the bike, LBS all the way. No assembly required.
Old 10-16-19, 10:45 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
To the OP's scenario.. I'm pretty sure my LBS doesn't offer a Reynolds steel tubed, Campy equipped road bike. Has this thread lost track of the original dilemma?
Yep, like 99% of threads here. Errrrbody gives their opinion (that is often unrelated to the matter itself).