Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 11:35 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Robert Axle Project Lightning Bolt-On front thru axle for my S3. I did a separate thread and review here but I thought they performed so well they deserved a mention in this thread as well. I was so happy that I bought 3 more directly from them (the rear on the S3 and two for my TCR) just to show the company my support.

It's amazing that their product is both lighter and stronger than the stock TAs Cervelo includes.

Robert Axle Project TA

Stock Cervelo TA
Old 11-13-19, 08:41 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Also my most practical purchase just arrived...

Decided to ride in every day vs. walking (yes I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance of work)
Old 11-15-19, 03:33 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Garmin edge 530, couldn't pass up a 20% off sale tonight.
Love the 530. Hope you do as well!!!
Old 11-15-19, 05:36 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
China's finest via Amazon
  1. Strgao Men's Windproof Long Sleeves Jersey Winter Fleece Thermal Cycling Coat Bicycle Bike Jacket
  2. sponeed Bike Long Pants Men Padded Cycling Tights Road Bike Leggings Biking
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 11-16-19, 03:25 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
China's finest via Amazon
  1. Strgao Men's Windproof Long Sleeves Jersey Winter Fleece Thermal Cycling Coat Bicycle Bike Jacket
  2. sponeed Bike Long Pants Men Padded Cycling Tights Road Bike Leggings Biking
Awesome. As I've briefly mentioned before, I have found Sponeed to be every bit as good as, and in some cases better than, the expensive named brands. I won't name names, as I am not into public bashing. I also have one full winter fleece kit from Strgao that is as good as new after 2 years of steady us in cold Portland. It looks brand new. The fact is, as I have learned, there is some very high-quality apparel available from China from certain companies. You can save a ton if you know what to buy.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-16-19, 07:42 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Not the sexiest wheels on the market, but a step up from the stock Fulcrum Racing 5's... ceramic bearings, carbon fiber front hub, bladed spokes, and about a half pound weight savings. Looking forward to putting these on the road ;-)

Old 11-16-19, 08:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Nice.. I woulda thought a tough call going with these or the Campy Shamal equivalents when deciding -- go "Italian" with the Pinarello bike, or avoiding the clash of Shimano/Campy.

Originally Posted by travelerman
Not the sexiest wheels on the market, but a step up from the stock Fulcrum Racing 5's... ceramic bearings, carbon fiber front hub, bladed spokes, and about a half pound weight savings. Looking forward to putting these on the road ;-)

Old 11-16-19, 08:54 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Totally agree, that's my second product from Sponeed, I have a pair of shorts that are my favorite as opposed to another Amazon brand starts with a B******* that's also my second Strago product. I find the Strago jersey to be better than other Amazon products even better than the local club jersey I bought for a fund raiser ride.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Awesome. As I've briefly mentioned before, I have found Sponeed to be every bit as good as, and in some cases better than, the expensive named brands. I won't name names, as I am not into public bashing. I also have one full winter fleece kit from Strgao that is as good as new after 2 years of steady us in cold Portland. It looks brand new. The fact is, as I have learned, there is some very high-quality apparel available from China from certain companies. You can save a ton if you know what to buy.
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 11-16-19, 10:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
The Chinese are so ... inventive at coining names.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-16-19, 10:39 AM
bpcyclist

I like Bpbtti.
Old 11-16-19, 08:57 PM
bpcyclist

Thirty-dollar bv pump that so far, is working quite well with what appears to be an accurate, or pretty accurate, I should say, gauge. I've been a skier and a guitarist and a headphone fan at different times in my life, but I think cycling is as expensive as any of those (if you include travel for some skiing). I'm retired now, so I save where I can. We'll see about this pump. I've checked enough tire pressures with my thumb that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell if there is something amiss when it says pressure is 115 but it's really 85. Won't be able to give you a number, but I should know if it's way off. Hopefully. I guess we're going to find out how good I really am at that... Maybe I should just finally go tubeless.
Old 11-19-19, 02:21 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
$90.41 at Merlin Cycles
Old 11-19-19, 02:29 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I have purchased several jerseys, both long sleeved and short sleeved through Online Cycling Gear. So far I have been very happy with the quality of them. I too have purchased the Santic Cycling Shorts and found them to be equivalent to what I've purchased from the LBS. I purchased a winter pair off Amazon of the Baleaf Thermal Cycling Tights, in the same size as the Santic and found they were much smaller in size than the Santic.
Old 11-20-19, 04:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
already had two of these lights. will likely add another two. can't be lit up enough these days...

https://www.knog.com.au/bike-lights/plus-twinpack.html
Old 11-20-19, 04:37 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by ultrarider7
I have purchased several jerseys, both long sleeved and short sleeved through Online Cycling Gear. So far I have been very happy with the quality of them. I too have purchased the Santic Cycling Shorts and found them to be equivalent to what I've purchased from the LBS. I purchased a winter pair off Amazon of the Baleaf Thermal Cycling Tights, in the same size as the Santic and found they were much smaller in size than the Santic.
Thanks a lot for the tip. Haven't used OCG before. Might check them out. Yeah, my Baleafs are also smaller than my Santics and Sponeeds and Strgaos. Also not of the same quality overall as the latter three. The shammies are not of as high quality on the Baleaf as is on the others.
Old 11-20-19, 04:56 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Waiting on a few things....

Specialized Power Comp 155mm
Effetto Caffelatex Tubeless Valve Kit
Hutchinson Rep'Air Tubeless Repair Kit
Effetto Caffelatex ZOT! Nano
Lezyne Classic Tubeless Kit
Effetto Caffelatex Tubeless Fluid 250ml
Vittoria Rubino Pro TLR Graphene 2.0 Folding Clincher Tyre - Black 700 x 28mm x2
Beto Jet Air Tubeless Tank AH Smart Head
OCG The Cannibal MAMIL Apparel Cycling Cap
OCG Retro Black Renault Elf Cycling Kit
Old 11-20-19, 06:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Waiting on a few things....

Specialized Power Comp 155mm
Effetto Caffelatex Tubeless Valve Kit
Hutchinson Rep'Air Tubeless Repair Kit
Effetto Caffelatex ZOT! Nano
Lezyne Classic Tubeless Kit
Effetto Caffelatex Tubeless Fluid 250ml
Vittoria Rubino Pro TLR Graphene 2.0 Folding Clincher Tyre - Black 700 x 28mm x2
Beto Jet Air Tubeless Tank AH Smart Head
OCG The Cannibal MAMIL Apparel Cycling Cap
OCG Retro Black Renault Elf Cycling Kit
Is this going to be your first tubeless set-up or have you been running tubeless for a while? I'm interested in hearing about both the tires and the sealant (though I really have no reason to be anything but happy with Orange Seal).
Old 11-20-19, 06:40 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is this going to be your first tubeless set-up or have you been running tubeless for a while? I'm interested in hearing about both the tires and the sealant (though I really have no reason to be anything but happy with Orange Seal).
​​​​
My giant came with PR-2 wheels and tubeless gavia ac1 tyres. I only ran them for a couple hundred KMs and aside from being garbage wheels and tyres, they were reliable enough.

After 3 tiny punctures in 6 weeks on the tubed Schwalbe Ones currently on the ER1600 wheels I have now, I decided to give it a proper go
Old 11-20-19, 06:26 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Bought a simple SKS front wheel spray guard, SKS-Germany 11317 S-Board Bicycle Front Fender, because winter is coming. It will keep my feet dry, but won't prevent forward spray. If there's a cyclist in front of me they'll just have to ride faster.
Old 11-20-19, 06:27 PM
The Pickle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XTR V Brakes for our 1993 Cannondale tandem
Old 11-20-19, 08:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts

https://www.scosche.com/rhythm24
Old 11-20-19, 10:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Update 12/10/19: The Pearl Izumi Select Pursuit long sleeve jersey performed as expected. No surprises for a snug fitting conventional wicking fabric jersey. Good down into the 60s with a short sleeve or sleeveless baselayer.

The Pro Pursuit wind jersey was more interesting. It combines on the wind/rain-exposed areas the plasticky material often touted as "breathable" hardshell by many makers but never really is; with more conventional softshell fabric that really is breathable. The combination works very well down to the 50s with a baselayer, even when wet. I've ridden it several times on dry and damp days down into the 50s. No complaints. I get wet from sweat inside the jersey but am still comfortable because the hardshell fabric is wind resistant even when wet from rain. Great alternative to the usual windbreaker/rain jackets that are a bit flappy and rarely breathe as well as claimed.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I like Bpbtti.
Best bizarre brand name in Amazon cycling apparel. I'm guessing that's what happens when the data entry clerk sneezes while typing "Spotti". It's pronounced by blowing a raspberry.

This week I got a couple of Pearl Izumi long sleeve sorta-aero jerseys for our frequent in-between lukewarm/sorta-cool days. I had summer and winter gear but not much that was quite right for days when the temp varies between the high 50s-low 70s in the same ride. What I did have was either loose and flappy or sweaty when zipped up and chilly when unzipped.

I had put these PI jerseys in the Amazon cart awhile back and waited for notifications of price drops. Occasionally something will drop drastically but usually only for one day, or a few hours. I missed a shot at a $100+ short sleeve aero jersey that dropped to $18 for a few hours, then back up to $70.

These are minimalist jerseys intended for wear with bibs rather than shorts -- short fronts, tails just barely long enough. Three slip pockets in the rear, no security pockets, and the slip pockets feel like a cell phone could easily bounce out. I wrapped rubber bands around my phone and wallet. So far, so good. They're basically snug fitting but not custom tailored TT/tri jerseys with pockets tacked on as a sort of afterthought. But I could tell that from the photos and customer descriptions. I figured I'd wear 'em on windy and cool days when I wanted to tackle some tailwind PRs while minimizing my profile into headwinds. For longer casual rides I'd choose another jersey with better integrated, more secure pockets since I tend to carry way too much stuff -- asthma inhaler, lotsa snacks, Kool Stop bead jack, maybe a compact camera, etc.

The PI Select Pursuit long sleeve jersey was available in blue for $35 so I got that color. It's very sheer and stretchy, more of a warm weather jersey but was comfortable down to the high 60s with a base layer. Doesn't fit me quite as snugly as the model, but I'm thinner. It would take a clothing wrangler and tailor to dart the slightly loose arm fit for me. Definitely a bibs jersey -- with shorts your navel will get some air.

I was mostly interested in this PI Pro Pursuit wind resistant jersey, $45 for the hi-vis yellow with black sleeves and yoke. As I expected it's similar to the material Pearl Izumi uses on their looser fitting windbreakers -- a sort of ultra-thin plasticky material, not at all stretchy. It combines this material on the front facing exterior with a second layer of a mesh fabric. The parts of the sleeve and yoke that aren't facing the wind are black sheer, stretchy fabric. It was comfortable with a base layer down to the high 50s-low 60s Tuesday night. I was a bit sweaty under the material but not chilled or clammy feeling. Same as the PI Select Barrier windbreaker -- I get sweaty under that windbreaker but still warm because it's wind resistant even when the fabric is soaked from mist or moderate rain. Also bibs only.

I suspect the Amazon reviewers complaining these "run small" don't understand the differences in jerseys cut for bibs vs shorts. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, and the medium fit me properly with both jerseys. If I was picky about aero fit I could tailor the sleeves but it's not that important. Or I could just spend more for a proper custom fitting skin suit, if it was that important. Which it's not, at least for me.

Pearl Izumi Pro Pursuit wind jersey. Medium fit is okay on me. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs.

Short front, definitely cut for bibs.

Navel warfare ensues with shorts. Looks like I could stand to lose about 5 lbs, if I gave up pizza, or sugar in my coffee. Which I won't do.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-10-19 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add update
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-29-19, 01:35 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Garage Gator Motorized Bike Lift GG8220 Motorized lift. Works very well!
Old 11-29-19, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ultrarider7
Garage Gator Motorized Bike Lift GG8220 Motorized lift. Works very well!
Do you have to insulate and zip tie the seatpost each time before hanging?
Old 11-29-19, 05:07 PM
ultrarider7

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you have to insulate and zip tie the seatpost each time before hanging?
I did it because the Bianchi has a carbon fiber seat post, and wasn't sure about the finish on the Cannondale. The wife's old Schwinn has a steel post, unpainted, so I didn't bother with that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.