Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot deals - post 'em if you got 'em.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot deals - post 'em if you got 'em.

Old 05-19-19, 05:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Nuovo (Ribble house brand) bibs at ~$33. Looks like they're made with a decent chamois at least.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/nuovo...avy/#pid=41283

A few other items also in this line at heavy discounts:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/cloth...UOVO+by+Ribble
Old 05-19-19, 06:42 PM
JamesInSJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Ortlieb bags are nice. But I would pass on the Garmin 520. The newer Garmin 530 is out, and it is way better. This is just a way for them to get rid of outdated inventory, but no way I would buy the Garmin 520. Riddled with bugs and slow.
Agree that I would just go with the 530 right now. As far as the 520, have owned it 2+ years and never had a single problem with it. Actually, far and above better than most of my peers who have used other Garmin units.
Old 05-21-19, 02:20 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ
Agree that I would just go with the 530 right now. As far as the 520, have owned it 2+ years and never had a single problem with it. Actually, far and above better than most of my peers who have used other Garmin units.
Garmin seems to nail every other edge. 500 and 520 were great, 510 and 520+ were mediocre or bad. Wahoo is behind again IMO compared to the 530 so I would go a 530 today.
Old 05-21-19, 03:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed G+ - $27.18
https://www.wiggle.com/vittoria-rubi...-graphene-tyre
Old 05-21-19, 04:00 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Garmin seems to nail every other edge. 500 and 520 were great, 510 and 520+ were mediocre or bad. Wahoo is behind again IMO compared to the 530 so I would go a 530 today.
I have cycled for many years now, with never seeing a strong need for a computer. Almost like a badge of honor. Decided to get the Wahoo over the 520 based on everything I have read, was just waiting for a sale. Looks like it is good that I waited, think I will finally bite on the 530. Will now search for what has been updated (520 vs 530 and even Wahoo vs 530).

Did not even know the 530 was released if it were not for this thread.
Old 05-22-19, 06:59 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I have cycled for many years now, with never seeing a strong need for a computer. Almost like a badge of honor. Decided to get the Wahoo over the 520 based on everything I have read, was just waiting for a sale. Looks like it is good that I waited, think I will finally bite on the 530. Will now search for what has been updated (520 vs 530 and even Wahoo vs 530).

Did not even know the 530 was released if it were not for this thread.
Yeah the 530 was just released like 2-3 weeks ago. One of the things people hated about the 520 was the slow interface / processing (clunky menus, took a long time to calculate route). All of that has been resolved with the 530. I think the screen has been improved as well.

Wahoo also released the Wahoo element Roam with improved navigation. Might be worth checking out if navigation is important to you. Can navigate on the unit itself versus only via pairing it with the phone.
Old 05-22-19, 10:25 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
This might be a dumb question...but I've never had GPS and I'm sort of considering getting one.

When you load up a route, will it recalculate when you go off course like a car or phone GPS will? Or are you just sort of screwed?
Old 05-22-19, 11:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
This might be a dumb question...but I've never had GPS and I'm sort of considering getting one.

When you load up a route, will it recalculate when you go off course like a car or phone GPS will? Or are you just sort of screwed?
Newer units will (Wahoo Roam and Garmin 530/830). Older units, like Element/Bolt, will kinda, sorta point you in the right direction to get back on track.
Old 05-22-19, 11:41 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

The Garmin 830 does, and I believe the new 530 does as well. The 520 did not I believe.

The Wahoo Elmnt and Element Bolt do NOT do this. They just say you are "off course" and show the general direction to get back to the pre-mapped course. The new Wahoo elemnt Roam DOES recalculate.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/05/...th-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html

Be aware that when compared to a phone or car GPS, there are all kinds of weird caveats to the navigation on these units. On the Garmin 530 and Wahoo elemnt roam, you cannot input an address, just select a point on the map, and then go there, or select from presaved locations and route there. The Element Bolt relies purely on your smartphone to get a new route, and then syncs with your phone. It does not calculate routes on the unit itself at all.

The only units that do all the things you would normally expect from them in terms of proper navigation are the Garmin 830 and 1030.

I would suggest you seriously read through the detailed reviews from DCRainmaker on any of these units before buying. Enough things on there were dealbreakers for me in terms of navigation.

I opted to go for a smartphone + mount instead for navigation. Not as good in terms of battery life or screen readability, but works for me.
Old 05-22-19, 02:15 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Newer units will (Wahoo Roam and Garmin 530/830). Older units, like Element/Bolt, will kinda, sorta point you in the right direction to get back on track.
Check out Bryton Aero 60.
Old 05-23-19, 04:16 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
We have a public holiday in the UK next Monday (known as a Bank Holiday). Thus, there are some additional discounts being offered by several UK bike retailers.

For example, Tredz (https://www.tredz.co.uk) has a 10% discount using the code EXTRA10. It's valid on everything apart from new 2018 or 2019 bikes.
Old 05-24-19, 06:13 PM
brainydexter

Bikes: CAAD 10 5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nuovo (Ribble house brand) bibs at ~$33. Looks like they're made with a decent chamois at least.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/nuovo...avy/#pid=41283

A few other items also in this line at heavy discounts:
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/cloth...UOVO+by+Ribble
Can someone living in US share there experience when purchasing things through UK ? 31.87$ for bibs is something I've never seen here, so wondering if its worth purchasing and going through the hassle of getting it shipped from UK.
Old 05-24-19, 11:29 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brainydexter
Can someone living in US share there experience when purchasing things through UK ? 31.87$ for bibs is something I've never seen here, so wondering if its worth purchasing and going through the hassle of getting it shipped from UK.
I don't live in the US, but have very often shipped from the UK/Germany to the US. China too. Well worth it if the price is right, and you are not in a hurry. Last I saw the duty free limit was 800 dollars. Not sure now with Trumps new rules.
Old 05-25-19, 06:05 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Ive bought from Pro Bike Kit and it took about 12-14 days to get my package. Great deal with a sale and coupon. Everything was as ordered so I have no experience with returns. Ill only buy from overseas if the prices are a good 25-30% less than US stores.

Ive also got an order with star bike (Germany) They have been fantastic with online communications and shipped the order pretty quick. That order should be here in about 6 days from now.

With the US$ climbing up to the Euro Ive noticed prices dropping from European stores.

-Sean
Old 05-25-19, 06:11 AM
WhyFi

Purchasing from the UK isn't the problem; shipping isn't significantly longer than from buying within the US. The main issue when ordering online, whether from the UK or domestically, is fit and finish. If you can't physically touch before buying, you're left with doing some research and taking a small leap of faith. Once you find a brand/line/size that you're comfortable with, no issues whatsoever (until the manufacturer changes the something on you).
Old 05-25-19, 10:09 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Purchasing from the UK isn't the problem; shipping isn't significantly longer than from buying within the US. The main issue when ordering online, whether from the UK or domestically, is fit and finish. If you can't physically touch before buying, you're left with doing some research and taking a small leap of faith. Once you find a brand/line/size that you're comfortable with, no issues whatsoever (until the manufacturer changes the something on you).
It is a little bit longer. If I order in the US its typically 2 days. Europe will be at least 6 - 8 days if you are on the east coast. Usually longer depening on the customs agency the company uses and any other hold ups in customs that are outside of anyones control.

I do agree with fit n finish though. Dont order from overseas unless you know its exactly what you want. The return shipping would certainly eliminate any savings. Also you are taking a chance on wheels, frames, clothing sizes... etc.

I can order in the US have a problem with a product, return for free and have the correct product back before a shipment from europe is halfway across the ocean.

That being said.... when I can get a $289.00 seat for $170.00 or 45$ tires for 25$, to me its worth the risk for those items with that kind of savings.

-Sean
Old 05-25-19, 01:44 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts

Originally Posted by maartendc
The Garmin 830 does, and I believe the new 530 does as well. The 520 did not I believe.

The Wahoo Elmnt and Element Bolt do NOT do this. They just say you are "off course" and show the general direction to get back to the pre-mapped course. The new Wahoo elemnt Roam DOES recalculate.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/05/...th-review.html
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/...th-review.html

Be aware that when compared to a phone or car GPS, there are all kinds of weird caveats to the navigation on these units. On the Garmin 530 and Wahoo elemnt roam, you cannot input an address, just select a point on the map, and then go there, or select from presaved locations and route there. The Element Bolt relies purely on your smartphone to get a new route, and then syncs with your phone. It does not calculate routes on the unit itself at all.

The only units that do all the things you would normally expect from them in terms of proper navigation are the Garmin 830 and 1030.

I would suggest you seriously read through the detailed reviews from DCRainmaker on any of these units before buying. Enough things on there were dealbreakers for me in terms of navigation.

I opted to go for a smartphone + mount instead for navigation. Not as good in terms of battery life or screen readability, but works for me.
I don't think I ever noticed this before, but using a route on my 520+ today and took a course detour and the navigation attempted to route me back to the course, at first via U-turn, then by recalculating to the new route I was using. I was aware of the detour and the alternate route and the recalculation was correct and a bit of a surprise.
Old 05-25-19, 06:32 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I was burned with this. I ordered a couple of jerseys from wiggle. Both of them were a size, at least, too small. I ended up shipping them back to wiggle and having them send me one size up. The new jersey was still a little snug, but I made it work.

I was burned on shipping too. I had to a) pay import duties b) pay return fee to wiggle and c) pay import fees on the new jersey.

I will not order from wiggle again. Not because of anything they did, or did not, do. But because of the uncertainty of sizing on my end.
Old 05-27-19, 01:45 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Giro Empire E70 Knit for $99.97 and Giro Republic Knit $69.97 today.
I have the Empire E70 Knits and they are super comfortable; killer price for carbon soled shoes if you don't mind the knit look and laces. Just picked up a pair of the Republic version for my SPD pedaled bike.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...d=mgj&fcat=csm
Old 05-28-19, 07:53 AM
WhyFi

The Pro's Closet has a set of disc brake Reynold's Assaults for $759. These were a showroom pair that haven't been ridden. Great wheels (I own a pair), stupid great price.
Old 05-28-19, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I will not order from wiggle again. Not because of anything they did, or did not, do. But because of the uncertainty of sizing on my end.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy clothes. But my last order of bike tires were from Germany, and my next order will be as well, probably in a couple months.
Old 06-03-19, 11:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Summer is here.

That means 25% off Castelli winter bib tights and knickers.

https://www.backcountry.com/mens-bik...ACastelli&nf=1

-Tim-
Old 06-04-19, 07:20 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
any one know about any deals on bike gloves? I had numbness this morning
Old 06-04-19, 08:02 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Chapter III 1.16 Defiant Bibs - About $77 depending on exchange rate
https://chpt3.com/collections/shorts...nt-shorts-1-16

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-04-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 09:05 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Chapter III 1.16 Defiant Bibs - About $77 depending on exchange rate
https://chpt3.com/collections/shorts...nt-shorts-1-16
for 29"-31" waists.

not really much of a deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.