Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie question for cold weather riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 02:36 PM
crashdodson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Odessa Texas, it doesn't get very cold here for very long but I need some recommendations on what to wear when riding in the cooler months.

Today it was 24 at 8am but that's not the norm. I would think the coldest riding day I would have would be 40-50's but it does get windy.

I'm looking for advice on Full length bib's and a jacket. I think I have some decent gloves picked out:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400962__400962
Louis Garneau Torrent Gloves

I have Louis Garneau bibs and jerseys and happy with that brand, but its also the only brand I have worn. The only full bib on performance for garneau is 180 bucks and they guy I chatted with said its for teens to low 30's.

I want to be warm but don't want anything that is going to chafe or rub in in the wrong places. I tend to chafe around my arm pits with some clothing. I know this is a broad question but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!
Old 01-15-13, 03:09 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth, so similar weather conditions.

I have several similar pairs of Garneau gloves. Some full fingered variety, very close but not identical to yours. Mine have a pull out "lobster" cover. I use them in 40-50° weather, with a pair of silk glove liners when needed. louis-garneau-super-prestige-glove

I also have a pair that have 3 of the fingers together in a mitten, with the thumb and index finger separated so you can operate the controls. The mitten like version is noticeably warmer than the first pair I described. I can also fit a pair of wool liners into them if needed. I use these under 40°. I was using them last night in the low to mid 30's without a liner and my hands were fine. louis-garneau-limoges-mitten

In 40-50°, here's what I wear:

Garneau full finger gloves
Silk liners if under 45°
Fleece lined tights with liner shorts (I have 3 pairs of Performance radiator tights and a couple of others)
Thin thermal base layer.
Long sleeve jersey
Fleece lined jacket performance wind jacket
Silk sock liners
Thick wool socks
Cycling shoes a size or 2 larger than usual. Gives extra room for layers and toe wiggling (Thanks for the tip, NKFrench!).
Overboots if needed under 45°
Helmet liner or cap

I'm probably a bit more of a cold weather wimp than some other folks I ride with, and certainly compared to the folks on this forum from up north. I'd rather be a touch on the warm side than the cold side. After all, we're used to riding in heat where we live.

Last night was in the low 30's by the end of the ride, so I also had on a thermal base layer under the tights and 3 fleece layers up top. A neck gaiter or Buff is handy as well.

A note on the wool socks: I was originally using the DeFeet socks from the bike shop (51% wool) and still having cold toes. I recently picked up some wool hiking socks (Magellen brand, 70% wool and a lot thicker) on clearance at Academy outdoors for about $5 a pair. Much, much warmer. I'll use the Defeet socks in 50-ish temps and these new ones when it is colder.

Oh, one more thing since you mentioned you like the Garneau jerseys. i have a few of their jerseys as well and have found the sizing is all over the place. No consistency within the brand. I have snug fitting 2x's and looser fitting mediums. When buying that brand online, you have to read the user reviews to have an idea how the sizing runs.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 01-15-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-15-13, 03:27 PM
crashdodson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff

I have several similar pairs of Garneau gloves. Some full fingered variety, very close but not identical to yours. Mine have a pull out "lobster" cover. I use them in 40-50° weather, with a pair of silk glove liners when needed. louis-garneau-super-prestige-glove

I also have a pair that have 3 of the fingers together in a mitten, with the thumb and index finger separated so you can operate the controls. The mitten like version is noticeably warmer than the first pair I described. I can also fit a pair of wool liners into them if needed. I use these under 40°. I was using them last night in the low to mid 30's without a liner and my hands were fine. louis-garneau-limoges-mitten

In 40-50°, here's what I wear:

Garneau full finger gloves
Silk liners if under 45°
Fleece lined tights with liner shorts
Thin thermal base layer.
Long sleeve jersey
Fleece lined jacket performance wind jacket
Silk sock liners
Thick wool socks
Cycling shoes a size or 2 larger than usual. Gives extra room for layers and toe wiggling (Thanks for the tip, NKFrench!).
Overboots if needed under 45°
Helmet liner or cap

I'm probably a bit more of a cold weather wimp than some other folks I ride with, and certainly compared to the folks on this forum from up north. I'd rather be a touch on the warm side than the cold side. After all, we're used to riding in heat where we live.

Last night was in the low 30's by the end of the ride, so I also had on a thermal base layer under the tights and 3 fleece layers up top. A neck gaiter or Buff is handy as well.

A not on the wool socks: I was originally using the DeFeet socks from the bike shop (51% wool) and still having cold toes. I recently picked up some wool hiking socks (Magellen brand, 70% wool and a lot thicker) on clearance at Academy outdoors for about $5 a pair. Much, much warmer. I'll use the Defeet socks in 50-ish temps and these new ones when it is colder.
Thanks a lot for your reply. So your tights do not have a chamois in them, you wear them on top of or under your shorts?

I hate being cold so I would rather error on the side of a little too warm. Im worried about my feet now though because my shoes are a little tight as is...Not sure I could fit really thick socks...and shoes are a little pricy right now for me to get a winter only pair.
Old 01-15-13, 03:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have similar winters in NorCal. I get a lot of use from warmers: toewarmers (which stay on the shoes pretty much from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day), kneewarmers, and armwarmers. Plus a windvest.
Old 01-15-13, 03:53 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Originally Posted by crashdodson
Thanks a lot for your reply. So your tights do not have a chamois in them, you wear them on top of or under your shorts?
I have 1 pair of tights with a pad, and 4 pairs of unlined tights and I use Nashbar's house brand liner shorts with them. The liners are similar to normal roadie shorts, but meant to go under something else. They have the same pad as Nashbar's Isolation shorts which are my favorites. I also use the liners with street shorts in the summer. The liner shorts are under the tights and under any other thermal liners.

Originally Posted by crashdodson
I hate being cold so I would rather error on the side of a little too warm. Im worried about my feet now though because my shoes are a little tight as is...Not sure I could fit really thick socks...and shoes are a little pricy right now for me to get a winter only pair.
Understand that. The oversized ones I am using are Shimanos that Performance has had on clearance for $50. Shoes are something I usually prefer to buy in person, (and you probably don't have a Performance where you live). Shoes don't all fit the same.
Old 01-15-13, 03:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Re tights: To me it makes much more sense to get generic running tights and wear those over bib shorts than to buy cycling specific tights. Particularly if you run or ski during the winter.
Old 01-15-13, 04:46 PM
wn rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably my favorite piece of cool weather cycling gear (I usually don't ride in temps lower than 40's) is my long sleeve Marino wool base layer. They are warm, wick moisture well, and are comfortable over a wide range of temps. I will usually use it as a base under my jersey and/or jacket from the 40s to 70s.

They are a little pricey but are nice.
Old 01-15-13, 08:18 PM
TJKnight

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Knee warmers are better than bib tights.
Old 01-15-13, 09:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff

How do you not roast?

It's 45 degrees and after sunset so I'm leaving my office wearing knee warmers, shorts, long sleeve jersey, the lightest possible jacket made out of parachute fabric (it's wind resistant and fits in a jersey pocket), and gloves.

If it was sunny I'd skip the jacket and gloves.

When it was 34 this morning but sunny I wore the same thing except for a slightly heavier shell and had to unzip it (oops).
Old 01-15-13, 09:44 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
How do you not roast?

It's 45 degrees and after sunset so I'm leaving my office wearing knee warmers, shorts, long sleeve jersey, the lightest possible jacket made out of parachute fabric (it's wind resistant and fits in a jersey pocket), and gloves.
You are obviously more of a polar bear than I am. I wonder how you aren't freezing.
Old 01-15-13, 10:15 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I don't do bibs . In the temperatures you're describing, I would use a pair of L. Garneau leg warmers or their Oslo tights (tights over my regular bike shorts). I would wear a BCG underlayer (polyester Tee) from Academy sports, a long sleeve jersey, and a L. Garneau wind jacket. I might add the L. Garneau skull cap. One of the large LBS in the area (2 locations) sells Garneau stuff.

Academy sells at least two different weights of these BCG shirts. The lighter weight is like a polyester Tee, and the heavier one has a small zipper in the front like a jersey. These shirts have worked really well for me. I have no financial interest in Garneau or Academy.

For the 40s and 50s, I would wear a pair of Woolie Boolie cycling socks. Below 40, I would wear sock liners under a pair of Wigman wool socks and perhaps some toe warmers over the end of my shoes.

Finding the right winter riding clothing has been an ongoing process of experimentation for me. I think I'm getting close to being there. Also, finding the right stuff is a fairly individual thing. People tolerate cold riding conditions differently as is evidenced by comments in previous posts.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-16-13, 01:08 AM
Bikehog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First , I' m not your typical cyclist. I don't race and I'm not into spending money for cycling clothes. I do have 3 pair of baggy cycling shorts. I just use those as long as it s above the mid 30's. For the tops, I wear a long sleeve t shirt in the 50's, and then I add a sweatshirt for every 10 degree drop. 40',s one long sleeve t shirt, one sweat shirt, 30 ' s will be the same plus another sweat shirt, 20's I will have 4 layers. I don't go out when its below 20 . When it's below 40, I will slip on a second pair of gloves. Never really get cold at all.
Old 01-16-13, 01:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
39F on tonight's commute home. On the top:
  • Hot Chillys long sleeve base layer
  • Long sleeve fleece lined jersey
  • Wind proof winter jacket

On the bottom:
  • Fleece leg warmers
  • Polar Bullies wool socks
  • Sugoi windproof and fleece lined shoe covers (love these)
  • Summer bib shorts
  • Perl Izumi AmFIB bib tights

On my hands:
  • DeFeet glove liners
  • REI winter gloves

On my head:
  • Ibex Meru wool hat under helmet

It's only a half hour ride, but even with all this kit, my fingers and toes were numb by the time I got home.

Old 01-16-13, 10:05 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the 40-50 degree range, here is what I wear (not with team).

jersey
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_527290_-1___
wind/rain protection
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...93_-1___000000
shoe covers
https://www.probikekit.com/us/clothin...ver-shoes.html
bib tights
https://www.probikekit.com/us/clothin...ib-tights.html
gloves
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0052_511963_-1___

The above works great even in upper 30's and rainy wet conditions in Seattle. I do not feel the need for a cylcing skull cap unless the temps get closer to freezing. When it does get that cold, I add this.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...es/head-warmer

Last edited by joe_5700; 01-16-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 01:03 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Marmot "Randonneur" gloves, good down to 32 degrees or so, from REI.
Tights from REI, Novarro, I think, good down to 32 degrees or lower if it's dry, over my regular bike shorts.
Regular shoes with wool hiking socks and shoe covers, good down to 35-40.
Lake "All Weather" shoes with wool socks, good down to 32 degrees or lower.
Layered jerseys, whatever brand, 2-4 as required. One is a wool jersey, one a winter-weight longsleeve Novarro (?) jersey, one a longsleevel summerweight Canari jersey.
Beard for facial warmth.
Leg hair for additional leg insulation.
Old 01-16-13, 01:56 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best thing for me is a merino wool blend base layer. Thin, light, comfortable, and surprisingly warm. Mine is a cheapo from Costco. Paradox is the brand. I think it was $25. It is a blend, so it is only about 10-15% merino wool with a couple synthetics mixed in. This, combine with either a long or short sleeve jersey, depending on temp, and a light jacket for wind, makes for a very versatile combination for me. I also wear knicker lengh bibs and one or two pairs of merino wool socks. If it gets really cold, like lower than 40F, I'll throw some tights on over the knickers and maybe an extra layer up top too. I did 20 miles in 25F last weekend with this combo. My face was cold but the rest was comfortable.

Also, a wool cycling cap with ear flaps, some PI full finger gloves, and PI shoe covers round out the gear.

Last edited by vwchad; 01-16-13 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-16-13, 02:03 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't over-think this. Layering is the key, and know your different materials.

For your 40-50 degrees, get a windproof vest over your summer jersey, add a set of arm warmers and knee warmers, wear windproof full-finger gloves and toe covers, you are good to go.

When it gets to 30s, the only think I would do difference would be changing the vest to a windproof jacket, and get a fleecy (Roubaix material) bib knicker (3/4 length).

Oh, get a windproof skull cap that covers your ears would help too.
Old 01-17-13, 11:59 PM
crashdodson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your responses. I think I put together a good cold weather kit using your ideas. now I need to clean the dust off the bike.
Old 01-18-13, 04:31 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Ha. I rode home tonight and it was 40. My riding gear at this temp is heavy wool socks, bike shorts with cycling pants (Novara Headwind pants work well and leave enough room for another layer or leg warmers). On top is a thin long sleeved poly base layer with v-neck, a 15 year old polyester long sleeved cycling jersey and a wind breaker (Sugoi Zap jacket). The long sleeve jersey and jacket both have "necks" (like a low turtleneck) and keep cold out. My gloves are cheap pair of long finger leather cycling gloves with no padding/fleece. And key to staying warm...... FLEECE CYCLING SKULLCAP. If I add my cheap winter non-cycling gloves from Kohls, I am OK to 36º. I rode home earlier this week in 34º weather and was chilly; I think added a neck gaiter and a medium baselayer would have been comfy. I have a pair of thin sock liners in reserve for cold, but I haven't needed them yet.

What works for one person won't work for another. I dress in layers, but make sure I have wicking base layer. Keeping the head warm made the biggest difference in comfort. You really do lose body heat through your head! I also learned that a few degrees can make a difference. I absolutely HATED riding in cold wather; now I don't mind. Keep tweaking the clothing until you find what works for you.
Old 01-18-13, 12:59 PM
caloso

I have found that as long as my head, hands, and feet are warm, then the rest of me is comfortable.
Old 01-18-13, 01:37 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by caloso
I have found that as long as my head, hands, and feet are warm, then the rest of me is comfortable.
Those are my key areas as well. The rest of the body warms up quickly. I use one of those skull caps in the mid to high 40's. When it gets to the low 40's and 30's, I have a heavier fleece hat that comes down over my ears. I had waffled at the cost of the hat, but it does the job very well and I am now glad I bought it.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 01-18-13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 03:20 PM
richfell

Bikes: CAAD10, Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing I add to the items mentioned above when it is mid-thirties or colder is a neck gaiter. It really helps keep my cheeks, chin and neck area warm and fends off the wind nicely from those areas.
Old 01-28-13, 08:17 PM
crashdodson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got all of my cool weather gear in. I also got a cygolite expilion 700. My ride will start in daylight but finish after dark during these winter months.

Would you recommend I mount the light to the bike or to my helmet? Or what do you prefer? I dont have the cash to get a light for both my helmet and bike but this light has a mount for either. The road I mainly ride is pretty straight and flat.
Old 01-28-13, 10:55 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I must be a polar bear. No, you do get accustomed to it.
in 40-50 F - if it is dark out or cloudy I wear a wicking tee below a thin rain shell and either tights or MTB shorts, and thin woven gloves. If it is sunny, just a thin long sleeved jersey or trail running shirt and shorts.

30-40: I add: thin long sleeved jersey (rather than tee) or trail running shirt, thin earband, perhaps mid-weight gloves closer to 30.

20-30: I replace the long sleeved jersey with a lightweight fleece, mid-weight gloves, thin skullcap that covers my ears. Towards 20 I use a thin balaclava instead of the cap. I'll sometimes add wind/rain pants (close fitting).

10-20: I wear lightweight long sleeved base layer, mid-weight fleece, rain shell (pit zips open), mid weight gloves, tights under rain/wind pants, thin balaclava with fleece ear band (this usually comes off after 5-6 miles).

0-10: Pretty much the same as above, but I add shoe covers and wear back country ski gloves, pit zips closed about 75%, and I wear mid weight tights. I'll also add a windstop neck gaiter.

-10-0: same as above, with a heavier fleece for the second layer.