Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Things are wearing out

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Things are wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 05:12 PM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Things are wearing out

Put a few thousand miles on my bike and things are wearing out. Namely the seat, which is wide in the nose and seems to do a great job rubbing against the inside of my thighs, and the shoes, which I admittedly walk around in too much. Any way to keep these going for another couple thousand miles? If I can make it to August it'll be 1 year without spending a dime on my bike.

Old 05-19-14, 05:22 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Get a better bike fit so you aren't rubbing your thighs on your seat and bring some flip flops to walk around in.
Old 05-19-14, 06:09 PM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
Get a better bike fit so you aren't rubbing your thighs on your seat and bring some flip flops to walk around in.
My bike fit is fine lol. The seat is notorious for a wide nose, and I have large thighs.
Flip flops are gross. I bring regular shoes most places, but I've been wearing these ones a year and a half or so and walking around in them happens sometimes.

Neither suggestion helps me add life to my current gear though.
Old 05-19-14, 06:38 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I use Shoo Goo to add material to shoes and the corners of my cleats (shimano) to keep them going. You have to sand things a little to clean up and give the goo time to cure.

small tip, Goo doesn't stick to ice so you can use an ice cube to manipulate it on the shoe.
Old 05-19-14, 07:57 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
small tip, Goo doesn't stick to ice so you can use an ice cube to manipulate it on the shoe.
TIL. Gonna need to do this to my cleats.
Old 05-19-14, 10:34 PM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Do your parents have a Jacuzzi? The great thing about jacuzzis is that they're heated and they're the perfect size for a bicycle. Try filling it with Tri-Flow wet lubricant, turning the heat on high, and letting your bike soak in it whenever you're not riding it. The Teflon lubricant will take years off of your normal wear-and-tear parts, turning your poo-beater into a pristine well-lubricated work of art.
Old 05-19-14, 11:07 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stop walking in your riding shoes, move the saddle back so your thighs don't rub there.
Old 05-19-14, 11:59 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
Stop walking in your riding shoes, Don't buy a silly tri-dork saddle
Fixed.

Last edited by Huffandstuff; 05-20-14 at 12:00 AM. Reason: messed up the quote
Old 05-20-14, 01:45 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Use a pedal system that doesn't need stupid shoes. You don't need the stupid pedal system either.
Old 05-20-14, 02:35 AM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Higher Class
Do your parents have a Jacuzzi? The great thing about jacuzzis is that they're heated and they're the perfect size for a bicycle. Try filling it with Tri-Flow wet lubricant, turning the heat on high, and letting your bike soak in it whenever you're not riding it. The Teflon lubricant will take years off of your normal wear-and-tear parts, turning your poo-beater into a pristine well-lubricated work of art.
I don't even...

Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
Stop walking in your riding shoes, move the saddle back so your thighs don't rub there.
Walking in shoes just happens. I sit on the nose of the saddle, do you even know how this kind works?

Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Don't buy a silly tri-dork saddle
Sorry, I enjoy erections without medication. Let us know how your d*** works in 20 years.

Originally Posted by europa
Use a pedal system that doesn't need stupid shoes. You don't need the stupid pedal system either.
Didn't realize that clip in pedals were stupid now. I'll be sure to alert every pro rider everywhere. Who needs an upstroke anyways?

Holy F*** this forum is **** these days. Hairnet (thanks btw, I'll try the shoe goo. I think I have some laying around) was the only person who gave any helpful advice in 7 replies. 1 of 7. Damn
Old 05-20-14, 03:49 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Those Cobb Adamo style saddles are wide. You just have to live with the wear and tear.
you could tape it up but it would probably end up messy

I like the SMP saddles if you want the split with a narrow nose
Old 05-20-14, 04:10 AM
stryper
I just wanna ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
Those Cobb Adamo style saddles are wide. You just have to live with the wear and tear.
you could tape it up but it would probably end up messy

I like the SMP saddles if you want the split with a narrow nose
I was thinking of trying an SMP when this one is no longer usable. Which model(s) have you tried and liked?
Old 05-20-14, 05:43 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stryper
Didn't realize that clip in pedals were stupid now. I'll be sure to alert every pro rider everywhere. Who needs an upstroke anyways?
If you seriously imagine you're achieving anything with your 'upstroke', you really do not understand your riding and yes, I know you're preaching the roadie creed, but it was disproved in the nineties. You can find the tests and the results if you're willing to look, it's not hard. Similarly, you'll find modern racing coaches who preach good technique BEFORE going to clipless pedals because unless you have a good technique (hint, it doesn't include pulling and tugging at the pedals), your clipless system will only hinder you. But hey, that flies in the face of the roadie creed too. Clipless offer small advantages to professional racers and other highly tuned, highly skilled riders, minimal to buggerall for the rest of us.

So yeah, although a lot of people on this forum use clipless systems and ride road bikes, you'll also find this forum is a lot less forgiving of those who mindlessly follow popular culture, be that roadie, hipster or anything else. Just stop and think about what you're doing and spouting, you don't have to change anything, just gain an understanding which your reply completely failed to display.
Old 05-20-14, 06:31 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you seriously imagine you're achieving anything with your 'upstroke', you really do not understand your riding and yes, I know you're preaching the roadie creed, but it was disproved in the nineties. You can find the tests and the results if you're willing to look, it's not hard.
You didn't read the tests very carefully, europa. They say that cyclists don't pull up on the upstroke. But they also say that cyclists who use clipless pedals are also not actively pushing backwards against the pedal which is what cyclists without foot retention are doing, such that even beginners are a lot more efficient with foot retention. The stuff that you are spouting is just marketing by slow bike manufacturers like rivendell.
Old 05-20-14, 07:06 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
If you walk around in your cycling shoes a lot, why don't you switch to SPD style pedals and get walkable shoes ? You will still get all the benefits of clipless shoes w/o the biggest drawback.

As to your saddle, I'm a lot older than you and don't suffer from ED problems despite riding on a conventional saddle.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-20-14, 07:07 AM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sit on the nose of the saddle, do you even know how this kind works?
I know how they work, I bought one to try out. However unlike you I realized it was too wide at the nose and sent it back.

Holy F*** this forum is **** these days. Blah blah blah
You know what they say about asking a stupid question right?
Old 05-20-14, 08:11 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddles and shoes wear out. They wear faster for some than others. Your choice in a saddle, with your build, will translate to a saddle that wears faster. Not much you can do about that.

Same with shoes. They get walked in. Walk in them less, or expect to replace them. Hairnet's suggestion is best.

Worn parts look better.

To Europa. Clips and straps to clipless was night and day for me. Unless I have a SS townie, there is no way I'd ever go back to clips and straps. Climbing clipless is so much easier because of the force I can generate on the upstroke. Slowing and stopping through backpeddalling is also much easier.
Old 05-20-14, 09:45 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I have a similar dilemma:

Every time I order lunch, my food goes away as I eat. Sometimes it happens a little more slowly than others (depending on what else I'm doing at the time) but the end result is always the same - an empty plate. It's so annoying!

Is there any way for me to still eat but prevent my lunch from "disappearing"?

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 05-20-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-20-14, 09:51 AM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was thinking of trying an SMP when this one is no longer usable. Which model(s) have you tried and liked?
Evolution
but everyone is different

this chart will help
Selection table
Old 05-20-14, 09:57 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I have a similar dilemma:

Every time I order lunch, my food goes away as I eat. Sometimes it happens a little more slowly than others (depending on what else I'm doing at the time) but the end result is always the same - an empty plate. It's so annoying!

Is there any way for me to still eat but prevent my lunch from "disappearing"?
You'd uh... like to have your cake and eat it too?
Old 05-20-14, 11:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
... So yeah, although a lot of people on this forum use clipless systems and ride road bikes, you'll also find this forum is a lot less forgiving of those who mindlessly follow popular culture, be that roadie, hipster or anything else. Just stop and think about what you're doing and spouting, you don't have to change anything, just gain an understanding which your reply completely failed to display.
Europa,
I'm sure that the OP just caught you on a bad day. I usually enjoy your take on things - and like your more relax/enjoy the ride attitude. But this one was a bit, um, pedantic for you. Some folks do ride clipless, and know experientially why they do so...

To the OP,
I've not tried the Shoe-Goo fix, but it sounds like it's worth a try. Cleats do wear out, they're expendible. Pedals are more costly to replace.

As for the saddle, only you can know what works for you. If you like that saddle, find another one on the 'bay. Stock up.
Old 05-20-14, 11:16 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
You didn't read the tests very carefully, europa. They say that cyclists don't pull up on the upstroke. But they also say that cyclists who use clipless pedals are also not actively pushing backwards against the pedal which is what cyclists without foot retention are doing, such that even beginners are a lot more efficient with foot retention. The stuff that you are spouting is just marketing by slow bike manufacturers like rivendell.
Could someone point me to those tests? I'd really appreciate it.
Old 05-20-14, 11:27 AM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Could someone point me to those tests? I'd really appreciate it.
Me too. It doesn't make sense to me.
We spend a lot of time training to "spin circles" and train our muscles this way.
Without foot retention, I'm far less efficient and my feet will bounce off the pedals because I'm so used to spinning.
Old 05-20-14, 11:39 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
High-tech Cycling - Google Books The pedalling in circles thing has undergone some second guessing too but even that has come back around to you should just do what they've been doing for 100 years now and pedal smooth and fast.

It is the same situation with people who cite rolling resistance of tires and say "a 28mm tire has less rolling resistance than a 23," completely ignoring the fact that this is only true if you maintain the same air pressure when in fact the whole point of a narrower tube is to increase the air pressure.

Last edited by prooftheory; 05-20-14 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-20-14, 11:51 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
High-tech Cycling - Google Books The pedalling in circles thing has undergone some second guessing too but even that has come back around to you should just do what they've been doing for 100 years now and pedal smooth and fast.

It is the same situation with people who cite rolling resistance of tires and say "a 28mm tire has less rolling resistance than a 23," completely ignoring the fact that this is only true if you maintain the same air pressure when in fact the whole point of a narrower tube is to increase the air pressure.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.