Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

About "Support local bike shops"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

About "Support local bike shops"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 06:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That I was delusional as I'm single.

If you ask me what I think about it a bike brand, I'll tell you. It's hardy the same thing as asking about your spouse. Are you suggesting you married Canyon.

I know you're a newbie and maybe don't know what you're doing, but this is a classic troll thread.
Classic responses too from the usual suspects to any thread that questions or raises the subject of LBS "loyalty" or "support." Some posters appear to be "married" to their LBS through financial or emotional ties. Others have divorced themselves from such ties.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-04-20, 07:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Classic responses too from the usual suspects to any thread that questions or raises the subject of LBS "loyalty" or "support." Some posters appear to be "married" to their LBS through financial or emotional ties. Others have divorced themselves from such ties.
Not really. You're not actually reading the posts in this thread if you think that's what they're saying. Most fall into the "I use a LBS when it works for me or online when that works for me". One poster posted a new picture of his custom bike and said that he could only get that through an LBS, and people who do their own wrenching generally said they didn't have much use for a LBS. All of those are perfectly rational responses. Literally no one has posted in this thread saying you should sacrifice your own interests to support a LBS. OP continues to argue against a point no one in this thread is making to try to gin up an argument.

I'm a terrible mechanic and I have a couple good LBS near me. I rely on them for service. I don't go out of my way to buy parts and accessories from them and they're both fine with that. I don't tell people that's what they should do, and I don't care even a little bit as to whether anyone else thinks I'm doing it wrong.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-04-20, 08:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Literally no one has posted in this thread saying you should sacrifice your own interests to support a LBS.

I guess one has to resort to fabrication when no one has made the point one wants to take issue with. What I cannot wrap my head around is the mindset that compels one to argue against a point no one has made.

But one point of clarification: They guy who posted the photo of the custom bike did not order it through a LBS. The owner of the shop designed and built the frame himself. Glad he and I never got divorced.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-04-20, 08:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz

I guess one has to resort to fabrication when no one has made the point one wants to take issue with. What I cannot wrap my head around is the mindset that compels one to argue against a point no one has made.

But one point of clarification: They guy who posted the photo of the custom bike did not order it through a LBS. The owner of the shop designed and built the frame himself. Glad he and I never got divorced.

Let's have an argument over the meaning of the phrase "get that through".

Or I can just thank you for the clarification. I meant to say that. Did you notice I noted it was a new picture?
Old 02-04-20, 12:34 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
So, The GCN channel on Youtube made a video about supporting your LBS. I put in a comment about most bike shops do not have the choice I like and if ordered will take weeks and how after all is paid and done you become invisible. The LBS should be doing everything to keep my business, not the other way around.
Their reply?
"Biscuits and beer is a great way to make friends in the local bike shop."

Bribery to give them my money?
Old 02-04-20, 12:35 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
." Some posters appear to be "married" to their LBS through financial or emotional ties. Others have divorced themselves from such ties.
I have several ex's and done paying alimony and any other kind of support!

I'm a free man!

FTR, talking about bike shops, not actual wives.
Old 02-04-20, 12:40 PM
TheDudeIsHere

I don't tell people that's what they should do, and I don't care even a little bit as to whether anyone else thinks I'm doing it wrong.
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the "nobody's going to tell me to my face" thing.

I've met thousands of cyclists over my 23 years of cycling, tons and tons of conversatin' and never ever had anyone make and issue whether or not people supported their local bike shops or had an issue if you didn't.

Some mention their favorite shops, but nobody has ever gotten upset for another not going to the LBS. If anything, they're happy for you and say they wish they could do their own wrenching as well.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 02-04-20, 01:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
So, The GCN channel on Youtube made a video about supporting your LBS. I put in a comment about most bike shops do not have the choice I like and if ordered will take weeks and how after all is paid and done you become invisible. The LBS should be doing everything to keep my business, not the other way around.
Their reply?

Are you sure the LBS provides the Biscuits and beer, rather than expect their customer "friends"and other assorted cycling club bros. to provide treats to the staff in order to maintain their "friendship"?
Old 02-04-20, 01:15 PM
OuterMarker

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the "nobody's going to tell me to my face" thing.

I've met thousands of cyclists over my 23 years of cycling, tons and tons of conversatin' and never ever had anyone make and issue whether or not people supported their local bike shops or had an issue if you didn't.

Some mention their favorite shops, but nobody has ever gotten upset for another not going to the LBS. If anything, they're happy for you and say they wish they could do their own wrenching as well.
That was why I asked online. I've never had an issue until someone I didn't know decided to send ma FB message. It then made me wonder if others thought the same thing, but didn't want to tell me since that would make them look like a dick.
Likes For OuterMarker:
Old 02-04-20, 01:54 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by OuterMarker
That was why I asked online. I've never had an issue until someone I didn't know decided to send ma FB message. It then made me wonder if others thought the same thing, but didn't want to tell me since that would make them look like a dick.

Ah I see! Yeah, that seems kind of odd. Why not say it on the post instead of a PM? They knew they were somewhat out of line. Not as far as opinion, but as far as not just being able to say it openly for some reason.
Old 02-04-20, 03:23 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I've stopped in several of my LBS's after being away from it for a while. What I was struck by was the changes in brand and stock. different brands, less stock. Even the Trek dealer only had 2-3 road bikes in stock. I got an earful from one old-school independent about the business practices of some of the big name brands. Trek, in particular. The shops, in the changing and shrinking retail landscape, seem to have problems with the distributors and manufacturers, too. I'm not so sure the consumer who wants to save a few bucks buying tires on line is the big culprit here.
Old 02-04-20, 06:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
What are your favorite buggy-whip outlets?

If a shop cannot attract my business over the competition ... it simply cannot. if bike shops close because they are no longer profitable ... buy buggy whips?

If there is sufficient demand for bike mechanics, people will start renting small spaces and putting out online ads. If they do good work, word will spread, and they ... will be in business! And bike shops which can no longer compete with their own suppliers for bikes or with online retailers for parts, will go out of business.

It stands to reason that out of a given number of cyclists in a given region, some number will want or need the services of a mechanic/wheel builder. I can do all my own wrenching except building wheels. Some folks I used to ride with preferred to pay a mechanic for the convenience---drop the bike off, pick it up later and it is done, clean, tight, and tuned. Some folks are too busy, some simply want to spend their time doing other things. If there is a need, someone will fill it, history shows .....

Back at the turn of the 20th century, people who owned stables in-town opened garages and gas stations.

Except for some who demanded loyalty from former horse owners and whined and went broke.
Old 02-05-20, 08:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
there are plenty of buggy dealers within a few miles of here
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-05-20, 08:27 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
there are plenty of buggy dealers within a few miles of here
The Brush Valley FTW! The first time I rode through there (1996) I saw two Amish kids chasing two yoked horses through a field. Looks like they had gotten loose from the plow. Intimate sight. As you head towards Raymond Winter S.P. there is a place that sells scooters.
Old 02-05-20, 08:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
We rode out that way during spring planting season. A lot of farmers use 6 Clydesdale sized horses to plow. It's a pretty impressive sight.

I figure if all the bike shops in State College go out of business, the Amish bike shops will take up the slack.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-05-20, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
We rode out that way during spring planting season. A lot of farmers use 6 Clydesdale sized horses to plow. It's a pretty impressive sight.

I figure if all the bike shops in State College go out of business, the Amish bike shops will take up the slack.
Wow! I have seen four, but never six. They might be Belgians. I have seen them in Amish country

Further east, in Lancaster County, there is Shirk's. I think the owners are Mennonite. Unbelievable store amidst farmland. The place has everything, including Trek. I know a guy who lives here in Philly who is originally from out that way. Absent the need for emergency service, he will only take his bike to Shirk's. The place is so well known they don't even bother with a website, but they are on FB.

https://reallancastercounty.com/see-...rks-bike-shop/

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-05-20 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-05-20, 09:39 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Their reply?

I take that to mean something more along the lines of, "Hey take the time to get to know us. It's hurtful if you come in and take up hours of our time to learn what you want, then go buy it somewhere else."

I am fine with that attitude and I have learned to avoid one shop and go to another. The one I avoid doesn't really want my small stuff business, like parts and accessories. The other is glad to help me out with anything and is more of a Co-Op that helps the community and promotes cycling. I've spent a few hundred with them in a few months and it's been great. What is sad is that the shop I avoid has to rely on people who just want to buy bikes and drop them off for cleaning and to be maintained. It makes me wonder which type shop will survive in the long term.
Old 02-05-20, 10:03 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 376 Posts
I've had really good LBS experiences and some bad ones too. After not having one in town for a couple of years, a new one just opened up. They are friendly and helpful and organize group rides and stuff to promote cycling. I shop for accessories and consumables there sometimes. It's nice to have one in town again.
Old 02-05-20, 10:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Further east, in Lancaster County, there is Shirk's. I think the owners are Mennonite. Unbelievable store amidst farmland. The place has everything, including Trek.

I don't think that is a Trek ... maybe a Percheron .....
Old 02-05-20, 10:42 AM
Maelochs

Their reply?

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I take that to mean something more along the lines of, "Hey take the time to get to know us. It's hurtful if you come in and take up hours of our time to learn what you want, then go buy it somewhere else."

I am fine with that attitude and I have learned to avoid one shop and go to another. The one I avoid doesn't really want my small stuff business, like parts and accessories. The other is glad to help me out with anything and is more of a Co-Op that helps the community and promotes cycling. I've spent a few hundred with them in a few months and it's been great. What is sad is that the shop I avoid has to rely on people who just want to buy bikes and drop them off for cleaning and to be maintained. It makes me wonder which type shop will survive in the long term.
Look, there is no reason to give gifts to people before they do me a service .... and no need to give tips if they charge full price.

Obviously, trying on shoes or helmets at a shop and then ordering online is bad morality. But that really isn't the issue. it is that they don't even have the stuff to try on, or that what they do have doesn't interest me, particularly at three times the cost online.

The only things I would Need to try on would be helmets or shoes. And as far as that goes, I have a "Bell"-shaped head, so I just order bell helmets online. Shoes I need extra-extra-wide ... and stores simply don't carry them.

So ... why should I bring biscuits and beers?

And seriously, why should I Need to make friends with the staff at Any store? After all, it is just a business transaction. Are they going to give me discounts in excess of the value of the biscuits and beer? Then how is it a positive for me? Are they going to do better work if i bribe them? In that case I not only won't bribe them, I won't go to the shop. I deserve the best whether I bribe you or not---Every customer does. Am i going to go to the head of the list if I bribe them? How is that fair? Unless that is stated shop policy .... and I really cannot imagine any shop posting a sigh saying, "if you want it today, you gotta pay." Eh?

If i go to a store to buy something, I expect to get good treatment, and honest pricing. If I am not a regular, and a regular comes in, and is in a hurry, I understand that s/he will get preferred service ... but other than that, i expect to be serviced in the order in which I arrived. Even if the person right after me buys stuff there weekly. If someone wheels in the bike the shop tunes up weekly and says, "I have a race tomorrow, can you swap out XX" then I would say, "yeah, go ahead of me, i can wait a day, the race cannot." If the person is getting less time-sensitive work ... first come, first served, or I will never come back.

As far as buying the staff a six-pack of imported beer .... Let's get the relationship straight, here. I am the Customer. They want My business. I can go elsewhere. They should be offering Me incentives to use their services and give them my money. How brainwashed are bike riders if they think they need to pay for the privilege of paying for for bike parts and service?

The bike shop I rarely visit is run by people I used to ride with (before i got slow.) I will hopefully regain lost speed and ride with them again. We recognize each other when I go in, some know my name. i know some of them by name, and the rest through shared experience. If i want to share some ale with them ... it will be for their company, after work, not as a bribe to do the work I am already paying for. And friends or not, they had best be professional in doing business with me.

Why should bike shops be different from every other business on the planet?
Old 02-05-20, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

. What is sad is that the shop I avoid has to rely on people who just want to buy bikes and drop them off for cleaning and to be maintained.
What's sad about that?
Old 02-05-20, 10:58 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
This bike is like the cowbell of bike threads

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-05-20, 11:33 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
What's sad about that?
It's sad to me that you don't understand. Maybe I expect too much of people, or maybe I just don't appreciate the money is all that matters attitude.
Old 02-05-20, 11:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
This bike is like the cowbell of bike threads

It's a nice bike, but it ain't no GMC Denali.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-05-20, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's sad to me that you don't understand. Maybe I expect too much of people, or maybe I just don't appreciate the money is all that matters attitude.

Or maybe you're a condescension addict.

They're providing services people pay for. Are they violating your sense of artistic integrity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.