Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What I learned about MTB shopping

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 08:40 PM
SW7783

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've spent quite a bit of time in purchasing my mountain bike. It started a year ago when I decided I wanted to be able to ride on more that just paved trails and roads with my road bike. So I started reading about mountain bikes and looked at Trek's line up because I already owned a Trek road bike that I'm very happy with. I read the differences between 26" and 29" bikes and understood the trade-offs. I was originally looking at purchasing a 29er Wahoo or Marlin. I wanted to be able to put 700c tires on and basically have a hybrid bike. I continued reading up on different components levels of quality and brand. I learned that despite liking the idea of 29" tires the frames were just too tall for me. I stand 5'6" tall with an inseam of about 28.5". So I decided that in order to have a "safe" stand over height I would need 26" tires. The next thing I looked at was top tube length. I stood over a few bikes and had space with 15" and 17" frames, but of course a 17" frame would be longer. So I measured the top tube of my road bike because I find it a comfortable length. It measured about 21" C-C. When I test rode a Marlin this year I had the experience of trying Sram x4 rapid fire shifters and I learned I didn't much care for them. Perhaps I've gotten so used to my Shimano Flight Deck brifters that I didn't like having to use my thumb for shifting up and down. When I test rode a Fuji Tahoe with Shimano Deore rapid fire shifters which are shifted with thumb and index finger. I liked that a lot more. The next biggest factor for choosing by bike was the suspension fork. Most of the entry level bikes have Suntour XC~ forks with 28mm or 30mm stanchions. I wanted to have 32mm stanchions and the Tahoe line up started with a RockShox XC32. The last decision I had to make was what color and it was the deciding factor between two levels of the same model.

So to summarize and recommend steps to picking a (mountain) bike, here's what I learned:
1) Get the proper frame size - check standover and top tube/reach while riding. Online size calculators can get you a good starting point for frame size but you'll have to test ride or look into specific geometries to narrow it to one.
2) Decide what kind of shifters you like and see if you have a preference, it's something you have to use from the day you take your bike home.
3) Is there a particular feature you want, either a fork spec or perhaps hydraulic brakes, and is it within your budget?
4) Pick the color you like most. Some models come in two color schemes and others don't. Is the cost difference with upgrading to a slightly better bike for a color you like more?

I hope my experience helps other in their search for new bikes.
Old 06-10-12, 10:16 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GEOlson
So to summarize and recommend steps to picking a (mountain) bike, here's what I learned:
1) Get the proper frame size - check standover and top tube/reach while riding. Online size calculators can get you a good starting point for frame size but you'll have to test ride or look into specific geometries to narrow it to one.
2) Decide what kind of shifters you like and see if you have a preference, it's something you have to use from the day you take your bike home.
3) Is there a particular feature you want, either a fork spec or perhaps hydraulic brakes, and is it within your budget?
4) Pick the color you like most. Some models come in two color schemes and others don't. Is the cost difference with upgrading to a slightly better bike for a color you like more?

I hope my experience helps other in their search for new bikes.
That's an excellent summary. And it should be pointed out that you can't do any of this buying on-line. I think it's much more important to try out a mountain bike in the shop or, if used, in person off of CL, when compared to buying a road bike. You did your homework correctly and you'll probably be much happier with your bike in the long run.
Old 06-10-12, 10:20 AM
SW7783

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it is important to test ride and see how a bike.feels. in my case I was set to get a 19" because I never owned a mountain bike, and didn't know how it was supposed to feel. But I did lots of internet searches, got help here, and was able to decide what bike I wanted based off riding similar bikes. Once my shop gets the bike in and assembled I will test ride it which I'm really looking forward to.
Old 06-10-12, 02:33 PM
mrgrunt99

Bikes: 1994 Giant Yukon (first mountain bike), 2003 Trek Fuel, Custom Full Carbon hardtail MB (in progress), Scattante with Dura Ace (custom build up)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEOlson
Thanks, it is important to test ride and see how a bike.feels. in my case I was set to get a 19" because I never owned a mountain bike, and didn't know how it was supposed to feel. But I did lots of internet searches, got help here, and was able to decide what bike I wanted based off riding similar bikes. Once my shop gets the bike in and assembled I will test ride it which I'm really looking forward to.
Glad to hear that you were able to narrow down your search....and it sounds as though you will be going with a 26er. And just fyi...you can easily fit 29" wheels with road tires or even cross tires on a 26er frame. Here is just an exampl https://www.dreambike.com/69.htm And if you have disc brakes, running 29er wheels with roadie/cross tires would be easy as cake, peice of pie ;-/)