Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddles

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Brooks Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 03:19 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Brooks Saddles

We have a nice but old Cannondale RT 1000. Since I have a bad back, I was thinking of getting a new Brooks with springs on it. (Capt. position.) Which one of the Brooks line up is best for bad backs?
Old 03-27-21, 09:12 PM
Badidea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have the funds, check out the Selle Anatomica site as they are having a 20% off sale with their saddles and you can get the Kinect seatpost as well. It may not work for captain position as the spring section of the seatpost is about 3 or 4 inches.

The thing I hear about the Brooks is that you have to break them in and it takes a while. Haven't tried them myself but the Selle Anatomica saddles are great. I have an X1 that I'm a bit overweight for and have since added an H2. The leather is great. Done several 70+ mile rides on them. I'm one of those guys who doesn't ride at all for 5 months then decides to do a century. Not sure I could do that if I had a hard leather saddle that wasn't broken in.

The Selle saddles don't have a spring option though.
Old 03-27-21, 10:36 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
We have a nice but old Cannondale RT 1000. Since I have a bad back, I was thinking of getting a new Brooks with springs on it. (Capt. position.) Which one of the Brooks line up is best for bad backs?
Brooks B-67 is my go to. The sprung models don't really have a break in period. They just work. That being said, it's just my opinion...
Old 03-28-21, 08:17 AM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Badidea
If you have the funds, check out the Selle Anatomica site as they are having a 20% off sale with their saddles and you can get the Kinect seatpost as well. It may not work for captain position as the spring section of the seatpost is about 3 or 4 inches.

The thing I hear about the Brooks is that you have to break them in and it takes a while. Haven't tried them myself but the Selle Anatomica saddles are great. I have an X1 that I'm a bit overweight for and have since added an H2. The leather is great. Done several 70+ mile rides on them. I'm one of those guys who doesn't ride at all for 5 months then decides to do a century. Not sure I could do that if I had a hard leather saddle that wasn't broken in.

The Selle saddles don't have a spring option though.
I’ll second the recommendation for the Sella Anatomical saddles. After trying multiple saddles, this was finally the one that worked for me. It took about 100 miles to “break in”, vs many more miles for my friend’s Brooks saddle to break in (but both are now perfect for each of us). I now have over 22,000 miles on the saddle (mostly cycle-touring where I’m in the saddle for long hours). And with the periodic sale prices on Selle Anatomica, they’re a decent bargain.
Old 03-28-21, 06:50 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I have a B-67 with about a million miles...now on it's third bike, my touring bike. I have a Brooks Flyer (B-17 w/ springs) on my Paramount. B-67 is better for a more upright position, a bit wider and a little shorter.
Old 03-28-21, 09:13 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
You're asking strangers on the internet to diagnose and treat your back problem?
There are many different types of back problems with different treatment regimens. Finding the best position on the bike is more likely to provide you relief than any saddle.
I think you're better off visiting a sports medicine doctor.
Brent
Old 03-28-21, 09:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
You're asking strangers on the internet to diagnose and treat your back problem?
Nope. He asked for a saddle recommendation.
Old 03-28-21, 09:27 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Nope. He asked for a saddle recommendation.
"Which one of the Brooks line up is best for bad backs?"
Brent