Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the TERN verge x11 ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:25 PM
roguewave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was looking at this bike and wondering if anyone has one or has an opinion on one.
Thanks

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/verge-x11
Old 06-15-23, 12:36 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by roguewave
Was looking at this bike and wondering if anyone has one or has an opinion on one.
Thanks

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/verge-x11
$2,699? No. For that money I'd be looking for a bike that brings more to the table like a Pacific Cycles Reach.

Or for a lot less money, depending on your world location, I'd build myself a similar though better specced bike based on an FnHon Tornado frameset. And I'd still have about $1,500 leftover at the end.

FnHon Tornado frameset that goes for no more than $250 (handlepost included) in Asia.

...so that Tern for $2,699? No.​​​

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-15-23 at 02:34 AM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 06-15-23, 02:38 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
$2,699? No. For that money I'd be looking for a bike that brings more to the table like a Pacific Cycles Reach.

Or for a lot less money, depending on your world location, I'd build myself a similar though better specced bike based on an FnHon Tornado frameset. And I'd still have about $1,500 leftover at the end.

FnHon Tornado frameset that goes for no more than $250 (handlepost included) in Asia.

...so that Tern for $2,699? No.​​​
thank you Ron for the input, I see the reach GT is $3020.
Old 06-15-23, 07:47 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 142 Posts
The Fnhon looks like a good choice not only from a budget perspective but also for quality. In North America I think that Tern and Dahon market their bikes as high end products. This could explain the price differences.
Old 06-15-23, 08:30 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
In North America I think that Tern and Dahon market their bikes as high end products. This could explain the price differences.
I don't think anyone considers a Dahon Boardwalk a high end product. I think its safer to say that both Dahon and Tern have a range of models in a range of pricing ...
Old 06-15-23, 08:57 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The upcoming Origami Swift has a similarly-wide gear range (11 - 42t) but will be faster with its 58T chainring, will be chromoly, will also have hydraulic disc brakes, will come standard with full fenders and rear carrier rack/stand, will actually include pedals! Will cost less than $900
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-15-23, 09:27 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 142 Posts
Agree for people who follow the various available products. Those companies want to create the perception of high quality. Quality being defined on different criteria.
Old 06-15-23, 01:43 PM
Hrodwolf

Bikes: Tern Verge X11 (2021), Helix Ultralight (2023)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I live in Europe, so no origami for me (or high shipping costs). I'm also not a mechanic, so I can't build a bike myself (or choose the right components).
I have the Tern Verge X11 and it's a great folding bike.

Keep in mind that it's built for the road, and good roads at that, as it uses thin tires.

I bought it 2 years ago and the price has now gone up 20% due to supply chain issues.
When I bought it, there were only two types of bikes: the cheap and the expensive.

The Verge X11 is expensive, but it's a performance bike.
The components are high end and I was pleasantly surprised because it rides almost like a regular bike. It rides better than my old MTB with mid-range components (Deore).
This is my first and only folding bike so I can't really compare.

Here are 2 interesting videos:
The first one is an honest and interesting review

The second one is by a guy who has a lot of experience with folders.

I can attest that the bike is tough. I have taken it to places not meant for it.

It's not the smallest folder, and when folded it doesn't roll well because the magnet isn't strong enough.

I agree with the conclusions of both videos: the X11 is incredible, but some components are overkill. And it's expensive.

They agree with the opinions posted here: you can have the same level of quality at a lower price.

Like the reviewers, I don't regret buying it.
I use my X11 for commuting (taking it on board) as often as I can, but I'm looking for a smaller folder for commuting as the train is too crowded at times.
I'll keep the X11 of course as I love it.

Think about how you're going to use your bike and watch the videos, You'll see if the Verge X11 is for you.
Likes For Hrodwolf:
Old 06-15-23, 04:13 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Pinigis
The upcoming Origami Swift has a similarly-wide gear range (11 - 42t) but will be faster with its 58T chainring, will be chromoly, will also have hydraulic disc brakes, will come standard with full fenders and rear carrier rack/stand, will actually include pedals! Will cost less than $900
For those new around here, Pinigis is the owner of the Origami so you'll need to take his suggestion as essentially advertisement.

"will be faster with its 58T chainring"
This is misleading. What he should have said instead is, "it can achieve, subject to rider input, a higher top-end speed". To me, the Swift is too highly geared for use with a rack as intended so buyer beware.

Yeah, good luck schlepping stuff up inclines on the included rack with only 28 gear-inches at the bottom.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-15-23 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 07:08 PM
Pinigis 

For those new around here, Pinigis is the owner of the Origami so you'll need to take his suggestion as essentially advertisement.

"will be faster with its 58T chainring"
This is misleading. What he should have said instead is, "it can achieve, subject to rider input, a higher top-end speed". To me, the Swift is too highly geared for use with a rack as intended so buyer beware.

Yeah, good luck schlepping stuff up inclines on the included rack with only 28 gear-inches at the bottom.

If 28 gear inches isn’t low enough for you it’s a simple job to swap out the chainring. We will even do if for you for free.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-15-23, 07:57 PM
Ron Damon

If 28 gear inches isn’t low enough for you it’s a simple job to swap out the chainring. We will even do if for you for free.
Good to see that you provide that option. Though I reckon many folks won't pay attention when buying and have to do it themselves once they receive the bike.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-16-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-17-23, 10:25 AM
roguewave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks y’all, good info !
Old 06-21-23, 03:57 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Well, the verge x11 is arguably the "tern Halo folding bike", they pretty much though everything at it. It is fitted with Sram Force1 and GX transmission components, Shimano Deore braking system. If you like at aluminium gravel bike fitted with this range of components, you will be in a similar price range.
Now, it is not cheap and for a commuting folding bike, it may be overkill and as other said, it is possible to find good folder that will do 90% of the job for 50% of the price. Look for something like shimano Sora groupset or Tiagra Hydraulic groupset.

I think the Verge P10 is a much better option than the X11 as the main "performance" difference is the weight saving on the crank (300g lighter), saddle and tyres Durano vs One... you can swap the tyres and remove the kickstand and fit the saddle you like....

The D9 is not bad but would need a 11-40 cassette, better tyres and saddle. It is heavier because on the wheelset which is stronger though.
Old 06-21-23, 11:07 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
It isn't. And the other poster is right. Most won't know how to make the swap, or that they could/should ask for you to do it for them. So .... why not offer the bike with a 22" low gear OEM, whatever that makes the top gear. I'm sure it will be over 100" which would be plenty. Those who want a 58T chainring will know where to get one, or you can make the same offer in your brochure.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 06-21-23, 01:16 PM
Hrodwolf

Bikes: Tern Verge X11 (2021), Helix Ultralight (2023)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Well, the verge x11 is arguably the "tern Halo folding bike", they pretty much though everything at it. It is fitted with Sram Force1 and GX transmission components, Shimano Deore braking system. If you like at aluminium gravel bike fitted with this range of components, you will be in a similar price range.
Now, it is not cheap and for a commuting folding bike, it may be overkill and as other said, it is possible to find good folder that will do 90% of the job for 50% of the price. Look for something like shimano Sora groupset or Tiagra Hydraulic groupset.

I think the Verge P10 is a much better option than the X11 as the main "performance" difference is the weight saving on the crank (300g lighter), saddle and tyres Durano vs One... you can swap the tyres and remove the kickstand and fit the saddle you like....

The D9 is not bad but would need a 11-40 cassette, better tyres and saddle. It is heavier because on the wheelset which is stronger though.
That's a fair assessment. Do not buy the X11 just for commuting.

However, its reduced weight compared to the P10 (1.5 kg) is welcome when you have to carry it up the stairs at the station if you use it also for commuting.

I really enjoy it when cycling in the countryside and on the long avenues of Paris.
Old 06-21-23, 02:51 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It isn't. And the other poster is right. Most won't know how to make the swap, or that they could/should ask for you to do it for them. So .... why not offer the bike with a 22" low gear OEM, whatever that makes the top gear. I'm sure it will be over 100" which would be plenty. Those who want a 58T chainring will know where to get one, or you can make the same offer in your brochure.
First gear in a 6-speed Brompton is 33 gear inches and I don't see people carrying them up hills.

A 22" first gear would give yo uan 84" top gear, not bad, but you will still be spinning out.
Old 06-21-23, 03:38 PM
Ron Damon

First gear in a 6-speed Brompton is 33 gear inches and I don't see people carrying them up hills.

A 22" first gear would give yo uan 84" top gear, not bad, but you will still be spinning out.
Your experience and outlook is limited then, if you think that a Brompton's gearing and 33 gear-inches are some sort of reference, or that 58T is an appropriate chainring size for a 406 size wheel bike with a cargo rack and 50mm wide tires.

In my experience of touring and riding around town with a load, a gear range of 22-84 gear-inches is far preferable to the stock gearing on the Swift. I rarely spin out and in the instances that it happens I think of it as the justifiable price for able to carry a load up inclines. A fair trade-off. My ISO406 wheel touring bikes have and have had a 47T chainring. 47T.

Finally, the underlying problem here is that the Swift is ambiguously placed. It's chromoly with a rack and 50mm wide tires (Kenda Kontact 50-406 as far as I can tell from the images on your website), yet it's meant for speed with a 58T ring in the front? What? As configured, it's neither fish nor fowl, neither a speed machine nor a tourer/utility carrier.

​​​​​
Old 06-21-23, 04:54 PM
Pinigis 

Your experience and outlook is limited then, if you think that a Brompton's gearing and 33 gear-inches are some sort of reference, or that 58T is an appropriate chainring size for a 406 size wheel bike with a cargo rack and 50mm wide tires.

In my experience of touring and riding around town with a load, a gear range of 22-84 gear-inches is far preferable to the stock gearing on the Swift. I rarely spin out and in the instances that it happens I think of it as the justifiable price for able to carry a load up inclines. A fair trade-off. My ISO406 wheel touring bikes have and have had a 47T chainring. 47T.

Finally, the underlying problem here is that the Swift is ambiguously placed. It's chromoly with a rack and 50mm wide tires (Kenda Kontact 50-406 as far as I can tell from the images on your website), yet it's meant for speed with a 58T ring in the front? What? As configured, it's neither fish nor fowl, neither a speed machine nor a tourer/utility carrier.

​​​​​
cool, like I said earlier, we are happy to swap the 58t gif 52t at no cost.

The Swift is designed for versatility, that’s we prove such a wide gear range. Yes, it can do a lot
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-22-23, 01:44 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Not sure about that, my training bike it geared got 27 to 85 and I don't spin out.
My gravel is geared for either 19 to 87 or 21 to 97 depending of terrain. I don't spin out; most I get is 90 to 100 rpm.
Old 06-22-23, 02:23 AM
Ron Damon

cool, like I said earlier, we are happy to swap the 58t gif 52t at no cost.

The Swift is designed for versatility, that’s we prove such a wide gear range. Yes, it can do a lot
Cool. So stock, it is neither utility hauler or tourer, or a road rig for speedy riding. Yeah, real versatile.
​​
Btw, my offer to build one up still stands. At least I'd build it with clarity of purpose, with no 100-odd gear inches at the top and 50mm wide tires together with a pannier rack and a misleading boast that's it's faster than a Tern X11 cuz it's got a 58T chainring.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-22-23 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-22-23, 07:42 AM
Pinigis 

Cool. So stock, it is neither utility hauler or tourer, or a road rig for speedy riding. Yeah, real versatile.
​​
Btw, my offer to build one up still stands. At least I'd build it with clarity of purpose, with no 100-odd gear inches at the top and 50mm wide tires together with a pannier rack and a misleading boast that's it's faster than a Tern X11 cuz it's got a 58T chainring.
We have made frame kits available on our website for those who want a custom build.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 04-01-24, 07:10 PM
davidhunternyc

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It's a very different comparison, but in terms of fast speed and comfort, how would you all compare the Tern Verge X11 vs. the Brompton T-Line vs. the Helix Ultralight? The Helix being the outlier and new kid on the block.
Old 04-02-24, 07:05 AM
Sentinel1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by davidhunternyc
It's a very different comparison, but in terms of fast speed and comfort, how would you all compare the Tern Verge X11 vs. the Brompton T-Line vs. the Helix Ultralight? The Helix being the outlier and new kid on the block.
I've ridden the Tline and I own the X11. The Tline is the Rolls Royce of folding and easy portability. It's also pretty fast. I got up to 24mph on it with some effort. But it isn't a comfortable bike. You will feel every bump with a vengeance. And constantly have to worry about pot holes and nasty cracks on the road. Your wallet will also be on life support at $5000 a pop.

The X11 has a bigger footprint folded obviously with wheels nearly 6 inches bigger than the Brompton. But it is FAST. And the most comfortable fast bike I've ever sat on. Even more than it's little brother the X10. It can barrell up to 24mph without breaking a sweat and if you really push it. It can break 30mph.

Its so SMOOTH and buttery handles like a full sized bike. But accelerates alot better from a stop. And where it ABSOLUTELY annihilates the Brompton is on STEEP hills. Theres never been a hill the X11 and the X10 couldn't climb. On the hills where I live you will be coming off a pline even tline and walking your bike up them.

On an X11/X10 you will float up them. Minimal burn in the legs. And panting in the lungs. And second hand you can buy either one for a fraction of the price of a Tline.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-02-24 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For Sentinel1:
Old 04-02-24, 07:26 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentinel1
The X11 has a bigger footprint folded obviously with wheels nearly 6 inches bigger than the Brompton.
Verge X11: ETRTO451x28 overall diameter about 451+(2*28) = 507mm
T-line: ETRTO349x35, overall diameter about 349+(2*35) = 419mm

Difference -88mm = -3.46 inches = 17% smaller.

An aluminum frame is stiffer and less comfortable than a titanium frame and in practice, the T-line frame is softer than the C-line and P-line steel frame so less uncomfortable.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 04-02-24, 08:26 AM
Sentinel1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Verge X11: ETRTO451x28 overall diameter about 451+(2*28) = 507mm
T-line: ETRTO349x35, overall diameter about 349+(2*35) = 419mm

Difference -88mm = -3.46 inches = 17% smaller.

An aluminum frame is stiffer and less comfortable than a titanium frame and in practice, the T-line frame is softer than the C-line and P-line steel frame so less uncomfortable.

I'm not talking about the frame. I'm talking about the ride quality. You will feel just about every imperfection in the road. You feel it less on bigger wheels. And I've ridden past pot holes even over them. That would be life changing experiences for the worse. For a bromptons small front wheel. We're it to get locked in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.