Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 TdF Thread?

Old 07-24-14, 06:34 PM
YMCA
starting pistol means war

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moyene Corniche
I respect Nibali but let's keep it real. he has a long palmare to fill before he can approach Indurain, let alone Hinault.
I suppose, but cmon, the way Nibali took the Classics guys out on the cobbled stage. That was genius. Barring Boom.
Old 07-24-14, 08:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After that Jack Bauer stage, I was making jokes about sprinters stealing things. Well, this sea lion is totally a sprinter.

Old 07-24-14, 09:13 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Moyene Corniche
The reference is to the 13 TT wins by Hinault. All 13 in the TDF.
As far as best all rounder, Big Mig eclipses Nibali in that domain as Indurain was also well capable of winning a sprint, TT or Mountain Stage.
I respect Nibali but let's keep it real. he has a long palmare to fill before he can approach Indurain, let alone Hinault.
corny moy luvs the doperz.
Old 07-25-14, 07:23 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCA
I suppose, but cmon, the way Nibali took the Classics guys out on the cobbled stage. That was genius. Barring Boom.
agree. he hasnt put a wrong foot forward in this TdF, and is clearly the class of the field just as he was when he won the giro last year. great bad weather rider too. honestly, to me, his giro 2013 and TdF this year remind me of performances by "he whose name must not be spoken" circa late 90s early 2000s.

*and to clarify, i'm not suggesting anything untoward.
Old 07-25-14, 08:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
So are we pretending these guys are clean, or do we just not care anymore?
Old 07-25-14, 08:15 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
for me its both i think.

Re: Nibali specifically - i am not presuming him to be dirty. nor am i trolling the internet for evidence to say otherwise.
Old 07-25-14, 09:00 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Nibali's past is iffy at best. However at least he's not just embarrassing the rest of the field (ala froome). I mean until yesterday he really hadn't left everyone in the dust. Considering he really was probably third favorite for the tour, the big time gap really hasn't been from like overpowering mountain finishes, it's just because his two main rivals on the same level weren't there and he had gained some great time on other non mountain stages. To me, it's a very believable TdF winner, very all around, very impressive overall performance. But who knows really.
Old 07-25-14, 09:12 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I think Nibali's past is iffy at best. However at least he's not just embarrassing the rest of the field (ala froome). I mean until yesterday he really hadn't left everyone in the dust. Considering he really was probably third favorite for the tour, the big time gap really hasn't been from like overpowering mountain finishes, it's just because his two main rivals on the same level weren't there and he had gained some great time on other non mountain stages. To me, it's a very believable TdF winner, very all around, very impressive overall performance. But who knows really.

I agree. Not to mention, the mountain stages have been shorter and I wouldn't say that this tour was as hard as the past tours aside from the climate. Not to mention, Nibali can set a pretty steady pace climbing. He doesn't have to jump on attacks and that can really make a difference.

BTW, those kemo bikes are SICK!! wish they were sold in the USA.
Old 07-25-14, 09:13 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The physiology at the front of the Tour - The Science of Sport
Old 07-25-14, 09:15 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
just don't care
Old 07-25-14, 09:18 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
he's about 7 minutes ahead, 2 of those from the cobbled stage.

He gained 1 min on everyone yesterday and 50 seconds on the stage that Contador crashed out. Those are significant chunks of time, and this doesn't include the stages where only Peraud stayed with him and everyone else conceded more than a minute. He never lost time to anyone on the mountains. If that's not overpowering, i'm not sure what is
Old 07-25-14, 09:30 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist

He gained 1 min on everyone yesterday and 50 seconds on the stage that Contador crashed out. Those are significant chunks of time, and this doesn't include the stages where only Peraud stayed with him and everyone else conceded more than a minute. He never lost time to anyone on the mountains. If that's not overpowering, i'm not sure what is
+1.

Creatre, are you sure you're watching the current 2014 tour de france? this is an absolute dominant performance. no one else is remotely close to him.
Old 07-25-14, 09:34 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist

Yeah but it's different. He's been slowing chipping away at it with consistancy. And has really had overall a really good tour where he made no mistakes. He's also had other people generally climbing around the same level as him, other than yesterday. But still yesterday, his time was like 26th best up that climb or something, nothing amazing for recent tour winners. It's different than froome (or contador of old) where there is a pack of 3 or 4 of the best climbers of the world all on the max, and he just rides away from them like they are doing z2. Not to mention if Contador and Froome were still here he'd likely be in second or third, and that 7 minutes would be gone. The 7 minutes to me is not amazing simply because there is no one else that was on his level for this tour because of the two other main favorites crashing out.
Old 07-25-14, 09:35 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride today by Garmin. Like seeing those risky impressive performances that pay off!
Old 07-25-14, 09:49 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDcatV
+1.

Creatre, are you sure you're watching the current 2014 tour de france? this is an absolute dominant performance. no one else is remotely close to him.
i think it also speaks to the fact the the french guys we are rooting for and TVG and others are really at this point 2nd tier guys. Had Nairo been in the race, Froomey/Contador not crashed out, the time gaps to Thibot and others would probably be the same if not more and instead of podiums those guys would be fiighting spots 6-7-8.
Old 07-25-14, 10:15 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
i think it also speaks to the fact the the french guys we are rooting for and TVG and others are really at this point 2nd tier guys. Had Nairo been in the race, Froomey/Contador not crashed out, the time gaps to Thibot and others would probably be the same if not more and instead of podiums those guys would be fiighting spots 6-7-8.
^ Agreed.
Old 07-25-14, 10:43 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
Plus people stopped racing Nibali a while ago, they're racing each other for the podium spots. No one is going to chase him with the possibility of blowing up and losing their spot on the podium so they're all playing it safe and racing each other. I think that's making Nibali look more dominant but I don't think anyone in the race cares what he's doing now.
Old 07-25-14, 12:33 PM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Plus people stopped racing Nibali a while ago, they're racing each other for the podium spots. No one is going to chase him with the possibility of blowing up and losing their spot on the podium so they're all playing it safe and racing each other. I think that's making Nibali look more dominant but I don't think anyone in the race cares what he's doing now.
Agree with this statement the most and I think it is the reason he has the gap that he does. Pinot was not going to follow Nibali yesterday because of risk of blowing up. I think once he had his 3+ minute lead the others really had given up hope of winning because barring any crash he was on another level. I don't blame them really, for Valverde this was his last shot and going into the tour he knew it would be near impossible for him to hang with Froome, Contador and Nibbles for a top 3. All of a sudden he is second and has a shot. It's been great racing for the podium regardless and I think Nibali is a great all around rider. Would have been interesting to see how he handled the attacks from Froome and Contador.
Old 07-25-14, 12:41 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Uncle Liggett is finally beginning to grow on me..."lumpy" course indeed!

Now back to arguing about who is the best in this year's Tour.
Old 07-25-14, 12:43 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
garmin was less faily today, good for them.

was as about to suggest they just pack it up and come back to "dominate" the US racing scene.

as for nibali, he had to ride the same courses that crashed out the other favorites - not his fault they had bad luck/couldn't stay upright.

my race videos
Old 07-25-14, 01:49 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
i'm pretty sure they just did that to spite you
Old 07-25-14, 03:19 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Not sure what's iffy about Nibali's past; he has a history of being strongly opinionated about doping and dopers. Doesn't mean it can't be all a cynical self-defense strategy, but he doesn't have any history of suspicion that I am aware of.

And as already pointed out, I think it's hugely misleading to say that Nibali's "dominant" performance is evidence of doping. He's been the only true elite GC rider in the race since stage 10. No one else has given us reason to think, in the past, they should be at his level now - at least not yet. So between no one else really being in a position to challenge, plus the single biggest chunk of time he gained on the rest being due to skillful riding on the cobbles, plus no one really racing against him in the Pyrenees, since they clearly couldn't do enough to win, you get the result we have.

None of that means that we shouldn't have any skepticism, the post linked to by thechemist is a great summary of where things stand and a good guide to forming opinions about the "believability" of Nibali's performance IMO. But I personally can't go through life just assuming every good performance is due to cheating, and I have no less reason to trust that Nibali is clean than I did Sastre, or Evans, or Wiggins or Froome. Those guys could all have been on the sauce when they won, but I don't have any particular reason to believe that other than that they won. Someone has to win the damn thing, and even a dominant win isn't necessarily evidence of cheating. Nibali SHOULD be dominating this competition.
Old 07-25-14, 03:22 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

was as about to suggest they just pack it up and come back to "dominate" the US racing scene.

as for nibali, he had to ride the same courses that crashed out the other favorites - not his fault they had bad luck/couldn't stay upright.
Not sure what you have against Garmin, but pulling off wins with smart, strong rides isn't actually out of character for them. They've got at least one stage win at the Tour for four consecutive years, now. At some point, that's not a fluke.
Old 07-26-14, 04:17 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I know that YMCA got some **** for comparing Nibali to Hinault. but I agree. He was awesome in every aspect and dominated with winning stages in the pursuit. Now Nibali just has to do it 4 more times to make it officially on the same level.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 07-26-14 at 05:52 PM. Reason: fixed spelling bypassing censor.