Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1992 Colnago Master Olympic Art Decor

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1992 Colnago Master Olympic Art Decor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 07:49 AM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I am in agreement with almost all of the above with the exception of redrilling and taping the drop
JMO, Ben
Why isn't this a good solution, I wonder?
It wouldn't be difficult (for the right craftsman), accomplishes the goal, and retains some originality.
Old 12-02-19, 11:06 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
Why isn't this a good solution, I wonder?
It wouldn't be difficult (for the right craftsman), accomplishes the goal, and retains some originality.
IMO, finding the "right" craftsman would be important, and since we don't know how good the weld was (re-weld by a knowledgeable professional to verify weld quality?) drilling and tapping into an area that is already prone to breaking would not be worth it to me...
I had the same issue with a "Gios" and repaired it....I can live with the repair and if I ever sold it, I would disclose the repair... it is no longer "original" and will not retain the value of one that is.
A few others have also mentioned in the OP's other post the adjustment screw is not always necessary in order to get the wheel in the right place etc.
TETO, if the OP wants to do it, great.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-02-19, 04:02 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
That makes sense, Ben, thanks for the explanation.

By the way, to the original poster...it is a very, very good-looking bike!
Likes For 67tony:
Old 12-02-19, 09:58 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Thanks again fellas. Yeah I went ahead and purchased two spacers. I figure it’s better to have and not need vs. needing and not having.
Old 12-03-19, 11:47 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Thanks again fellas. Yeah I went ahead and purchased two spacers. I figure it’s better to have and not need vs. needing and not having.
The bike looks great, I would not worry about doing all the fixing-up...the paint loss on the rear stay is marginal and in my opinion and easy to "touch-up".
If you decide to go that route find a color close sand a little, primer and paint then call it a day....ride the bike enjoy it, it's yours and forget about the blemish.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-03-19, 12:04 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
The bike looks great, I would not worry about doing all the fixing-up...the paint loss on the rear stay is marginal and in my opinion and easy to "touch-up".
If you decide to go that route find a color close sand a little, primer and paint then call it a day....ride the bike enjoy it, it's yours and forget about the blemish.
Best, Ben
Thanks Ben...I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 12-05-19, 04:02 PM
jadocs

Just an update. Seller sent me some updated pics after switching the stem to a 120. He also put on some bottle cages for me and sent a close up of the repair.

Im happy and honestly good with it as long as the repair was done properly. An adjustment screw is being provided for the left dropout and I will use a spacer if required for the drive side.

Old 12-05-19, 04:23 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by hazetguy
I, personally, would want to see the backside of that weld, without the wheel installed, obviously.
Looks like a steel weld, not brazed, that has been ground down somewhat poorly (cosmetically).
which is stronger? i.e. braze vs. a steel weld that may not be through and through. I’m not too concerned with the cosmetics in that small spot.
Old 12-05-19, 08:27 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
The bottle cages are perfect and the stem length is much better (cosmetically). (Seatpost also looks a little better at the lower height in new photos but could be raised a little to suit you more, if needed.) Personally, I prefer the look of a 120mm stem as opposed to a 100mm stem as it makes the bike look 'balanced' to me. I suppose, with over 50 years of owning bikes, my eyes have become accustomed to seeing bikes that fit the rider having a stem length of around 120mm. 100mm just seems too far back. I must admit that I don't think this really applies to shorter stature riders on small frames as I tend to look at bikes of my own general riding size. Now, I'm just talking appearance and not actual individual bike fit. What your body dictates is far more important than looks - it's just my observations over my life with bikes.

Getting back to your new Colnago Master Olympic; It's a fantastic bike and the colour scheme is very desirable. Personally, I have found the Colnago bike geometry to suit my body dimensions and I love the neutral ride characteristics of this generation of Colnago frame to be fantastic in an overall sense. I like my seatpost to be near the upper limit translating to a frame size that is the smallest I can ride comfortably. A Colnago of this era seems to climb and descend very competently, stable at speed and is comfortable over long distances. Frame weight is very comparable with other quality bikes too. The bottom bracket is not too low and is stiff without too much flex; what you put into a pedal stroke generally goes to the back wheel. You can also maintain a straight line without too much concentration yet it can also react to steering input when needed - generally confidence enhancing. The 'off the rack' Colnago frame will not fill the need for a specific hill climber or time-triallist or to a lesser extent, criterium rider; these frames are for the generalist. Ernesto Colnago's frame geometry just seems to work for the average rider without specific human body needs such as short torso or long legs or short arms, etc.. I know if I buy a Colnago frame of a certain size it will fit me and have the ride qualities I expect. I also know, many other bikes have similar characteristics but you can also find well known frames that don't compare to a Colnago too. Consistency is a Colnago trait. And...... there's the Colnago mystique? I love your new bike.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 12-05-19 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-05-19, 09:44 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
The bottle cages are perfect and the stem length is much better (cosmetically). (Seatpost also looks a little better at the lower height in new photos but could be raised a little to suit you more, if needed.) Personally, I prefer the look of a 120mm stem as opposed to a 100mm stem as it makes the bike look 'balanced' to me. I suppose, with over 50 years of owning bikes, my eyes have become accustomed to seeing bikes that fit the rider having a stem length of around 120mm. 100mm just seems too far back. I must admit that I don't think this really applies to shorter stature riders on small frames as I tend to look at bikes of my own general riding size. Now, I'm just talking appearance and not actual individual bike fit. What your body dictates is far more important than looks - it's just my observations over my life with bikes.

Getting back to your new Colnago Master Olympic; It's a fantastic bike and the colour scheme is very desirable. Personally, I have found the Colnago bike geometry to suit my body dimensions and I love the neutral ride characteristics of this generation of Colnago frame to be fantastic in an overall sense. I like my seatpost to be near the upper limit translating to a frame size that is the smallest I can ride comfortably. A Colnago of this era seems to climb and descend very competently, stable at speed and is comfortable over long distances. Frame weight is very comparable with other quality bikes too. The bottom bracket is not too low and is stiff without too much flex; what you put into a pedal stroke generally goes to the back wheel. You can also maintain a straight line without too much concentration yet it can also react to steering input when needed - generally confidence enhancing. The 'off the rack' Colnago frame will not fill the need for a specific hill climber or time-triallist or to a lesser extent, criterium rider; these frames are for the generalist. Ernesto Colnago's frame geometry just seems to work for the average rider without specific human body needs such as short torso or long legs or short arms, etc.. I know if I buy a Colnago frame of a certain size it will fit me and have the ride qualities I expect. I also know, many other bikes have similar characteristics but you can also find well known frames that don't compare to a Colnago too. Consistency is a Colnago trait. And...... there's the Colnago mystique? I love your new bike.
Gary,

I’m super excited, and reading your reply is going to make the wait so much harder This has been my dream bike for such a long time. Thank you!
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-06-19, 10:34 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
You can also go over that welded area with a fine Dremel tip stone and carefully grind off any roughness and bumps at the weld area to blend it into shape. Then polish it to a bright silver to try and approach the look of the chrome on the dropout, followed by a coat of clear paint to protect the bare steel. You can go farther and have a hole drilled and threaded for an adjuster by a good machine shop if you want to.
Likes For Chombi1: