Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Awesome Jacket

Old 04-13-20, 06:42 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
You mean from last Saturday until today, the same size and color jacket went from $87 to $300? This is even crazier then I thought. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this madness. Maybe it's just alogorithms but it has got me. This just enforces the idea that you have to keep monitoring this Amazon page because anything can happen.
received my jacket today and as luck would have it it was raining for the start of my commute to work.so the first 3 miles was rain and the jacket worked really good kept me dry then the rain stopped. And sun came out temperature was about 65 so left the jacket on to climb a decent hill and see if I would overheat and for the most part was impressed with the jacket would I use it in temperatures above 65 probably not.also as others have said it’s by no means a cycling jacket but for my commute to work will be great addition to what I already use. For the price I paid am extremely happy with the jacket . If I were to have paid full price or even half price that jelly Hanson website has it for maybe not so much but will see on a full rain ride how it is . So I would like to thank Mac and polar for the posts . Or I would of missed out on a great jacket for my needs
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 04-13-20, 07:01 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so to sum up. It's a great jacket but not for cycling?
Old 04-15-20, 05:16 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Fantastic jacket! Got to actually use it yesterday. At the end of my ride it was threatening to rain. I stopped to eat a pizza before making it to the house. Started raining and the wind picked up as well. The hood covered my helmet easily. Also the jacket covered up my hip pack completely keeping it dry. No wind got through the jacket. Fantastic jacket!
Originally Posted by ridingfool
received my jacket today and as luck would have it it was raining for the start of my commute to work.so the first 3 miles was rain and the jacket worked really good kept me dry then the rain stopped. And sun came out temperature was about 65 so left the jacket on to climb a decent hill and see if I would overheat and for the most part was impressed with the jacket would I use it in temperatures above 65 probably not.also as others have said it’s by no means a cycling jacket but for my commute to work will be great addition to what I already use. For the price I paid am extremely happy with the jacket . If I were to have paid full price or even half price that jelly Hanson website has it for maybe not so much but will see on a full rain ride how it is . So I would like to thank Mac and polar for the posts . Or I would of missed out on a great jacket for my needs
You have just scratched the surface of what this jacket can do. Use it this Winter in harsh conditions and see for yourselves.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-15-20, 06:19 PM
mjac

Fantastic jacket! Got to actually use it yesterday. At the end of my ride it was threatening to rain. I stopped to eat a pizza before making it to the house. Started raining and the wind picked up as well. The hood covered my helmet easily. Also the jacket covered up my hip pack completely keeping it dry. No wind got through the jacket. Fantastic jacket!
Now, the Helly Hansen pant that goes with the Vanir Slidr Jacket that completes the outfit, is called the Odin Skarstind Pant. It is constructed exactly like the jacket and has all of the performance features of the jacket. It is also very pliable and you can cycle wih it easily. It is not on sale at Helly Hansen at all, $275. It is somewhat on sale on Amazon, $151 and up. I got mine from HH 2 years ago for $80. So they do go on sale. With Summer approaching, you just might catch them on a deep sale if you monitor both websites. The pant is just as great as the jacket, which you have found out about.
Likes For mjac:
Old 04-15-20, 06:56 PM
ridingfool

Now, the Helly Hansen pant that goes with the Vanir Slidr Jacket that completes the outfit, is called the Odin Skarstind Pant. It is constructed exactly like the jacket and has all of the performance features of the jacket. It is also very pliable and you can cycle wih it easily. It is not on sale at Helly Hansen at all, $275. It is somewhat on sale on Amazon, $151 and up. I got mine from HH 2 years ago for $80. So they do go on sale. With Summer approaching, you just might catch them on a deep sale if you monitor both websites. The pant is just as great as the jacket, which you have found out about.
thanks do the pants breath on a warmer day or are they just for cooler weather also are they thin or bulky pants . Just bought a pair from REI their house brand they seam to be ok but can never have to many rain pants when u commute to work every day by bike
Old 04-15-20, 07:24 PM
mjac

thanks do the pants breath on a warmer day or are they just for cooler weather also are they thin or bulky pants . Just bought a pair from REI their house brand they seam to be ok but can never have to many rain pants when u commute to work every day by bike
Get back to you soon, got a little emergency right now.
Old 04-16-20, 06:57 AM
mjac

You now own the jacket so you know what it is like. You don't need someone to tell you about it. Take the sleeve, not the body, and rub th two layers together, that is exactly what the pant is like. The pant has the exact windproof and moisture/vapor permeability numbers as the jacket. I am certain it has the same waterproof numbers but I have not verified that with HH. There is a very accurate description of the pant on the HH website. Like the jacket, it is primarily a harsh weather winter pant. With this jacket and pant and proper layering, there is no recreational winter weather condition that you can not go into. Just like the jacket, it would be too hot for high activity summer use. But for just walking around, you could use it in the summer, even more so then the jacket. Very good pant, very durable. They make a great combination.

Last edited by mjac; 04-16-20 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 06:39 PM
ridingfool

You now own the jacket so you know what it is like. You don't need someone to tell you about it. Take the sleeve, not the body, and rub th two layers together, that is exactly what the pant is like. The pant has the exact windproof and moisture/vapor permeability numbers as the jacket. I am certain it has the same waterproof numbers but I have not verified that with HH. There is a very accurate description of the pant on the HH website. Like the jacket, it is primarily a harsh weather winter pant. With this jacket and pant and proper layering, there is no recreational winter weather condition that you can not go into. Just like the jacket, it would be too hot for high activity summer use. But for just walking around, you could use it in the summer, even more so then the jacket. Very good pant, very durable. They make a great combination.
thanks for the detailed review will do like you said keep an eye out for the summer sales on them should be under a hundred dollars soon .No real need for them now starting to get warm my thin pants will work for now
Old 04-16-20, 08:22 PM
mjac

thanks for the detailed review will do like you said keep an eye out for the summer sales on them should be under a hundred dollars soon .No real need for them now starting to get warm my thin pants will work for now
Yeah, that's the way it is. You need some ultra light stuff for summer and some heaviier stuff for winter. One set can't do both very well. They both have to breath though. I have no way of telling, but I feel confident by the time Summer roles around you would see some deals. Like I said, I got mine for $80 from HH, not even using Amazon. If a deal comes along, snatch it. You want this pant as part of your possibilities. This is good stuff. You will be glad you did.
Old 04-17-20, 05:58 AM
mjac

To give you an idea, this jacket is not such a great deal after shipping and taxes,$37.91, I use this ultra light weight rain shell all the time now. Just to cut the morning chill and to carry in case a shower comes up. You can stuffthe whole thing in its little breast pocket and easily carry it. It is so light,light passes through it. Might be better stuff out there I do not know. It seemed like a good deal at the time. HH's lightest jacket and pant is the Loke. They are slightly heavier then this and they had the jacket on sale for $40 in very limited colors and sizes. I am going to watch that.
Old 04-17-20, 06:11 AM
mjac

The jackets with the percentage mark are the ones on sale for $40. But there are very few sizes. I don't know how long it is or if it would work bent over the bars. Maybe. But it is a good jacket.