Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Old frame/modern equipment, new upgrade - constraints and questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old frame/modern equipment, new upgrade - constraints and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-21, 12:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
When I did this I had never ridden a modern bike. In retrospect, I should have kept the Nuovo Record and Mavic GP4s and hung it on the wall.

Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-15-21, 01:14 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
It’s interesting to read each particular story and experience with this vintage/modern marriage.
Anyone else wanting to share?
Old 06-15-21, 02:08 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Recently got a vintage frame with 8 speed and was thinking eventually to do the same upgrade to a newer drive train. My frame has 130mm rear spacing so my options are quite open. Shifting is not as crisp and yet its still rides great.

The weight does not bother me, so I decided to keep the old 8-speed components & my money in my wallet - for now.
Old 06-15-21, 02:35 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Admittedly, I was hoping to hear of modern parts on an old bike...

OK, here is my take on the theme. My 1986 KHS Fiero. Not a classic by any measure. But it was my first "real" "adult" road bike. I bought it as a bare frame in 1989, and built with cast off parts and other people's junk. And rode the three sets of wheels off that thing in many different configurations...

1989 or 90...

A few years ago, I decided to update it, instead of trash it. Stripped it of everything, only keeping the frame, and Nishiki Prestige (1987 or 88?) fork I got in 91 with bars and quill stem, and the seatpost I added in 93 or so.

Not a current pic, I did add some chain after this pic a few years ago...

Bike still weighs 24 pounds. I found a great deal on Shimano 105 5600 series 2x10 set, minus brakes. Brakes are SRAM Apex, in white even!!! FSA Vero crankset with their PowerSpline or something bottom bracket. The crankset was cheap, used and I decided to try compact crankset with 50/34 rings and 165mm arms. I was having knee and ankle issues and was losing weight, so had hoped the compact and shorter arm lengths would help some. I may change my mind... Wheelset was also used, 105 5600 hubs though. I do run heavy tubes, with 28mm tires and tuffy tire liners for thorn resistance. I did spread the rear for hub clearance, the old fashioned way with a board and string lines to stay square. The dropouts and hanger were aligned at a shop for me.

As I call it my "Old Friend", it feels familiar, yet still modern. I love the bike, was it worth throwing newer parts at it? Yes, to me. And I'm the only one that needs be happy. I'm not in the best shape yet this summer, but held 22 MPH with a group for 5 miles the other day. When the group went a little faster, I was out of gearing and energy... My choice in crankset was nearly as limiting as my fit level.

I have other bikes, a couple late 90s Cannondale CAAD2s (97 R300 and 98 R200), and my lightweight bike, a 2006 Cannondale CAAD8.

53/42 crankset, mix of SRAM Force, red and Apex parts. Built the bike up from frame and fork that I saw an add for, for $50 2 years ago... I can save some weight with new wheels, but at 18.5 lbs, I'm happy, and I have turned 40 MPH on flat ground with this bike. I could have hung with that group the other day even at my current fitness level. Maybe another mile or 2 at least.

OK, there is my story...

Last edited by zjrog; 06-15-21 at 02:43 PM.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 06-15-21, 03:03 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

sshakari , I like the “for now”
zjrog , as you said, you need to be happy and therefore you did good
Likes For JackJohn:
Old 06-16-21, 03:19 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

While brainstorming about upgrading the Atala, my next project is already in the pipe, a ‘90s Pinarello for my brother to be mounted with a 105 groupset, paint has already been stripped and will be replaced by light blue to match black equipment. Frame is a 2,7kg chromed and pantographed full Columbus with gpx tubes, i.e. SLX with “gp” Giorgio Pinarello initials. Spacing is already 130 which will make things much easier.
Likes For JackJohn: