Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy 11 Speed Wheelset Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 10:17 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

So I recently got lucky and found a bike I've been looking for a long time - a 1998 Ibis Spanky road bike.

I want to do modern components on it since I know I'll use it more if I do, and so I found a Campagnolo Potenza 11 speed groupset for a good price which I pulled the trigger on.

I've never used Campy before, so I'm really excited, but I do have some confusions.

My biggest concern is the wheelset - the bike came with a Dura Ace wheelset which obviously won't work with Campy cassettes. I do have some spare wheelsets at home - a set of Mavic Kysrium SLs and a set of Reynolds 32 carbon tubulars with Powertap G3 hub.

I'd preferably like to use one of these existing wheelsets, but they both have Shimano/SRAM freehubs. Is it possible to just swap on a Campy freehub body? Are these universal? I'd preferably like to use the Reynolds wheels, but I'm not sure if the Powertap hub is interchangeable.

On the other hand, I did read somewhere that all 11 speed cassettes are interchangeable - is this true? Would I be able to use a Shimano/SRAM 11 speed cassette with the Campy RD and shifters? I'd preferably like to keep it all Campy and not have to buy another cassette, but this would probably be cheaper than a new wheelset.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-21, 05:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
All 11 speed cassettes are spaced the same. Shimano wheels will work fine.

Old 06-17-21, 07:03 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I am running Shimano R8000 cassette with Campagnolo Record 11. As stated above you can use Shimano for the Campagnolo 11 speed groups.
Old 06-17-21, 07:50 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
You’ll have no problems using wheels with shim/sram freehubs mixed with anything Campy 11.
I’ve been running hybrid setups for so many years and my drivetrains are usually a mix of different brands from Sun Race black cassettes, KMC XL/DLC chains and either Rotor or Praxis cranksets with Campy Chorus/Record/SR/H11.