Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Top 3 picks for Giro - name you guys

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Who are the top 3 finishers in the Giro d'Italia 2017 (only vote for 3)
Nairo Quintana
85.71%
Geraint Thomas
42.86%
Thibaut Pinot
28.57%
Ilnur Zakarin
14.29%
Bob Jungels
14.29%
Tom Dumoulin
0%
Steven Kruijswijk
14.29%
Adam Yates
0%
Bauke Mollema
14.29%
Vincenzo Nibali
57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 07:20 AM
gmknobl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, here are my guys, here is my guess, at who will win, place and show in the 2017 Giro. Feel free to argue and propose your own:

1) Nairo Quintana
2) Geraint Thomas
3) Thibaut Pinot

1) The best climber in the Giro. The question is, how deep will he go to ensure his overall? If he goes too hard he could diminish his chances in the TdF. He's not the best ITT guy but his climbing makes up for this. He needs to get at least a 2 minute lead by the last TT to make up for his deficit in this discipline but I think he'll do it. He'll focus on the Giro without a thought for the TdF but then, I think will find out it's too difficult to do the double. What will be interesting will be the first ITT. How much time, if any, will he lose to rivals on that one? Since it's half uphill, I'm thinking no more than 30 seconds if, in fact, he doesn't come close to winning it.

2) I'm a believer in this guy's potential. He can climb now even if it's not as scintillating to watch as Quintana. He's much more consistent this year to my mind than previous years, and slimmer too. His TT performances will be what gets him the most time over my other two contenders. He needs more time here - about 3 minutes is my guess - to cover any losses he'll have in the mountains. If he goes poorly, it will be on the heavy mountain stages near the very end of the Giro where he may crack on a climb before the finishing climb. If that happens, Movistar will just motor away from him. Then, GT will drop off the podium.

3) TP is coming into the Giro a little under form, which I think is good for him. He'll need it come the last week. But with his ability to both climb and TT unexpectedly well - think Romandie 2016 - he could surprise many, especially in that first TT where the first half is uphill. I think he'll survive the third week just fine too as I believe he'll be mentally more resilient than GT. But his team, while good, isn't up to Movistar's nor Sky's level for grinding out the tempo. And that could be a problem.

Well, what do you guys think? Argue away!
Old 05-04-17, 08:42 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
The Shark Its in Italy It is a special 100 year edition best rider in recent years so sound in all disciplines and seems to know when to spend and when not to. He will not be saving anything for TdF

Nario best rider in many years. Seems to lose steam at times and strategy sometimes questionable. Incredible talent and I take a risk by not putting him first

Special K Bad luck last year left him of the podium. I think injury kept him from attacking after that fall. Seems like the Giro is made for a rider like him

Last edited by Gallo; 05-04-17 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 11:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
nibbles
zakarin
jungels
Old 05-05-17, 07:08 AM
gmknobl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tejay wasn't listed in the poll but someone had to be left off. But considering his past, I guess it's not unusual I have. Sorry I missed the fantasy league. Would have liked to pick a team but I think it's too late.
Old 05-05-17, 07:09 AM
gmknobl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and WE NEED MORE VOTES! Not that there's any prize other than pride.
Old 05-07-17, 03:23 PM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmknobl
So, here are my guys, here is my guess, at who will win, place and show in the 2017 Giro. Feel free to argue and propose your own:

1) Nairo Quintana
2) Geraint Thomas
3) Thibaut Pinot
That was also my guess, with the same order
Old 05-18-17, 09:27 AM
gmknobl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, got the top one for one day then Tommy D the younger did a number on me. And Thomas? Well, all predictions are without respect for any odd-ball crashes. His chances are way reduced now. Pinot is still a threat as is Quintana. Tejay has disappointed again. Saturday's simple climb finish is going to be a fight but it's gradients aren't enough to dislodge Dumoulin, I think, especially with no difficult terrain beforehand. Nibali has lost time but still looks really good so I suspect he'll be someone to watch in the last week of mountains, as per normal.
Old 05-21-17, 04:49 AM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TD already won it
Old 05-29-17, 04:43 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Just as I predicted before the Giro began, that Tom would win.

Enough said.

John.
Old 05-29-17, 07:57 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Not only did I predicted Dumoulin to win the Giro but had him crapping on the side of the road on stage 16.