Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Swytch

Old 06-12-20, 04:52 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Swytch

I started this thread to share my experience in ordering and installing two Swytch kits. I orginally ordered the Pro kit for $600 plus $50 in shipping. This will be a 27 inch wheel for our tandem. I went back and forth on changing to a 700c wheel. In the end there is an additional discount if you add additional kits to your order. My 2nd kit is the Eco for $449.

The 2nd kit will be a 700c wheel for the wife's bike. By ordering two kits we now have a backup battery pack for either bike, extending the range for both types of rides.

The wheels are double walled with 16 gauge spokes. I didn't order the various accessories like throttle or brake sensors. This system is push button to select the assistance level and the motor cuts of when you stop pedaling.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-12-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-12-20, 09:32 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Cool. When do you expect to see the kits?
Old 06-12-20, 11:36 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Wish I weren't allergic to crowd funds since it looks like a neat product. If/when they become a "buy it now, ship it now" company, I'll be interested.
Old 06-13-20, 04:36 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
When do you expect to see the kits?
I was nervous too because there is not a lot of information out there on the company, but it appears they have been using this process for years. One reason for making this thread is so the next person has a better idea on the customer service, pricing, and performance of the kit.

They have something called the "Zendesk" that provides a lot of Q and A's.

https://swytchbike.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb

I'm a pre-order. Apparently if you pay full price it will ship out in 3-5 days compared to this-

Now customer service has been mixed. My initial questions were answered within 24 hours. My subsequent questions on rim size (yeah I had no idea a 28 is smaller than a 27) and any differences on the battery mounting took over a week to be answered.

The communicating is in an email thread format which is kind of neat (cropped to not show my info) so you can see all of your questions and their responses all at once.

I don't mind the wait because I'm only looking for a system that will be used part time...either to assist on certain grades or for the back end of longer rides. We are comfortable with 30 mile rides now and the summer is just starting so our conditioning will improve, but it will be nice to go on all day rides where we have some help on the way back.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-13-20 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 02:45 PM
2old

If you check endless sphere, (I think) they've been developing this over a long period of time, but I can't remember the thread.
Old 06-13-20, 09:32 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
This is the second iteration. They already crowdfunded and delivered a first version. That track record often makes it a lot safer to commit.
The owner also came into a slack thread I was on to talk about the first product a bit and he seemed pretty responsive.. It's not something I'd want, but for someone who wants a hub system that's relatively easy off/on it isn't bad at all. I am not a fan of the handlebar battery bag concept though. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...ke/x/8678064#/
Old 06-13-20, 11:07 PM
Doc_Wui

Oooh. Ten to twelve weeks means sixteen weeks shipped to US, and I get it in November, Brrr.
Old 06-14-20, 05:30 AM
kayakindude

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Oooh. Ten to twelve weeks means sixteen weeks shipped to US, and I get it in November, Brrr.
Agreed that this is something you have to plan out if you want the best price. They offer the pre-market deal quarterly so you would have to grab the winter offer to have it ready for summer.

For me I had the extra money and am thinking of a long term way to keep the wife riding nearer to my pace and distance...so no rush short term.

I do like that the install looks straight forward and is a minimalist looking system. The new system has a smaller battery box on the handlebar so hopefully not that much of a riding impact. I have mixed feelings on electrielectrical assistance. It's something I am resistant to (probably an old school mentality) but I recognize it can allow a rider to perform at a high level as they age.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-14-20 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 02:07 PM
2old

Also, it's a fun, occasional change of pace if an individual is so inclined (I am). Haven't ridden "e" much lately, all MTB, but probably some day(s) next week.
Old 06-14-20, 08:12 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by kayakindude
=13px It's something I am resistant to (probably an old school mentality) but I recognize it can allow a rider to perform at a high level as they age.
It's the "Great Leveler". Two riders, with a 10mph difference, can ride together if one has assist. My adult son easily does 22mph+ and I can sustain maybe 14-15mph on flat distances - we can ride together if I put on my motor. No waiting at corners for me to catch up, we can actually have a conversation because I'm not using every ounce of breath and energy to try to keep pace. My neighbor got one for his wife, their marriage has greatly improved, lol.
Old 06-14-20, 09:43 PM
Doc_Wui

More than a leveler, it's an enabler. I don't think my wife would be riding at all without electric assist. We don't go very fast, only 12-14 mph, but these small inclines that used to to stop her in her tracks are like nothing. With the COvid lockdown, we've been riding almost every day since March (when it's over 50F).

I gave my sister (age 68) and her husband a pair of my ebike conversions last Xmas. They're riding every day too when they're not fishing, and next month will be driving 200 miles to Iowa to ride the High Trestle trail. When my wife heard it was 25 miles, she sez "that's nothing".

https://www.traveliowa.com/trails/hi...stle-trail/28/
Old 06-14-20, 11:09 PM
linberl

That's great. I love to hear about folks riding who really weren't before e-assist. Personally, I think health care providers and insurance companies should give e-bikes out for free to folks of medicare+ age. Reducing sedentary behavior is the easiest way to improve health among elderly folks. Use it or lose, indeed.
Old 06-15-20, 07:19 AM
kayakindude

Fingers crossed that's exactly what I am hoping for. One reason I chose this system is it's not heavy and it appears to not impact unassisted riding. So it looks like a good starter system to dip your toes into assisted riding.

I'm not expecting much for the tandem with that motor, but if it extends the range on multi hour rides and takes a little bite out of the larger climbs it will be well worth the investment. If it gets her to ride solo with me near my pace...priceless.
Old 06-17-20, 05:16 AM
kayakindude

Got an update this morning. Looks like the order phase has ended and the kits will ship in 10-12 weeks...which is about what I expected. That puts the delivery in the back end of September.

I also like that they have an update page. Communication from them seems pretty solid.Updates on the order should come out weekly.

Last edited by kayakindude; 06-17-20 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-29-20, 06:15 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Swytch emailed me last Thursday at 7 a.m. PDT saying I could order a Swytch kit for $449 for the ECO or $575 for the PRO version. This was a $50 discount, they said, to help beta test a new ordering portal. By the time I checked (7:50), only the ECO version was still available to be ordered. The deadline to order was midnight (PDT) Friday. Shipping was $50. They said the estimated duty is 5%. Sales tax where I live is 10%.

Today, I received an email in which the price had increased by $25 and this is valid until midnight. The Brompton kits are now available but cost $125 more.

I read a lot of postings in the "Swytch in the Wild" Facebook group and people who ordered Brompton kits last August hope to receive them this August.

The 2020-Q3 non-Brompton orders are supposed to be "locked" on August 15. If the manufacturing takes 12 weeks and the shipping takes two weeks, I guess people probably won't receive their orders until early December.

I've noticed a number of people were not happy about having a battery mounted on the handlebars and have found other ways to mount them to the headtube using a 3D-printed adapter or elsewhere using plates a U-bolts. (I would think having the weight of a battery on the handlebars would lead to instability, at least on a folding bike such as I have.)
Old 08-02-20, 07:40 PM
kayakindude

Yeah I looked at their Brompton setup. I have a Dahon folder that I commute with that I added the Brompton block to. I'm trying it on my tandem 1st. I can tell you putting weight on the headtube actually improves your folder ride handling. I often carry 15-20 pounds on mine.

I'm not concerned about the battery being on the handlebar of our road bikes, no different to me than when I carry a loaded bag on the rear rack, awkward at first but you quickly adapt.

Their communication is a bit haphazard. I never received my shipping confirmation and only found out that I should have received an update around 6/26 through reviewing the zen desk. It took a few emails to find out both my orders were combined into one for shipping purposes but as of 8/1 the container has not shipped.

Last edited by kayakindude; 08-02-20 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 09:21 AM
linberl

If your road bikes are "traditional" you can put a low rider rack on the front to hold the battery if you don't like it on the handlebar. I wouldn't like it there myself. That's space for carrying stuff I need accessible. And, you're right of course, on folders you want it low and forward to reduce any squirrely steering so the Brommie luggage option should work fine. Either way, it is totally workable just not perfect out of the box necessarily.
I moved the little battery from my OneMotor system from the main tube to a rack to under the main tube to where it is now - in a revelate feedbag behind my seatpost just over the wheel. Sometimes it takes playing a bit to find the optimum position.
Old 08-03-20, 09:52 AM
2old

FME, front-mounting locations either on handlebars (horrendous) or frame racks (tolerable, but substantially affecting handling characteristics) were acceptable. Mounting on the top tube worked for my daughter's cruiser, and anything in the front triangle was great. Rear rack mounting, while not optimal, was very unobtrusive for some bikes. However, everyone's experience and expectations are different.
Old 09-29-20, 11:23 AM
kayakindude

After about a one month delay due to logistical issues my kits are finally being shipped. Neat section updates the status of the shipping container the kits were placed in. The delay actually helped because I bought a newer Cannondale tandem and no longer needed a 27 inch rim. Swytch modified the order without issue.
Old 10-04-20, 07:51 PM
sslonkosky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I received an email from Swytch saying if I signed up to be a website beta tester, I could order a kit for $429 plus shipping and taxes. I’m beginning to think they use this “website beta tester” ploy every time. Based on Facebook postings, people are finally receiving what they ordered and are happy. There are a few people who ordered 14 months and are still waiting. I suspect those are Brompton kits. Maybe they will eventually get delivery time after orders are “locked” to months, but to be on the safe side I’d allow for 4 months.

I had seriously considered a Swytch kit, but ultimately decided to get OneMotor instead. I ordered in mid-August, but they were in the process of moving from NYC to rural NJ and had to wait until HP could send a tech to set up their 3D printer. After Fedex apparently misplaced the first shipment, I received my order on Sept. 25. I would have installed it by now, but I had cataract surgery on Sept. 23, which was unsuccessful, so I had to have surgery again on Sept. 30. I was told not to ride my bike or lift anything over 10 lb. for a week or two.
Old 10-05-20, 12:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the advantages of this Swytch motor over alternatives already on the market. I ordered my motor last Monday and the only reason it wouldn't have been shipped out to me that day was because I wanted a thermal monitoring probe installed in it. My motor is also a LOT more powerful than 250W and doesn't cost that much more. Of course I don't get a battery for that price. I notice that not a whole lot was mentioned about the battery ... or the motor for that matter. I sure hope the customer isn't in for some hefty customs duties when that container comes ashore. That is another good reason to buy your system from a stateside retailer.
Old 10-05-20, 09:40 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the advantages of this Swytch motor over alternatives already on the market. I ordered my motor last Monday and the only reason it wouldn't have been shipped out to me that day was because I wanted a thermal monitoring probe installed in it. My motor is also a LOT more powerful than 250W and doesn't cost that much more. Of course I don't get a battery for that price. I notice that not a whole lot was mentioned about the battery ... or the motor for that matter. I sure hope the customer isn't in for some hefty customs duties when that container comes ashore. That is another good reason to buy your system from a stateside retailer.
Some people want simple easy install and Swytch is exactly that - no sourcing batteries or cables or other parts. Just open the box, attach a few zip ties, and done. Some people don't want/need more power, they just want a true "assist" and swytch meets that need as well. Your needs are different than the folks buying Swytch. You are obviously more comfortable with putting it together the way you want and troubleshooting any issues. Swytch is for the non-techy or casual consumer who just wants it to pop on and work. And that's probably a good percentage of users, especially first time e-bikers. As to customs fees, if there are any, it is up to the consumer to have inquired and figured that out before buying, right? The Swytch price is cheap enough that it might not be a big deal, anyway.
Old 10-05-20, 06:29 PM
kayakindude

Exactly right. As a 1st time user I want a simple kit that provides minimal assistance. I don't want to use it unless we are pushing either our range or difficult ascents. I bought 2 kits so either the wife has a boost to ride more my pace or to give us 2 batteries when on the tandem.

Tax and duties are 12.5%. I end up with 2 plug and play systems for just over $1000 delivered. No idea how this will turn out but I look forward to providing some good feedback on this system.
Old 10-06-20, 09:26 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Some people want simple easy install and Swytch is exactly that - no sourcing batteries or cables or other parts.
If you buy an e-assist kit from Leafmotor or Crystalyte or MAC or Bafang you get exactly what is in the Swytch kit and the installation difficulty is the same. The only difference is that ALL the kits I mentioned can be had in less than 2 weeks time. Maybe under one week. Possibly the same day if you have a local e-bike retailer in your neighborhood. And cost is the same. I'm not seeing the advantage of crowd funding a commodity like e-assist. It is no longer innovative or niche. 14 months? Seriously? But, nice touch with the enhanced tracking of the order even if they get the name of the ship wrong. You do know stacking containers on the deck like that is not only illegal, it also means that in a storm (likely) those containers wind up at the bottom of the Pacific. This isn't to say that anyone else's motors couldn't be lost in transit, but that if it is, you don't pay for it.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-06-20, 09:37 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If you buy an e-assist kit from Leafmotor or Crystalyte or MAC or Bafang you get exactly what is in the Swytch kit and the installation difficulty is the same. The only difference is that ALL the kits I mentioned can be had in less than 2 weeks time. Maybe under one week. Possibly the same day if you have a local e-bike retailer in your neighborhood. And cost is the same. I'm not seeing the advantage of crowd funding a commodity like e-assist. It is no longer innovative or niche. 14 months? Seriously? But, nice touch with the enhanced tracking of the order even if they get the name of the ship wrong. You do know stacking containers on the deck like that is not only illegal, it also means that in a storm (likely) those containers wind up at the bottom of the Pacific. This isn't to say that anyone else's motors couldn't be lost in transit, but that if it is, you don't pay for it.
No, it's not the same. I went to Leaf just to see and you have to pick your components separately from what I saw. That's often the case with those providers. A non-techy person is not going to want to pick out the individual parts and they aren't going to know if they will work together well either. With the already made kits like Swytch, it's simplified to a single choice or maybe 2 sizes max. Everything is included so you don't have to pick out bags, mounting, motor, controller, battery or anything. It's dumbed down for a reason - there is a market for that. There's also a market for folks like you, who are more knowledgeable. And it's all coming from China, anyway, As to crowdfunding, people usually get a substantial discount on pricing that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.