Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

The site is unusable

Old 01-17-21, 04:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
The site is unusable

The ads have been getting worse and worse.

I've tried browsing the forum without logging in and half the time the page freezes or I get warnings from my browser.

MacOS Big Sur version 11.1
Safari 14.0.2

I understand that ads are necessary, but I implore you to find a better way to implement them. This is one major reason why FB, IG, R3ddit, etc... have been eating "old school" forums' lunches.

I don't mind ads...unless they get in my way and prevent me from reading the content in the threads.

Find a better way.
Old 01-17-21, 08:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Color me stupid, but since you are a paying member you should not be getting any ads in the first place. Right?

I got sick of the advertisements myself which was one reason why I now cough up a few bucks/year to be a paid member and not get annoying ads.
Old 01-17-21, 09:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by datlas
Color me stupid, but since you are a paying member you should not be getting any ads in the first place. Right?

I got sick of the advertisements myself which was one reason why I now cough up a few bucks/year to be a paid member and not get annoying ads.
I got my yellow jersey and bird from being a contributor to the cycling community at large and also being a mod here for a couple of years.

That being said, before I log in...I'm not logged in. So, I see all of the ads until I do so (which is why I wrote, "I've tried browsing the forum without logging in...". And often times, the page has so much ad-related javascript running that it simply locks up and I can't even get to type in my username and password.

I'm a programmer for a living and can easily spot the offending items. But, this stuff should be caught long before it's released.

I really think that the people who make the decisions about the site don't actively use it...so they don't have to trip over the ad-related drama constantly. Those who do (execs, admins, mods, etc...) have elevated rights so the ads are filtered on the server side for them. So, they don't know how bad it is, either.

I also experience this on other IB sites and sites that use IB software (AudiWorld, MBWorld, ClubLexus) and it's awful there, too.
Old 01-18-21, 08:07 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
If you were a mod, you should know that there are certain software applications that are not allowed to be discussed publicly (but are basically an open secret).

That said, ads allows us to keep the site free. Logged in users will see fewer ads and paying members see even less than that.

My suggestion is if you paid for premium, get your money's worth and log in.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 01-18-21, 09:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by IBJoel
If you were a mod, you should know that there are certain software applications that are not allowed to be discussed publicly (but are basically an open secret).

That said, ads allows us to keep the site free. Logged in users will see fewer ads and paying members see even less than that.

"You're fine. Why are you worried about everyone else?" is a poor attitude.

I know that I can view the site ad-free via my enhanced account status (and I did not pay for premium). My point is trying to make this site better for users who don't have that or who are evaluating the site before they join or go even further to pay. Further, I'm not a member with elevated status on other IB sites that I've mentioned. I am a long-time general member on 2 (10-15 years) and lurk for info on the third.

I fully understand the need for ads. I've never suggested getting rid of ads or the revenue that the ads generate (if you actually read my posts).

@IBJoel, your statement above lets me know that you know the site is bad and now I guess I know that there is no intention to do anything about it.
Old 01-18-21, 10:05 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
I don't have any of these problems on mobile, and I'm not even a paying member.

What I DO have a problem with is the number of bikes for sale on C&V that aren't in my size - the ones that are my size are priced out of my league - and the bikes I can afford are so numerous as to threaten my savings account on a daily basis!
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 01-18-21, 01:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I'm not a paying member yet. The ads though annoying haven't kept the site from being usable for me. There have at times been an ad that for some reason forces my browser to scroll back to it. When that happens I just click the X to remove the ad and it fixes itself. Also, there are plenty of times that I try to click on a particular post and an ad resizes or resets something at the very instant I click and I wind up clicking the wrong thing. But not so much that I feel it not much more than a small price to pay for using the site for free.

I have on the other hand also had issues with Safari on many sites that I commonly use. I much prefer Chrome on my macbook pro, though Chrome has issues sometimes too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-19-21, 12:02 AM
carleton
Elitist

Did you change the thread title?
Old 01-19-21, 08:05 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Originally Posted by carleton
Did you change the thread title?
Yes I did. Advocating use of a software that deprives the site of its sources of income is not allowed. Obviously, everyone knows about that kind of stuff and we can't actually stop anyone from using it, but it's not allowed to be mentioned or discussed in the forum.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 01-19-21, 08:40 AM
carleton
Elitist

Yes I did. Advocating use of a software that deprives the site of its sources of income is not allowed. Obviously, everyone knows about that kind of stuff and we can't actually stop anyone from using it, but it's not allowed to be mentioned or discussed in the forum.
Change it back.

I am not advocating using the site without. I’m advocating for you to make the site better while keeping the ads.

Unobtrusive ads are never a problem,

The programming of this site has been terrible for years in a sharp and steady decline since the code changes around 2010.

The core product is great (even with ads). What we have now is awful.
Old 01-19-21, 09:42 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

I've received your feedback and passed it on to higher-ups, as well as given you an answer to the problem you faced while logged out.