Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Handlebars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Fiber Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 11:26 AM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well said.
If I didn't know better I might think you have intimate knowledge of bicycle and component manufacturing over in the Far East

Right now I'm happy with my alloy bars, not sure if I'll ever feel the need to upgrade to carbon.

And if people have a problem with road vibration there is foam tape which helped me when I was woefully unfit and placing way too much pressure on the bars (instead of using my legs and core to take some of the pressure off my arms and hands).
Old 05-29-11, 05:02 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
Thanks for the responses 2ndGen and Bob.
How do we know the inexpensive (notice I'm not using the word cheap) no name handlebars aren't being manufactured by the same factories making them for the reputable companies?
Sort of like Giant does for all the lesser bike companies, I won't bother mentioning names
I've thought about that. My answer is I don't know.
But I do know for sure who's building the good quality bars.
No guesswork involved, no worrying, no wondering. Just riding.
Old 05-29-11, 05:03 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
This conversation could go on forever.

Probably the easiest way to look at it is this; Any company that brands an item, has offices you can contact and a presence in the industry has a vested interest in not having their products fail. Now, they may not be manufactureres and may be sourcing stuff from suppliers who do NOT have this same concern, but with a brand there is an avenue of recourse if there are problems and clear liability.

That's pretty much the only guarantee you can get.

As I've said before just because it is made in the same factory doesn't mean they use the same materials for everything made there or that they manufacture everything to the same tolerences. Those perameters are set by the customer (brand).

Also, the factory isn't responsible for any design flaws (although they will have some input in terms of manufacturing and a good factory will catch some stuff).

So, in short, I'd do a bit of googling to see if any brands have a reputation for failures. If so, I'd stay clear. I'd also avoid unbranded goods from unknown sources unless there is a level of trust with the seller as there are plenty of quality unbranded goods out there. Most of those are just unbranded items produced from open molds (molds any customer can buy from). BF is full of examples of these.

BTW, the same basic rules of thumb apply to products made from alloys as well. I mean it's not like an alloy crank arm or Ti pedal spindle have never failed.
And that... ^^^^^
Old 05-29-11, 06:41 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WonTian
I would imagine them to be stiffer with better ergonomics and durability. Also being carbon, they natural add some vibration dampening.
No to the first sentence, yes to the second.

Otherwise, I'm considering moving to some aluminum with ergo lowers. It takes awhile to get used to the "flex", particularly on the lowers, and when sprinting, I am still not so sure about cranking on them, although they have held up fine.
Old 05-29-11, 06:44 PM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most of the pros I know ride alloy bars and stems, for stiffness and durability
if you side load any carbon bar, it will crack quicker than you think, under the bar tape
if a team loses a lead out rider or work horse because their bars got bumped from the side during transport, that could cost the team a lot of money
the weight difference is nothing
Old 05-29-11, 07:16 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mugatu
most of the pros I know ride alloy bars and stems, for stiffness and durability
if you side load any carbon bar, it will crack quicker than you think, under the bar tape
if a team loses a lead out rider or work horse because
their bars got bumped from the side during transport, that could cost the team a lot of money
the weight difference is nothing
I didn't know pro teams transported their bikes in the trunks of their cars under their barbell sets.

Old 05-29-11, 07:21 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The other qualifier is I've only used carbon products from brands/sponsors/factories I know and/or trust. I've never used any eBay carbon products nor will I ever so I can't personally speak to this.
I should buy some $70/each carbon bottle cages from the LBS. My eBay ones, from God only knows where, haven't been tested thoroughly enough to hold my water bottles.

I kid...
Old 05-29-11, 07:48 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by zigmeister
I should buy some $70/each carbon bottle cages from the LBS. My eBay ones, from God only knows where, haven't been tested thoroughly enough to hold my water bottles.

I kid...
It's funny, a broken cage most likely isn't going to cause anyone to go down but boy does it piss you off when you're a few hours from home, your cage is broken, your bottle is gone and the option of finding more water is at least an hour away.

I just don't like to use junk.

Full disclosure: I use plastic holders from Topeak. I've only broken 1 pc in 3 years.

Old 05-29-11, 08:09 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's funny, a broken cage most likely isn't going to cause anyone to go down but boy does it piss you off when you're a few hours from home, your cage is broken, your bottle is gone and the option of finding more water is at least an hour away.

Full disclosure: I use plastic holders from Topeak. I've only broken 1 pc in 3 years.
I used these -----> https://www.topeak.com/products/Bottle-Cages/MonoCage
until I hit a hard pot hole in NYC and a bottle shot out and landed under
my rear wheel which rolled over it and damn near made me crash.
I'd say it lasted me about a year before the little rubber thingy on it wore out.

That was all the justification I needed for these ----->
https://www.arundelbike.com/mandible.html?p=1.1.1.7
I'm very happy with them (and got both of mine for $78./shipped).

[IMG]I just don't like to use junk.[/IMG]

Totally agree.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 05-29-11 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 08:16 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Now, I'm not in any way saying that more $ automatically equals
better quality or that less $ automatically equals lesser quality.
Old 05-29-11, 08:17 PM
simnorm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was curious to try carbon and got lucky. I just scored a mint condition Ritchey superlogic II with a WCS alloy stem for 100$. The guy upgraded to the Wing version.
Old 05-30-11, 03:33 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There are many threads on BFs identifying failures in components from respected brands. Hell, Shimano is up there with the 6700 chains and cranks. And what about Bontrager?

Brand is no guarantee whatsoever.

Dopolina's points about accountability are worthy, but too often even the top brands have an escape clause that allows them to avoid exposure to liability, and its relates to abuse, damage and other things caused by the operator.

His point about doing searches on a more obscure brand is obvious, isn't it? And buying unbranded, too?

By the way, the CF bars I am talking about are Guizzos.
Old 05-30-11, 07:07 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just put Token Mono-Q white carbon fiber handlebars on my pedal force RS2 build. Cool looking and nice flat section in middle for climbing in saddle. Very stiff and just under $200. Compliments my SRAM Force 2010 group well.
Old 05-30-11, 07:17 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Rowan
His point about doing searches on a more obscure brand is obvious, isn't it? And buying unbranded, too?
You'd think so, wouldn't you, but I see the same questions come up again and again so I believe it bears repeating.

Old 05-30-11, 07:27 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Aluminum bars still have far too many advantages to ever really consider carbon bars. They are usually lighter, stiffer, and more durable given the same set of circumstances, and with modern hydroforming the number of complex shapes than can be produced is always increasing. Not to mention modern shot peening is making the structures even better performing with less material.....

As for "cool kids" riding carbon - lost me there. I know no one her locally who is serious about riding who uses carbon bars at all. I helped a national champ swap his carbon back to aluminum. When I asked him why he went to carbon to begin with he replied, "well...I got them for free so I figured I would try them. That was dumb and now I know why they were free. never again."

I've read that a lot of pros prefer aluminum bars because they will survive a crash better than the carbon bars. Weight reduction is no longer a concern for the pros anyways; getting the weight up to the limit is.
Old 05-30-11, 07:59 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This conversation could go on forever.

Probably the easiest way to look at it is this; Any company that brands an item, has offices you can contact and a presence in the industry has a vested interest in not having their products fail. Now, they may not be manufactureres and may be sourcing stuff from suppliers who do NOT have this same concern, but with a brand there is an avenue of recourse if there are problems and clear liability.

That's pretty much the only guarantee you can get.

As I've said before just because it is made in the same factory doesn't mean they use the same materials for everything made there or that they manufacture everything to the same tolerences. Those perameters are set by the customer (brand).

Also, the factory isn't responsible for any design flaws (although they will have some input in terms of manufacturing and a good factory will catch some stuff).

So, in short, I'd do a bit of googling to see if any brands have a reputation for failures. If so, I'd stay clear. I'd also avoid unbranded goods from unknown sources unless there is a level of trust with the seller as there are plenty of quality unbranded goods out there. Most of those are just unbranded items produced from open molds (molds any customer can buy from). BF is full of examples of these.

BTW, the same basic rules of thumb apply to products made from alloys as well. I mean it's not like an alloy crank arm or Ti pedal spindle have never failed.
This, of course, is not unique to Asian manufacturing.
Old 05-30-11, 08:01 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
Thanks for the responses 2ndGen and Bob.
How do we know the inexpensive (notice I'm not using the word cheap) no name handlebars aren't being manufactured by the same factories making them for the reputable companies?
Sort of like Giant does for all the lesser bike companies, I won't bother mentioning names
That's kind of the point. You DON'T know.
Old 05-30-11, 08:32 AM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know pro teams transported their bikes in the trunks of their cars under their barbell sets.
I'm talking about being tossed around as checked baggage at the airport and in the team trailer..
Old 05-30-11, 09:25 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I've read that a lot of pros prefer aluminum bars because they will survive a crash better than the carbon bars. Weight reduction is no longer a concern for the pros anyways; getting the weight up to the limit is.
Purely a personal opinion on my part, but I'd think that if a pro crashed,
they'd have another complete bike lined up ready to roll on the chase car.
I doubt that they worry about replacing anything.

I'd say that people who actually have to pay for their own bits worry more about replacement.
If I were to build a crit bike, it's be all aluminum definitely (at least, as much as possible).

Old 05-30-11, 10:34 AM
clink83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see you try to catch up to a peleton thats traveling 30mphish after changing out your bike, then get back to us why crash durability is important to pros.
Old 05-30-11, 10:44 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
I would like to see you try to catch up to a peleton thats traveling 30mphish after changing out your bike, then get back to us why crash durability is important to pros.

I've seen it. Pretty routine thing. Car pulls up, mechanic gives the rider his bike, pushes him back into rolling then POOF!

What kind of handlebars do most pros use again?

Last edited by 2ndGen; 05-30-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 12:15 PM
martialman.45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros chang bikes out bikes all the time just for new gears. Watch the Giro this year?
Old 05-30-11, 01:01 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Still one of the best explanations I've read, from the good folks at Competitive Cyclist--who actually SELL the $350 bars and the $100 Al ones...

Originally Posted by competitivecyclist.com
Are carbon handlebars safe?

The short answer is "yes", although the longer answer is a little more complicated. For some reason, as an industry we've become fixated on the weight of handlebars. It's as though breaking the 200g barrier will allow an average rider to suddenly contend for an alpine stage of the Tour de France. This, of course, is not the case. It's an irrational obsession that has serious ramifications in regards to the care and feeding of your bike.

A lot of very nicely made & very thoroughly tested carbon bars exist today. We need to accept the fact, though, that carbon bars have their Achilles heels. For example, you clamp aero bars to only one or two carbon bar models on the market today. Most aren't built to withstand such clamping force. And while carbon bars can handle unbelievable forces pushing downward on the tops or the drops, they aren't as robust in terms of the side-loaded forces a bike has to withstand during a crash.

If you're trying to build a tricked-out, superlight bike are carbon bars appropriate? Yes indeed. But ask yourself something: Why is it when you watch the video of the Tour de France you don't see a single rider with carbon handlebars? The answer is rather easy: Pro mechanics are big believers in due diligence. They know that if one of their riders crashes (and they all do), or if they accidentally drop or tip over a bike when loading it or unloading it, the handlebar takes the brunt of the force. In either situation prudence requires at the very least that you unwrap the bars, remove the STI or Ergo, and remove the stem to closely inspect the bar to ensure that no micro-cracking occurred as a result of the mishap. Such due diligence, of course, is an enormous pain in the ass, and sticking with an alloy bar that weighs in at 20g heavier is the sensible solution.

An engineer at FSA summarized the carbon bar situation very succinctly. He said that if the consumer demands F1-quality componentry, they need to have an F1- type mentality about it. How expensive are the composite components on an F1 car? Outrageous. How many races do most of those components make it through? Oftentimes one only. The notion that such components are built to last as long as a well-made carbon or alloy frame is simply wrong and misses the point entirely. Carbon bars, like carbon rims, are made with pure performance in mind, i.e. durability isn't paramount.

So, to answer the question, are carbon handlebars safe? Yes they are. But if you crash them, or otherwise submit them to odd side loaded forces (such as having your bike tip over when leaning against your car or garage wall), do everyone a favor and replace them.
Old 05-31-11, 11:16 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

First off, choosing your equipment based on the equipment chosen by pro teams to meet their needs is a foolhardy endeavour. Choosing your equipment based on some pithy verbage from a retailer who bases said verbage on the assumption of why pro teams make the desicions they do it doubly foolish.

Here's what I mean:

A pro team has somewhere between 30 to 50 riders in their immediate program. The usually have 2 to 4 mechanics for these riders. Based on the number of race days available to the riders it means that somehwere between 5 to 50 bikes have been raced on or trained on on any given day. What do you think the odds are that at least one of those bike has been crashed?

How much time do you think is involved checking the entire bike of a crashed rider to ensure that something is not going to fail in the near future? Do some sort of calculation that looks at the amount of days ridden/raced for the total amount of riders on a PRO TEAM vs the amount of working hours a staff of techs can provide.

Now, consider the fact that a carbon bar that has been damaged due to a crash is not blatantly obvious to identify and involves some time and effort and balance that against the time available to the time a PRO mechanic has to spend on each bike then a 20g saving is no longer a viable option for a PRO rider.

This DOES NOT mean that pro riders don't use carbon bars. They do under certain conditions but newer technologies have made alloy bars the most practical choice for PRO TEAMS to use during a season.

Now, to the rest of us:

Carbon bars will handle all the stresses that BF wannabes can throw at them and then some. The total amount of hours raced/ridden by a pro team rider vs a cat nothing rider mashing away in a wind swept industrial park somewhere is not even worth doing the math.

Now, if you are involved in a hard crash you should always give your bike a good going over after the fact regadless of materials. Shifters and saddles can be knocked out of alignment, hangers can be bent, damage to wheels is an obvious problem and handlebars can suffer some significant stressess. ALL should be inspected regardless of materials as no material is immune to failure under those conditions.

In short my point is this:

1. Pro teams choose the equipment that is left to them to choose (after sponsorships) based on a completely different set of criteria that ANY BF wannabe will encounter.

2. Carbon bars will only save you a few grams (vs current high-end alloy bar technology) so the decision should be based more on ergonomics (shape) or physiological reasons (max vibration dampening) or coolness factor than anything else.

3. Worrying that carbon will fail because your bike fell over at Starbucks is just plain stupid (but if you want to but a new bar go ahead. It helps sustain the industry and makes products cheaper for the me as factories are more likely to recoup their tooling cost from you Nervous Nancys which lowers my OE purchasing price).

And as a last aside, I've created/sponsored/ridden on Elite teams (as in Asian Tour level teams) since carbon cockpits have come into being and we have always used carbon and we have never suffered a catastrophic failure. We have had failures (my hand to GOD I am actually sending back 2 failures today) but they are related to caps that cover internal cables failing or bars that were damaged during high speed crashes (alloy bars would have been replaced under similar conditions) prudently being replaced.

IMHO I would sugest that carbon is a perfectly viable material for handlebars and requires no more diligence than a similar product made of alloys like aluminum.

I ride carbon bars and will do so with comfort and confidence until a better design/material comes along.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 05-31-11 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-31-11, 07:54 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Still one of the best explanations I've read, from the good folks at Competitive Cyclist--who actually SELL the $350 bars and the $100 Al ones...
And that's probably why companies that made exclusinely CF parts like Zipp now sell Al as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.