Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Handlebars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Fiber Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 08:53 PM
ilike3bikes

Bikes: Cervelo RS; Marin 29er; Masi; Gary Fisher MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FSA, 3T and Deda make compact bars ranging from 123 to 125 to 128 drops. I have tried the FSA 125s and the Deda 128s. I can ride in the drops all day with the FSA 125s, not so much with the Deda 128s. I have the Deda 128 on my Cervelo RS now; I want to go back to the FSA 125s in about a 44 length.
Old 05-31-11, 10:00 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
And that's probably why companies that made exclusinely CF parts like Zipp now sell Al as well.
Actually that may have more to do with hitting a price point that their carbon products can't.

Old 06-01-11, 01:26 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
IMHO
Humble your opinion is not. Everything you write is worth reading.

(Except when you post threads about being Home Alone).
Old 06-01-11, 03:39 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
And as a last aside, I've created/sponsored/ridden on Elite teams (as in Asian Tour level teams) since carbon cockpits have come into being and we have always used carbon and we have never suffered a catastrophic failure. We have had failures (my hand to GOD I am actually sending back 2 failures today) but they are related to caps that cover internal cables failing or bars that were damaged during high speed crashes (alloy bars would have been replaced under similar conditions) prudently being replaced.
OK, so you replaced them after they were damaged, and they were more expensive than if they'd been alloy bars. I think I might understand that, even as a lowly amateur cyclist down here with the unwashed masses. I'm reassured, however, that since I was just mashing away in an industrial park that I wasn't able to actually break the top tube of a CF frame in two and severely bend an alloy bar, and that was really a hallucination. After all, I'm not an Asian Tour pro, so I must not be able to stress a frame like that.

It only takes one, so this lowly amateur will still pay 1/3 the price for the product that's essentially the same weight and less likely to fail when it comes to road bars.

Last edited by DrPete; 06-01-11 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 04:04 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by DrPete
OK, so you replaced them after they were damaged, and they were more expensive than if they'd been alloy bars. I think I might understand that, even as a lowly amateur cyclist down here with the unwashed masses. I'm reassured, however, that since I was just mashing away in an industrial park that I wasn't able to actually break the top tube of a CF frame in two and severely bend an alloy bar, and that was really a hallucination. After all, I'm not an Asian Tour pro, so I must not be able to stress a frame like that.

It only takes one, so this lowly amateur will still pay 1/3 the price for the product that's essentially the same weight and less likely to fail when it comes to road bars.
I certainly never said stuff doesn't break or that the hoi polloi is capable of or doesn't, in fact, break stuff on a regular basis as you clearly point out.

And yes, our cockpits are replaced after every season but we would replace alloy bars as well. Nothing different between the two in that regard but that's not really your point, is it? Is there something about the level at which I used to ride that bothers you? I'm certainly not there now but there are riders on my team who are and still do. So what.

Your point about the weight savings no longer being there and that alloy bars are 1/3 the price is completely valid and I did address this in my post. Here we agree. I listed the reasons why I think someone might choose carbon bars over alloy. I still think that applies.

Enjoy your alloy and I'll enjoy my carbon.

Old 06-01-11, 04:06 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Rowan
Humble your opinion is not.
I gave it up for Lent and liked it so much I decided to keep it going.

Old 06-01-11, 05:13 AM
king-tony
Ninja don't wear flipflop

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix SL3, BMC TM01...if it every ships

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm going to get rid of that silly carbon fork and steerer.
Old 06-01-11, 05:28 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by king-tony
I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm going to get rid of that silly carbon fork and steerer.
I always reminds me of how it was Hincapie's alloy steerer that failed and not his carbon bars or fork...

Old 06-01-11, 05:53 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I certainly never said stuff doesn't break or that the hoi polloi is capable of or doesn't, in fact, break stuff on a regular basis as you clearly point out.

And yes, our cockpits are replaced after every season but we would replace alloy bars as well. Nothing different between the two in that regard but that's not really your point, is it? Is there something about the level at which I used to ride that bothers you? I'm certainly not there now but there are riders on my team who are and still do. So what.

Your point about the weight savings no longer being there and that alloy bars are 1/3 the price is completely valid and I did address this in my post. Here we agree. I listed the reasons why I think someone might choose carbon bars over alloy. I still think that applies.

Enjoy your alloy and I'll enjoy my carbon.
Fair enough. Only thing I really took issue with was that we "wannabes" do actually break stuff too. You're right--a crashed alloy bar is going to get the same inspection from me as a crashed carbon bar, but I feel far more comfortable identifying damage to an alloy bar than I do carbon, and with the cost being lower I'll be more likely to do the right thing and replace a damaged bar. That's the big point from the CC snippet I posted--You can't assume that just because something is super-expensive that it's super durable. It's a fallacy that I'm sure shop owners see every day--"for what I paid for this, it should last forever."

Another thing I don't really agree with is the idea that the equipment decisions of pro teams don't matter to an amateur. If I'm looking for equipment that'll take a beating, I'm going to look for the stuff that's used by people who are much harder on their equipment than I am.

And at the end of the day, there's a lot more alloy in the peloton than carbon when it comes to bars. So either cost is more of an object than anyone believes or there's some reason most teams are still running alloy bars. Looking at the 5 pro bikes that pop up on cyclingnews.com this morning, 4 of them have alloy bars. All of the alloy bars come from companies that also offer carbon bars (Oval Concepts, Ritchey, and 3T). So if these are designed to be the flagships that sell bikes to all those wannabes, why do 1/5 of them have the "top-of-the-line" bar?

Last edited by DrPete; 06-01-11 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 07:58 AM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
i think the point of all of this is not that everyone should be riding on carbon bars, but simply that there are perfectly logical reasons for some people to use them, and that those reasons do not apply to everyone at any level (from freds to pros). i choose to run carbon bars, but that says nothing about the wisdom of anyone else's decision to use them or not. some reasons for not using either option are perfectly reasonable, and some are superstitious and unfounded. simply because carbon bars made by reputable companies are more expensive does not necessarily mean they are "top of the line", it simply means they are more expensive to manufacture, and they must make enough sense to enough people to justify offering them at a given price.

guessing at the reasons for x number of pros using one option or another is simply that, guessing. the waters of sponsorship, personal preference, mechanics preference, spare bikes, stage profiles, weight strategies, etc are generally far too murky to make any sense out of why a certain component is chosen over another one. even if we could know that, it probably wouldn't apply to us mortals anyway. that is why for me it simply comes down to what i like.
Old 06-01-11, 08:59 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
i think the point of all of this is not that everyone should be riding on carbon bars, but simply that there are perfectly logical reasons for some people to use them, and that those reasons do not apply to everyone at any level (from freds to pros). i choose to run carbon bars, but that says nothing about the wisdom of anyone else's decision to use them or not. some reasons for not using either option are perfectly reasonable, and some are superstitious and unfounded. simply because carbon bars made by reputable companies are more expensive does not necessarily mean they are "top of the line", it simply means they are more expensive to manufacture, and they must make enough sense to enough people to justify offering them at a given price.

guessing at the reasons for x number of pros using one option or another is simply that, guessing. the waters of sponsorship, personal preference, mechanics preference, spare bikes, stage profiles, weight strategies, etc are generally far too murky to make any sense out of why a certain component is chosen over another one. even if we could know that, it probably wouldn't apply to us mortals anyway. that is why for me it simply comes down to what i like.
For me, race bike: Aluminum
Road bike: Carbon

But, I'd never use a carbon bike on a mountain bike.
The overwhelming majority of carbon bar failures seem to be on MTB's.
Old 06-01-11, 09:16 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting how the 3T lineup of bars have LTD, Team and Pro models. Every Pro model is aluminum.

My FSA SL-K compact bars are ok, but definitely "flexy" in the drops. It took me awhile to get used to it, and I am still not so sure about cranking on them in a sprint. Looking to move to aluminum likely, not just for the flexy issue, but also they are not comfortable at all in the drops. Compact seems like some nonsensical "trendy" idea that doesn't seem to work so well in real life for some people.
Old 06-01-11, 01:48 PM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perfect timing on this thread! I was looking for new bars for my rebuild, just pulled the trigger on the 3T Ergonova Pro (Aluminum) $65 w/free shipping! I was looking for a wing style bar and got lost in the analysis of options. Thanks for all the comments!
Old 06-01-11, 02:39 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Interesting how the 3T lineup of bars have LTD, Team and Pro models. Every Pro model is aluminum.

My FSA SL-K compact bars are ok, but definitely "flexy" in the drops. It took me awhile to get used to it, and I am still not so sure about cranking on them in a sprint. Looking to move to aluminum likely, not just for the flexy issue, but also they are not comfortable at all in the drops. Compact seems like some nonsensical "trendy" idea that doesn't seem to work so well in real life for some people.
Thank God that when it comes to all of the interfaces between rider and bike there are so many options. I'd hate to think that someone would ever really believe that one saddle would fit all, one shoe, one pair of shorts.....or one handlebar.....I think you get where I am going.

Personally I have found compact bars to be amazing. I am also not alone in that regard. I also realize there are some that are better it with deep drops. Some with Ergo drops, Some with classic bends......etc.....

Old 06-01-11, 03:22 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Thank God that when it comes to all of the interfaces between rider and bike there are so many options. I'd hate to think that someone would ever really believe that one saddle would fit all, one shoe, one pair of shorts.....or one handlebar.....I think you get where I am going.

Personally I have found compact bars to be amazing. I am also not alone in that regard. I also realize there are some that are better it with deep drops. Some with Ergo drops, Some with classic bends......etc.....
Totally agree. The compact fit for me (by FSA) is perfect.
Handlebars are as personal as saddles or pedals or stem lengths.
Old 06-01-11, 03:41 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's the big point from the CC snippet I posted--You can't assume that just because something is super-expensive that it's super durable. It's a fallacy that I'm sure shop owners see every day--"for what I paid for this, it should last forever."
I guess it's not common sense that parts designed for ultra-light weight might be less durable.

Another thing I don't really agree with is the idea that the equipment decisions of pro teams don't matter to an amateur. If I'm looking for equipment that'll take a beating, I'm going to look for the stuff that's used by people who are much harder on their equipment than I am.
That's another fallacy. The usage scenarios for pros and amateurs are very different. While pros are harder on equipment, that equipment gets constant maintenance from full-time mechanics and it's significantly more expendable since it's covered by sponsorship dollars.
Old 06-01-11, 06:10 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by motorthings

+1.

Old 06-18-11, 09:03 AM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...ment/an-oddity

alloy bars, protour prototype bike