Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titanium Frame MTB ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Titanium Frame MTB ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 01:48 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Titanium Frame MTB ?

Heading out to pick up this mysterious bike. The owner says there is no decals, but his local LBS identified it as titanium. The welds seem like they are smaller than what aluminum has but what the heck do I know. I figured I'd take a chance on it due to the crankset.
I'll get more pictures when I return.

Old 08-08-21, 01:53 PM
sdn40

False alarm. Owner messaged me and said he promised someone else he could look at it first ----- errrrr ---- someone offered more money
Old 08-08-21, 02:46 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The crankset look like a Syncros clone. The best feature to identify most Ti bicycles are the rear dropouts, as they are typically custom cut from Ti plate and therefore often different from one brand to another. Unfortunately, in this case the rear dropouts aren't really visible. Regardless, it's a moot point as the bicycle was sold out from under the OP.
Old 08-08-21, 02:56 PM
sdn40

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The crankset look like a Syncros clone. The best feature to identify most Ti bicycles are the rear dropouts, as they are typically custom cut from Ti plate and therefore often different from one brand to another. Unfortunately, in this case the rear dropouts aren't really visible. Regardless, it's a moot point as the bicycle was sold out from under the OP.
Thanks for the info. I messaged back the seller and said "In other words you got an offer over your asking price" and he actually admitted it and said "good guess."
Not much one can do in that situation. No gain in throwing a fit. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often
Old 08-08-21, 04:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
What was the asking price?

I've had that happen. I was on the road when I got a text message saying that the frame had been sold out from under me.

I don't bargain very frequently by e-mail, but in that case, I likely would have given the seller an extra $20 when picking up the frame anyway.

It does look like an older Titanium frame. Litespeed and Lynskey both would have been building in Titanium during that era. Plus a few other brands.
Old 08-08-21, 04:54 PM
sdn40

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What was the asking price?

I've had that happen. I was on the road when I got a text message saying that the frame had been sold out from under me.

I don't bargain very frequently by e-mail, but in that case, I likely would have given the seller an extra $20 when picking up the frame anyway.

It does look like an older Titanium frame. Litespeed and Lynskey both would have been building in Titanium during that era. Plus a few other brands.
$100 - We texted back and forth talking about the frame and components etc. I said I'd take it and scheduled to drive up to get it. He messaged me saying "sorry I promised someone else they could see it first." I pretty much knew right away and that's when I flat out asked him. Granted he should have given me the chance to match, but he didn't know I'd call him out on it
Old 08-08-21, 05:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
$100 - We texted back and forth talking about the frame and components etc. I said I'd take it and scheduled to drive up to get it. He messaged me saying "sorry I promised someone else they could see it first." I pretty much knew right away and that's when I flat out asked him. Granted he should have given me the chance to match, but he didn't know I'd call him out on it
Depending on how far away it was... $100, and you should have dropped everything and gotten on the road.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-08-21, 08:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
You should have offered more and dicked over the other guy.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-09-21, 04:10 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
That rear brake screams McMahon....
Old 08-09-21, 12:48 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Depending on how far away it was... $100, and you should have dropped everything and gotten on the road.
Yep. Seems like the OP "Looked a gift horse in the mouth".
Old 08-09-21, 01:24 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
The moment has passed, but I suspect that might be a Ti bike from a Russian manufacturer. I worked at a place who was importing those for a while and got one custom made for myself ~20 years ago. I noticed earlier in the summer that a deep gouge in the chainstay has fully converted into a crack, so am debating what to do with it now.

The company I worked for is no longer in business so no advice from them.
Old 08-09-21, 03:01 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Seems like the cranks are McMahon Steely Danz and are worth some coin in their own right
Likes For Clang:
Old 08-09-21, 03:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
That's a bummer. The guy that beat you out got a sweet old machine. The cranks and the XTR front der are strong signs that this was a high-0end machine in its prime, and is still probably a very good ride.
Old 08-09-21, 05:31 PM
sdn40

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Yep. Seems like the OP "Looked a gift horse in the mouth".
Scheduled the meet up time as soon as he was available. Not much I could do. I can't stop the guy from receiving messages in the interim