Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Performance Bike..I miss it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 07:03 PM
alfaspider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

i lve in sacramento.now all we have are trek and specialized bikes.. nice thing about performance bike.. great selection of bikes, tires.. etc.. trek and specialized dont carry much stuff..
Likes For alfaspider:
Old 01-09-23, 08:22 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Performance Bike

Yeah, I miss their local shop that used to be in the Chicago area. Bill
Old 01-09-23, 09:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
It's kind of love/hate for me. They swooped in with "LBS's" and drove other stores out of business, then raised their prices, and finally packed up and left town. Lucky for me we have a few strong independent shops which survived and are back to providing quality service with decent prices. Never had a problem with Performance's selection or service, but they left us high and dry when it didn't suit them to have physical stores anymore.

For what it's worth, Amain owns Performance and Nashbar, and is just a short 90 minutes away from Sacramento.
Old 01-09-23, 09:40 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
They were going to open a store across the street from my LBS. But they hit the financial skids and ended their retail operations before the store opened.

Didn't end up mattering as my LBS ended up closing their doors up a couple of years later anyway,
Old 01-10-23, 01:58 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I miss being able to go into a store to buy a $7 fleece, quality, store-brand earband. I'm wearing one right now that I got from them., but wish I could get more.
Old 01-10-23, 06:31 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I don't recall them ever penetrating the NE U.S., I went to a physical store once (in Md) close to the end, though I didn't know they were ending at the time.
I used to order online all of the time, though. I figure about 75-80% of my gear and consumables was from them. Parts, and anything I didn't have experience with (e.g. cycling shoes/pedals for my wife who had never ridden clipless, disk brake pads when I got a new bike; pin wrench for an eccentric BB, stuff like that) I would normally get at the LBS, along with some advice.
The online store is still up, but when they "downsized" I found alternatives, so I spread my purchases out a lot more now.
Old 01-10-23, 07:46 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's kind of love/hate for me. They swooped in with "LBS's" and drove other stores out of business, then raised their prices, and finally packed up and left town. Lucky for me we have a few strong independent shops which survived and are back to providing quality service with decent prices. Never had a problem with Performance's selection or service, but they left us high and dry when it didn't suit them to have physical stores anymore.

For what it's worth, Amain owns Performance and Nashbar, and is just a short 90 minutes away from Sacramento.
Yeah, but Chico is not exactly the hot shopping destination for Sacramento area residents
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 01-10-23, 08:09 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
We had one here too. They had a large inventory of clothes, helmets, shoes etc. that a small LBS simply can't afford to stock. Tires and chains I can buy online, but clothing is not as predictable. Now we are stuck with the buy-and-return scenario, same as other consumer goods.
Old 01-10-23, 08:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
They had their own unique quirks that differentiated them from other bike shops, while the current on-line shop is nothing different from all the other on-line bike shops. I liked the 'wall of tools' in the shop that was near me, great if you liked to do your own wrenching. Their house-brand tires were a great deal, too; yep they were noticeably heavier than other brands, but inexpensive and road nicely enough for the 'beater' and 'rehab'd' bicycles I like to ride. There house-brand fingerless gloves were one clothing item I liked, too.
Likes For skidder:
Old 01-10-23, 09:19 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by alfaspider
i lve in sacramento.now all we have are trek and specialized bikes.. nice thing about performance bike.. great selection of bikes, tires.. etc.. trek and specialized dont carry much stuff..
You're in luck!!! We have the internet and hundreds of online stores to buy things from. They carry lots of stuff!!!
Old 01-10-23, 10:07 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I was never a fan, but I understand the need that Performance shops fulfilled. The REI bike department seems to be a pretty close facsimile.
Old 01-10-23, 10:36 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I had the good fortune to have three stores within 10 or so miles, and miss them too. Some of their products were exemplary, probably because they had great buying power. It was always handy to have a bike shop that was open until 9PM if I needed something at the last minute. Fortunately I'm still enjoying many products purchased on their last day 90% off sale.
Old 01-10-23, 01:55 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I miss their inexpensive Forte store-brand tires. At one point, I had 26" x 1.75" Forte Gotham tires on my commuter, 700x25 Forte tires on my older road bike, 700x38 Forte Greenway tires on my wife's bike, and 26" x 2.0" Dartmoor tires on both of my kids' bikes.
Likes For Squeeze:
Old 01-10-23, 03:20 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I have the Forte Gotham 700c x 35 tires on mine and my wife's Cannondale hybrids. They are cheap, smooth, and very flat resistant.
Old 01-10-23, 04:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
There service department at least near me was atrocious, thankfully it wasn't them that put the local shop out of business it was Trek a couple years later. I guess they had some cheap stuff that was semi-decent but nothing that exceptional. I think I remember them having 105 in a display case like some shops might display Campagnolo Super Record or Dura Ace or something like that, Not knocking 105, it is a solid workhorse groupset but nothing fancy.
Old 01-10-23, 06:42 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
For those of us who didn't have an urban center with good variety of shops and available shops, Nashbar and Performance printed catalogs were just a god send. I still have some "relaxed" tights and wind pants - as well as a bunch of hardware items and jerseys - that gotta be 25+ years old. The house band stuff they sold was always good quality for a good price and lots of variety. When they evolved into online, that was good too. The New Performance is OK at best, but not my first go-to any more for online.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-10-23, 08:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
They had some house brand clothing and shoes that were just plain excellent for winter, no style points needed riding. 20 years ago I bought their mesh tank T for 19 bucks. Liked wearing it enough that I bought another. Ultimately more than a half dozen so I could wear a clean pair for every commute. And now? Every one is as good as new except a little greyer. (Get worn less now but that is only because the expensive Patagonia Ts are so comfortable.)

I also bought one polypropylene jersey. So-so fit, not good enough to be seen. I'd had poor luck with polypropylene in the past so I didn't have high hopes but I needed the long sleeves. Well, 20 years later, it is still my long sleeve under jersey for 30-50F because it works so well! Wore it today and without thinking about it per say, remarked to myself that once again I nailed it for comfort.

Performance also nailed it with the house brand shoes they carried for years. Eventually I learned they were Lakes (when I finally saw Lakes at another shop and compared).
Old 01-10-23, 11:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
My former commute-to-work Performance Focus bike:

made of Tange Prestige tubing (stiff).
Performance rebranded a bunch of products under their Forte house brand. For example, Wellgo MG8 magnesium SPD pedals, ITM quill stems, and Microshift brifters were all rebranded into Forte products. These were manufacturers who maybe just missed the cut for tier 1, but they were solid products nonetheless. They were not peddling junk at all. In that sense Performance was much more than just a retailer. They worked hard to establish their own bikes and product lines.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-11-23, 09:46 AM
Steel Charlie

Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I have no idea what caused the demise of the storefronts, but in the Sacramento area the two stores that I dealt with had absolutely horrible locations and so invisible that searching was required for the first visit.
Old 01-11-23, 10:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
My favorite aspect of Performance was the clothing. They had things that actually fit tall clydes. The "elite" shorts were quite comfortable and wore well. Their selection on bikes here in Atl was pretty much on par with BD except that you could actually ride it. I picked up a GT city type bike not long before they closed, never even got in for the free tune up, lol. Unless I want to shop Trek/Bontrager or a really small Specialized shop the nearest LBS with good variety is up in Atlanta.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 01-11-23, 11:59 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I was never a fan, but I understand the need that Performance shops fulfilled. The REI bike department seems to be a pretty close facsimile.
I used to go into the Performance and REI next to each other in Santa Rosa, and can confirm.

I liked Performance; they had all the basics and more. Their staff was usually pretty knowledgeable. I have stuff from them that I bought in the mid-00’s that’s still going strong.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 01-11-23, 12:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I have no idea what caused the demise of the storefronts, but in the Sacramento area the two stores that I dealt with had absolutely horrible locations and so invisible that searching was required for the first visit.
The Santa Rosa store had parking in the back. So the only entrance they had open was the back door. So if you actually biked up to the front of the store, you might not know it was there.
Old 01-11-23, 04:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
They had a store in San Mateo, less than a mile from my house. They didn't have everything I needed, but they did have the mundane stuff, like tubes, or water bottles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-11-23, 04:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
My favorite aspect of Performance was the clothing. They had things that actually fit tall clydes. The "elite" shorts were quite comfortable and wore well. Their selection on bikes here in Atl was pretty much on par with BD except that you could actually ride it. I picked up a GT city type bike not long before they closed, never even got in for the free tune up, lol. Unless I want to shop Trek/Bontrager or a really small Specialized shop the nearest LBS with good variety is up in Atlanta.
In addition to the stuff I mentioned in my post above, two of my favorite bibs of all time were IIRC, both the Ultra and Elite bibs they sold years ago. I ordered some a couple of years ago from the New Performance and they weren't the same and I didn't like them. I thought both the Elite and Ultra were about as good as anything I've ever worn even at 3X the price.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-11-23, 04:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
My former commute-to-work Performance Focus bike:

made of Tange Prestige tubing (stiff).
Performance rebranded a bunch of products under their Forte house brand. For example, Wellgo MG8 magnesium SPD pedals, ITM quill stems, and Microshift brifters were all rebranded into Forte products. These were manufacturers who maybe just missed the cut for tier 1, but they were solid products nonetheless. They were not peddling junk at all. In that sense Performance was much more than just a retailer. They worked hard to establish their own bikes and product lines.
I still have Forte/Wellgo LOOK Delta pedals I'm riding now. Yes, cheap pedals and I do not expect them to go forever, but 10-15k miles? No sweat and no issues at all. (I absolutely fear unclipping at the wrong moment and crashing hard. Clipless will never go on one of my fix gears as and soon as I have my first doubt, they are off my geared bikes. I will not invest enough money to feel "wedded" to any clipless. By contrast, I still love the redundancy and safety of cleats and toestraps.)

And their cheap house brand gloves. They fit nicely, wore a long time and disappeared riding.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-11-23 at 04:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.