Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone still making/selling 1 1/8" quill stems?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 12:46 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts

I'm lucky to have two decent bike co-ops within driving distance and am a longtime craigslist user, so I know where to get used ones.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone is still selling new 1 1/8" quill stems in black. I'm building up a very clean '95 (I think) Giant Iguana frame & fork with mostly new parts and would prefer to order a new one for this particular project.

The only ones I've found so far are adjustable ones, which I do not want.

Thanks for any leads.

Edited to add: I should have checked eBay before posting this. I don't usually do business there, but it looks like there are many to choose from and some NOS ones as well.

Last edited by Squeeze; 06-16-23 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 01:11 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Yah they are all crap, both sizes. The ones I saw 5 years ago mostly had idiotic 120 mm reach and a stupid short shaft.
The bare alu 1" ones have lots of sizes, but gouge up like butter and tarnish in no time. WTF.
So I made all my 3 stems from Metal Mart pipes. The insert pipes are cro-mo. Took me 7 tries to get them straight and sort of pretty. LOL.
Two 8 mm bolts and nickel plated that's indestructible.
Old 06-16-23, 01:13 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
Last I checked Sunlite still made these, as does Nitto if you want something nicer. You can also find a quill-to-threadless adapter in that size which will open up a lot more options, using a threadless stem.
Old 06-16-23, 01:29 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Last I checked Sunlite still made these, as does Nitto if you want something nicer. You can also find a quill-to-threadless adapter in that size which will open up a lot more options, using a threadless stem.
Thanks.

I've seen the quill-to-threadless adapters, but wouldn't that just be adding weight and needless complexity? I'm certainly not a weight weenie, but using one piece instead of several just seems simpler.
Old 06-16-23, 01:54 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The ones I saw 5 years ago mostly had idiotic 120 mm reach and a stupid short shaft.
Hey!, wait a minute.

I ride with a 120 mm stem made by TTT. I have long arms and a long torso. I ride a very large frame, too, but the top tube just isn't long enough.People like me are why they were made.
Old 06-16-23, 02:22 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I'm lucky to have two decent bike co-ops within driving distance and am a longtime craigslist user, so I know where to get used ones.
That said, I'm wondering if anyone is still selling new 1 1/8" quill stems in black. I'm building up a very clean '95 (I think) Giant Iguana frame & fork with mostly new parts and would prefer to order a new one for this particular project.
Buy a used one and paint it.
Don't buy this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266249291644?
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 06-16-23, 03:14 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
Thanks.

I've seen the quill-to-threadless adapters, but wouldn't that just be adding weight and needless complexity? I'm certainly not a weight weenie, but using one piece instead of several just seems simpler.
Depending on the parts used, an adapter + threadless stem is sometimes lighter than a quill stem on its own. I wouldn’t call them needlessly complex - they make height adjustments simpler than a threadless setup, and will give you a wider range of stems to work with as far as length, angle, and clamp size.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 06-16-23, 03:24 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Thanks.

Not in all cases. A Nitto Dynamic II quill stem @ 120mm weighs more than a Nitto quill adapter and a VO threadless stem. The extra benefit is that with the quill adpater and threadless stem, you can adjust everything, down to the millimeter. Almost all my old steel road bikes have that kind of set up.