Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Anyone know what this bike is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 12:09 PM
Azriel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone know what this bike is worth?

Old 09-10-23, 02:52 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
First of, thanks for getting Duran Duran stuck in my head...

What the heck is going on with the rear triangle? Were they thinking about doing some sort of rear suspension but then gave up?

Is it worth the $120 they are asking for? Maybe? I mean a junkier bike store bike would set you back 3 times as much. So far as vintage value goes I guess if your specialty is that time in the '80s when they came up with the funky colors this would be a really good example.
Likes For abdon:
Old 09-10-23, 05:45 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon

What the heck is going on with the rear triangle? Were they thinking about doing some sort of rear suspension but then gave up?
All the cool kids were riding wishbone seat stays while listening to "Rio" and "Hungry Like the Wolf" long before (usable) rear suspension was a thing.

Question for the OP: do the shifters work in all gears? Surviving Rapidfire shifters from this era sometimes have problems with shifting through their entire range due to solidified grease in the mechanisms. Bad or gunky shifters can affect value, even if the frame or other items are in good shape.
Old 09-10-23, 07:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

lol, me too
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-11-23, 09:51 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Well it's fairly nice early 90's bike as or value it is worth more than that the Deore XT components are worth 4x that or more if they work. If the frame is good and and everything works I would put the value at $150-200 as is.
Old 09-11-23, 04:50 PM
abdon 

Your neck of the woods must be more generous than mine. Good shape no-name aluminum bike in good working order, maybe $100 at the beginning of the season. This late in the season? Good luck.
Old 09-14-23, 11:54 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Your neck of the woods must be more generous than mine. Good shape no-name aluminum bike in good working order, maybe $100 at the beginning of the season. This late in the season? Good luck.

Complete bike sold locally here? $100. Paid $40 for one very similar, with full XT parts. And a more desirable steel frame too. But that was a DEAL IMO. The value is in the parts: $300 or more.

It's sadly gotten to the point if I find a nice vintage MTB like this one for $50 that needs cables, pedals, maybe a new chain, saddle and tires, I can put 4 hours into it, $100 into parts, and lose money. Or I can spend an hour dismantling, and sell the parts, and make $250 or more. The economics of most rigid frame MTBs have cratered, there are exceptions!

And if your market is better, great!

Last edited by wrk101; 09-14-23 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-14-23, 12:16 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by wrk101
Complete bike sold locally here? $100. Paid $40 for one very similar, with full XT parts. And a more desirable steel frame too. But that was a DEAL IMO. The value is in the parts: $300 or more.

It's sadly gotten to the point if I find a nice vintage MTB like this one for $50 that needs cables, pedals, maybe a new chain, saddle and tires, I can put 4 hours into it, $100 into parts, and lose money. Or I can spend an hour dismantling, and sell the parts, and make $250 or more. The economics of most rigid frame MTBs have cratered, there are exceptions!

And if your market is better, great!
Well that's just the reality of this game. Many many many bikes are worth a fraction of what parting them would bring. The last bike I parted was a Performance Superbe Pro, Performance being an obscure badge from a company that had them built in Japan (tange 1 tubing). The superbe bit well, a full Suntour Superbe group set in pretty new condition. It is a crying shame; quite a good bike and frame but not my size. The bike on a good day would have fetch $200, the group set would certainly fetch $400+ on the bay.

I sadly agree. If the parts on the bike are worth more than the bike, the only way you can realize that money is selling the parts.
Old 09-14-23, 12:18 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
$40 at best. Pretty annoying how ppl find random trash then immediately jump on the internet with omg how much monies are I entitled too.
Old 09-14-23, 02:24 PM
abdon 

The part of the question we never seen to look at is the "to whom". To a vintage enthusiast it is worthless (as a complete bike). To somebody looking for transportation, well you can do worse. For somebody dipping their toes in the vintage lifestyle, well you could do better.

If people would include what is their interest in the bike it would help to answer the question.