Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Univega Rover Sport made in Taiwan worth $150? (looking for a commuter bike).

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 05:12 PM
Azriel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Old 12-08-23, 07:58 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Looks like a decent late-1980s Univega with a solid hi-ten or straight gauge cromoly frame. If 100% operational with decent tires and brake blocks, that's about what it would be listed for at a local co-op in our area. The componentry looks solid but pre-Hyperglide. The paint looks OK from the photos except for the stays, but that's without being able to see in detail. If it suits your needs and fits you, you like the color, and is 100% operational, it doesn't seem like a horrible deal, but there is the possibility (but no guarantee) you could find something better for the same or less if you keep looking.

Edit: It could be a 1987 model based on https://univegacatalogs.files.wordpr...87univega4.jpg , in which case it would be a CrMo frame. If you look on the back of the derailleur parallelogram, you might see a two-letter code. If the code starts with K (1986) or L (1987) that would corroborate the rough date.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 12-08-23 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-09-23, 10:24 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
To ride? Probably $100 if everything works as it should and doesn't need consumables replaced. Paying $150 for a "right here right now I'm riding this evening" is not the worst thing you could do. I'm very frugal (stingy really) but even I know that these one-off expenses can be given more wiggle room for the sake of expediency. Not all of us like to spend untold hours hunting bikes down.

From a vintage perspective, the very early 80's saw manufacturers put their absolutely best foot forward in regards of quality and components. By the late 80's it became a race to the bottom trying to see how cheap a bike they could market. This is a good bike, but a shadow of what was coming up in day 81~84
Likes For abdon:
Old 12-09-23, 11:59 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I had one of those, it was on spot cool, solid, grab on grips, the rear derailleur not great but worked wonderfully. I think I sold it for $175, here is that one.

I actually miss this one, this was my last 26er that fit the 66. The $150 may be high in today's market I really haven't checked pricing on that type since this was sold.
Old 12-09-23, 01:23 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,753 Times in 1,841 Posts
With a bit of looking you might be able to find a higher end model for the same dollars or same level bike for half the money. That said, it will make a good rider, parts are solid, if it is ready to ride (and fits!) $150 is reasonable.
Old 12-10-23, 09:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Other than maybe needing a better set of tires it looks to be fine as commuter pretty much as is so the price is OK if everything works good.
Likes For zukahn1: