Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1984 Trek 510 with odd collection of parts

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 09:14 AM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

How in world would you price this one with (what seems to me to be) a nice, but rather odd collection of parts? Thanks for any input.

Old 06-27-19, 01:29 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I'd be parting it out as just some of the parts are worth more than the entire bike. And chances are, the buyer might just do that if you don't. Around here, Typical Trek 510 is about $200, $225 on a good day. Campy brakes, levers, and crankset exceed that mark. Then you have the DA RD and levers. Then the Campy FD and hubs. Is the headset Campy or just the top nut?

I've seen bikes like this several times where someone wanted indexing so they tossed the Campy RD and levers and replaced them with Shimano. But this one was not Campy originally. Still I am thinking someone built it up with Campy way back when and then jumped on the Shimano stuff to get indexing.

Maybe you can pull $350 for it from someone that appreciates the better parts.

I've picked up a few similar bikes lately (all or mostly all Campy) for under the first estimate.

Now if you have a nice selection of parts, I'd be tempted to rebuild it with a Cyclone G2 mix or similar, sell for the 510 price above, and then sell the nice bits separately. Frame doesn't really merit those parts.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-27-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 01:48 PM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
This is very helpful. Thank you so much.
Old 01-22-24, 07:20 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
This bike originally had yellow handlebar tape, unknown saddle (mine did not have a saddle), and full campy triomphe group (including seatpost) with matrix titan rims. This was likely a transition version of the bike with the 1984 frameset and the 1985 parts group (like mine). The wheels and crankset and headset are probably worth $300+, not to mention the brakes, but the entire bike usually sells in the $250-$400 range. Someone has replaced the rear derailleur. I got this bike used in NOS condition in 2010 and gave it to my niece. I've got it back now, to replace stolen wheels & crankset.

https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/...5TrekSport.pdf <== this, with a blue/red frameset (not black)

Originally Posted by wrk101
I'd be parting it out as just some of the parts are worth more than the entire bike. And chances are, the buyer might just do that if you don't. Around here, Typical Trek 510 is about $200, $225 on a good day. Campy brakes, levers, and crankset exceed that mark. Then you have the DA RD and levers. Then the Campy FD and hubs. Is the headset Campy or just the top nut?

I've seen bikes like this several times where someone wanted indexing so they tossed the Campy RD and levers and replaced them with Shimano. But this one was not Campy originally. Still I am thinking someone built it up with Campy way back when and then jumped on the Shimano stuff to get indexing.

Maybe you can pull $350 for it from someone that appreciates the better parts.

I've picked up a few similar bikes lately (all or mostly all Campy) for under the first estimate.

Now if you have a nice selection of parts, I'd be tempted to rebuild it with a Cyclone G2 mix or similar, sell for the 510 price above, and then sell the nice bits separately. Frame doesn't really merit those parts.

Last edited by systemBuilder; 01-22-24 at 07:26 PM.