Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Chris Froome - 100g/hr carbohydrate

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Chris Froome - 100g/hr carbohydrate

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 03:03 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm not disputing your experience, but one point from the Hammer Nutrition article that I posted is that the liver only makes glycogen so fast, and therefore beyond a certain carb intake, there is an excess that isn't available to your muscles. The article asserts that this is 240 calories (60 grams carbs)/hour. Presumably there would also be some factor for total body mass, though.

My point, is that it's not simply a matter of training your gut, it also requires training your liver. PeteHski says that the liver is trainable in this way, but I defer to him on the research that backs that up.
If you look a little further, you'll find that there have been several studies in the past several years that indicate the ability to use amounts greater than that. I've read as much as 120-140g/hr. And while I'm not an advocate of "do what the pros do" as a training mantra, one does certainly note that 100g/hr has become a defacto standard, and that many teams and athletes don't change their fueling because they have a sweet tooth.

At any rate, we all do what works for us, but science marches forward, and if there ever was a subject suitable for more research, it's nutrition generally and sports nutrition specifically.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-12-23, 04:39 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
If you look a little further, you'll find that there have been several studies in the past several years that indicate the ability to use amounts greater than that. I've read as much as 120-140g/hr. And while I'm not an advocate of "do what the pros do" as a training mantra, one does certainly note that 100g/hr has become a defacto standard, and that many teams and athletes don't change their fueling because they have a sweet tooth.

At any rate, we all do what works for us, but science marches forward, and if there ever was a subject suitable for more research, it's nutrition generally and sports nutrition specifically.
I have read the same things. I don’t have links to any specific research, but I do know that competitive athletes are taking on well in excess of 100g/hr regardless of what their liver can or cannot actually process.
Old 10-12-23, 04:51 PM
PeteHski

My point, is that it's not simply a matter of training your gut, it also requires training your liver. PeteHski says that the liver is trainable in this way, but I defer to him on the research that backs that up.
Just to clarify, I didn’t say that the liver is trainable (I have no clue about that). I said that your carb intake level is trainable ie the amount you can consume without gut distress.
Old 10-12-23, 08:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Just to clarify, I didn’t say that the liver is trainable (I have no clue about that). I said that your carb intake level is trainable ie the amount you can consume without gut distress.
I misunderstood.
Old 10-13-23, 06:41 AM
PeteHski

I misunderstood.
No worries, I can see how you could read into it that way. All I know is that top pro athletes are chugging down a lot more carbs than they traditionally did and it won't be just for fun! The podcast interview Geraint Thomas did with Mark Cavendish after the tour was interesting because he asked him what he thought was the biggest change in training during his career and his answer was more gut tolerable carbs. GT agreed with him.
Old 10-13-23, 02:28 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have read the same things. I don’t have links to any specific research, but I do know that competitive athletes are taking on well in excess of 100g/hr regardless of what their liver can or cannot actually process.
A quick google will take you to a number of studies. It takes a little digging to find the actual studies, rather than the various product websites, but the studies are there. You'll quickly get into the weeds of what specific forms of carbs (i.e., fructose vs maltodextrine, vs glucose, and at what rations) are usable at what rate. I got as far as finding a ratio that works for me and is affordable, and I can dial in the number of carbs per hour relative to the workouts/races I'm doing.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton