Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Allegro (1948-1954?) serial: [137350]

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 12:53 AM
almanfi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allegro (1948-1954?) serial: [137350]

Hi all!

First of all this is my first introduction post. Hello.

Now I am looking for help to understand the value of this bike in today's market.
It is a swiss Allegro bicycle with a bit of a history i know. But is there still any interest nowadays to restore these types in today's generation?

My father got this bike from a friend. After i made a little bit of research on this forum i got that based on the serial number [137350] this bike is from between (1948 - 1954) (Please correct me if i am wrong.)
By the looks of it someone might have started a restoration on it with a sandpaper and changed its mind an hour later.
Apart of that based of it's age it is in a fairly good condition with mostly original parts but i am no expert and don't know what were the original parts for this bike 75 years ago so let the pictures talk:

imgur.com/a/Be5KCVr

(Sorry i dont have 10 posts yet for proper link... i tried but i am no bike expert like you guys and cannot add useful info to any threads)

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-16-23, 02:52 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Old 08-16-23, 06:37 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
This earlier discussion might help to get the ball rolling.

A while back I put together this Google Sheet with the Allegro data I could find online. The dates are approximate, but they do appear to show sequential serial numbers and the evolution of Allegro's bikes.

This is a VERY nice old city bike. The details just ooze quality and a blend of reliability, durability, and a bit of sportiness still. If those are aluminum alloy rims on the wheels, then you basically have the ultimate city bike. This just may be THE coolest 3-speed commuting/daily use bike I've ever seen.

The rear Sturmey-Archer gearhub is dated April 1954, so if it's the original rear wheel, there's your date.

The chainring as seen from the left inside the chaincase is just lovely. Is that an aluminum chaincase? I haven't seen a full chaincase in aluminum before, but it makes sense. The Lucifer dynamo lighting system was highly regarded - I remember reading the late Fred DeLong nearly 50 years ago when he commented on how well they worked. The cranks look like very high quality steel cottered cranks, perhaps on the same level as contemporary Stronglights or similar. The front hub looks like a quality unit. I had not ever seen Weinmann 890 sidepulls, but I am not at all surprised they made them in this length. The lugs look nice, and the fork crown is a nice one even with the separate chromed cap. Being an Allegro, the tubing is probably metric sized, and I suspect the seat post diameter would be somewhere around 26 mm. I would think this one is made from a stronger, lighter steel than the average 3-speed gaspipe.

At the risk of offending the Raleigh purists, this bike is what the Raleigh Superbe wishes it could have been.

If this was my bike, and it fit me, I would at the very least loving disassemble it, service and clean everything and reassemble and ride. If I liked it enough after riding it, I would once again disassemble it, have it professionally painted, fit Allegro decals from Cyclomondo and build it back up and know it was ready for its next 70 years.

Market value? Hard to say - this is a niche bike in some ways, built to be a utility bike. A very nicely detailed, high-quality utility bike, but a utility bike. It probably won't have the same desirability as a high end racing or cycle-touring machine of the same era, so the money might not be that much. I suspect its value as a good quality bike to ride with some cool history will be far greater than it would bring on the market.
Old 08-16-23, 06:39 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Saddle, tires, pedals and grips are replacements. Everything else looks to be original. Every original part I see on this bike is very good quality.
Old 08-16-23, 07:06 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

thanks for sharing this wonderful example

the non-drive side fork blade expresses a bit of a recurve near the fork end

this may be the result of having been bent and incompletely straightened

might be good to get it looked at...

-----
Old 08-16-23, 07:44 AM
almanfi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Saddle, tires, pedals and grips are replacements. Everything else looks to be original. Every original part I see on this bike is very good quality.
Thank you for your amazing answer rustystrings61 !

I could not have dreamed of a more passionate and love filled appraisal.

This makes me believe there might be a chance for interest and revival of this bike.
Although to such a person with this much love like you i would consider to give it away as a gift ... but sadly
it is not mine and i would have to make sure it goes for something at least.
Also shipping to the states probably costs more than what this bike is worth at the moment.

The chaincase is aluminium and im pretty sure about that but in case i remember wrong i will come back to edit this post in the future.

I understand it is a utility bike and I dont have any illusions about it's value.

That being said it has some cool feeling to it and i can agree with the last sentence. Thank you.
Old 08-16-23, 07:57 AM
almanfi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks for sharing this wonderful example

the non-drive side fork blade expresses a bit of a recurve near the fork end

this may be the result of having been bent and incompletely straightened

might be good to get it looked at...

-----
You're welcome!
Interesting.
Can it be just a perspective thing?
I do not remember any obvious curve at it but i have 0.0001% of your experience so i would have to go and check it to be sure.
On the pictures i am not sure to see anything at all.
Thank you for your remark.

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-16-23 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-16-23, 08:27 AM
juvela

-----

in this image from the gallery a marking is visible on the raised hex of the adjustable bottom bracket cup

a "35" can clearly be seen to indicate that the thread of the bottom bracket cup is metric

to the left of this there is a squarish symbol which am unable to make out

suspect it may be a helpful clue as to the maker for the cycle's chainset

perhaps you will be able to read it...

​​​​​​

-----
Old 08-16-23, 09:27 AM
rustystrings61 

juvela , do those look to you like Ekla lugs and fork crown? Maybe BB shell?
Old 08-16-23, 10:12 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
juvela , do those look to you like Ekla lugs and fork crown? Maybe BB shell?

-----

have been puzzling over them

not shown in any of the materials have here

bicycle sufficiently early that they could be a pattern from a familiar maker which was discontinued prior to any of the materials have on hand

nozzle cut somewhat resembles the NERVEX Nr. 157 (not a match)

note that a "63" marking can be seen on the lower head lug
marking of angles is something done by BOCAMA but certainly not unique to them

other possibilities might include Malaguti or Oscar Egg...

lugs and shell appear to be part of a set/ensemble

note the distinctive protrusion on the underside of the shell with provision for fitment of chainguard and/or spring-loaded chain tensioning arm

appears crank arms may not be a match
in image above a clear diamond shape can be seen just below the spindle hole
in image below the drive side arm appears to have letters in the same location

chainguard in above image looks like it might be a Mazzuchelli product

in image below we can see that bracket employed for dynamo mount is a repurposed chain stay gear mech mount one; possible it may be NERVEX Ref. 831 -

below is an image showing the recurve in the bicycle's left fork blade -

spokes employed to build wheel look to be Stella (Italy) , one or two appear to be replacements from other makers

headset appears almost certain to be an EDCO product

would expect a saddle pillar size for the cycle of 26.2mm

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-16-23 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-16-23, 11:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I don't have a lot to add to your project here beyond - cool! Now, commenting on threads when you don't have a ton of knowledge? Long timers here have been doing that forever! (I do not claim innocence.)

My buddys' (yes that apostrophy in the right place - they were twins) dad bought a spanking new Allegro circa 1965. Most gorgeous bike I have ever seen Beautiful aqua/turquoise lacquer over highly polished chrome fading into the chrome on the forks and stays. Probably had contrasting and pinstriped Nervex lugs but I was only 11. Don't hold me to any of that sentence. But that paint over the chrome and the overall perfection is etched in my mind.
Old 08-16-23, 01:25 PM
rustystrings61 

-----

Note the distinctive protrusion on the underside of the shell with provision for fitment of chainguard and/or spring-loaded chain tensioning arm

-----
Good eye! Seeing that makes me thing Oscar Egg, as didn't he have some involvement with Super Champion and their tension arm derailleur? Maybe using up old BB shells?

----- in image below we can see that bracket employed for dynamo mount is a repurposed chain stay gear mech mount one; possible it may be NERVEX Ref. 831 -

-----
It seems to me I have seen the same bracket on later Allegro city bikes. Maybe they got a bunch of them cheap!
Old 08-16-23, 03:42 PM
juvela

-----

...reckon thar be a good story as to how a CH steed made its way to Pannonia...

...a wee dram o' slivovitz and then the tale commenceth...

-----
Old 08-17-23, 12:21 AM
almanfi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-----

...reckon thar be a good story as to how a CH steed made its way to Pannonia...

...a wee dram o' slivovitz and then the tale commenceth...

-----
I can see the recurve part now yes, thanks for pointing out.
I have to say it feels like you guys seem to have knowledge that would place you among those that worked in these factories where these bikes were assembled originally. LOL

I will check the number you asked. Not sure when though.