Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training plan for group rides

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 07:59 AM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

I'm close to 4 months back into cycling after a 15 yr hiatius. So far, I've dropped 14 lbs and dropped my resting HR by 10 BPM, so it's going in the right direction. Back in the day, I used to race, and I love the dynamics of riding in a group, be it racing or just a friendly, spirited Sunday out with the guys. I'm not racing anymore, but I'm doing 3 quick group rides a week. I'm getting stronger, not getting dropped as much on the climbs anymore, etc.

So my question is this; I wouldn't mind extending my riding to 4 or 5 days a week, but I know I'm way too tired the next day to try to do another group ride, so I need a day or two inbetween. I've been reading about zone 2 training and I bought a zwift trainer in anticipation of the coming winter. Would I be better off doing some low intensity zone 2 workouts between the group rides or just using the time just to recover? I'm in my late 50's, so I want to make sure I'm not in danger of injuring myself. Any tips would be most appreciated.
Old 10-03-23, 07:48 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
I've just begun a somewhat structured workout plan. I am not expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I have found that extended Zone 2 rides and Interval training really seem to compliment each other. I'm not sure if doing the Zone 2 work a day before or after a hard day is best, but as I said... I'm finding that these 2 types or workouts REALLY work for me.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-03-23, 01:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Low intensity is okay. Ride that trainer as much as you like at that Zone 2 HR. I don't have a smart trainer, zwift or anything else, but I find that watching Cyclocross or other cycling events while I'm on the trainer or stationary bike make me forget the monotony I'm enduring.

High intensity is okay too if you get to the point you are better than the rest of the group and can make the long group ride your recovery ride.
Old 10-03-23, 10:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
After a hard group Sunday ride, I like to hike or take a long walk the next day, then a day off, then do zone 2 rides the rest of the week, but probably substitute one interval day, probably Thursday, for zone 2. But you're doing 3 group rides a week. I'd say only do 30' zone 1 recovery rides on the other days. I've also done group rides on both Saturday and Sunday. On those weekends, the Saturday ride will be moderate and the Sunday ride full gas.

In general, you can go by your morning resting heart rate or your heart rate on the first climb of the ride to see if you're overdoing it. If your HR always comes up just as quickly every ride, you're golden. You can try doing more work on the other days until you see that it doesn't. Then back off for a week.
Old 10-04-23, 07:30 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
So far, I've dropped 14 lbs and dropped my resting HR by 10 BPM
Excellent!!! Sounds like your group rides are fun but pretty tough, so I'd adapt around those. Zwift is great for the HIIT, but not so fun for the long Z2 rides.

My training plan is pretty standard polarized training, about 12 hours/week; 1 x 3-4 hour ride all Z2, 3 x HIIT workouts typically an hour including warm-up and warm-down, 1 x 3-4 hour ride at Z2 with 3 x 20 minute pulls at upper Z3 (the hardest day for me). Two 30-40 minute floor exercise/weights on rest or light days.
Monthly; 3 weeks of the above (hard) then 1 week of lighter work/recovery.

If my legs aren't feeling good, I take days off until they do.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 10-04-23 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 08:33 AM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.