Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Share a brief story about random celebrities you have met while out riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 06:45 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Yesterday, while waiting for a group at Grand Army Plaza in Prospect Park, Sen. Charles Schumer and Bill Thompson were walking around, talking to people, and campaigning. Sen. Schumer said that he is "not fast enough to wear lycra."

Later, in the same day, while up in Nyack, at Runcible Spoon, Evelyn Stevens was hanging around there, dressed in her Team Columbia-HTC kit and team bike. She did not drop me (because we didn't ride together). It was a bit wet yesterday but her kit was impeccably white and clean. Maybe when you ride that fast, dirt doesn't stick.

About a month ago, at Strictly Bikes, on the NJ side of the George Washington Bridge, rapper Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest stopped by to buy a bike (my speculation: Pinarello Dogma with Di2?). I did not recognize him until my friend pointed it out. That, and random cyclists clad in their cycling kits started taking pictures with him.

Back in April 2009, while riding in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, I saw a race going on and a guy on a Cervelo S2. It's probably not approved to chat with people racing but needless to say, it was the one and only Pcad. That moment was better than the time I dropped Lance Armstrong while dialing it up to 400 watts. Ok, I made that last part up, the part about dialing it up to 400 watts.

Last edited by kimconyc; 11-01-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 06:50 PM
velocanuck
Older, but not 'senior'

Bikes: Marinoni Trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
Yesterday, while waiting for a group at Grand Army Plaza in Prospect Park, Sen. Charles Schumer and Bill Thompson were walking around, talking to people, and campaigning. Sen. Schumer said that he is "not fast enough to wear lycra."

Later, in the same day, while up in Nyack, at Runcible Spoon, Evelyn Stevens was hanging around there, dressed in her Team Columbia-HTC kit and team bike. She did not drop me (because we didn't ride together).

About a month ago, at Strictly Bikes, on the NJ side of the George Washington Bridge, rapper Q-Tip of A Tribe Called Quest, stopped by to buy a bike (my speculation: Pinarello Dogma with Di2?). I did not recognize him until my friend pointed it out. That, and random cyclists clad in their cycling kits started taking pictures with him.

Back in April 2009, while riding in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, I saw a race going on and a guy on a Cervelo S2. It's probably not approved to chat with people racing but needless to say, it was the one and only Pcad. That moment was better than the time I dropped Lance Armstrong while dialing it up to 400 watts. Ok, I made that last part up, the part about dialing it up to 400 watts.
Pcad is the only 'celebrity' metioned in your post that I've ever even heard of...but your list is more than I have ever seen...I've never even seen Pcad on a ride...not 100% sure he even exists...
Old 11-01-09, 07:02 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The year was '91, nineteen ninty that is; I spotted Danny Aiello in the parking lot of a diner with a container of coffee. One of my very few brushes with celebrity in any capacity. It WAS him, common knowlege he was a local, I verified it with the lady at the diner sometime later.
Old 11-01-09, 07:04 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by velocanuck
Pcad is the only 'celebrity' metioned in your post that I've ever even heard of...but your list is more than I have ever seen...I've never even seen Pcad on a ride...not 100% sure he even exists...
OH he's out there.
Old 11-01-09, 07:12 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Originally Posted by velocanuck
It's crazy that Pcad is more recognizable (even just by name) than some of the people I mentioned but this is BF after all and you are from Canada so I guess it's justifiable.
Old 11-01-09, 07:12 PM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" Sen. Schumer said that he is "not fast enough to wear lycra."

You think ol Chucky is funny ?

Last edited by Barese Rider; 11-01-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 07:30 PM
velocanuck
Older, but not 'senior'

Bikes: Marinoni Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's crazy that Pcad is more recognizable (even just by name) than some of the people I mentioned but this is BF after all and you are from Canada so I guess it's justifiable.
yeah, we don't really follow who is Senator of what State much...I bet there are a lot of Americans West of NY state that don't know who Sen. Charles Schumer is though...not just us Northerners...
Old 11-01-09, 07:56 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I rode my bike to a 1992 Clinton rally four days before the election. River Phoenix was there with his band. I don't think that this counts, though.
Old 11-01-09, 08:01 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
After I first moved up to Orange County (1997) I'm on the local MUP, and I wind up riding next to these two guys on MTBs and chatting. Turned out one of them was the actor Armand Assante and he was out for a spin with his personal trainer, part pavement, part off road, he has a property about 15 or 20 miles from where I rode with him. I didn't even realize it was him until they told me, he had some get up on that made him impossible to recognize. He wasn't particularly congenial, but then, neither was I.

Old 11-01-09, 08:03 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The odd thing is I've had team mates tell me the BF Stalkers come up to them at races and ask them if they are Pcad.
Old 11-01-09, 08:05 PM
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't usually see celebrities along the muddy banks of the brandywine river...or on the paved trail!

actually, VP Biden lives in hollerin' distance from there
Old 11-01-09, 08:14 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been in a race with "Zach" from "Saved by the Bell", does that count?
Old 11-01-09, 08:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I was on a Bike To Work Day ride with Cruz Bustamante, the Lt. Gov. of California at the time. For Sacramento, that qualifies as a celebrity. Just barely though.
Old 11-01-09, 08:29 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I rode down Bill Gates' street the other day. My bike computer crashed and I had to stop and reboot.
Old 11-01-09, 09:01 PM
MSC_Mav
Mesa State Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
various denver broncos players because i ride by their training camp all the time. dont really care because im a dolphins fan but...there ya go.
Old 11-01-09, 09:08 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Barese Rider
" Sen. Schumer said that he is "not fast enough to wear lycra."

You think ol Chucky is funny ?
No, but in context, the situation was funny. Here's a bunch of roadies looking all serious in their kits and then he comes up like he's one of the gang. It's basically like he said, "hey, you guys looks like a bunch of dorks (and we do to non cyclists and probably look like dorks to cyclists as well) but vote for me anyway".

I was amused, at least.

Originally Posted by umd
I've been in a race with "Zach" from "Saved by the Bell", does that count?
Yes! I hope you dropped him big time. That is the war story right there, dropping Zach from SBTB!
Old 11-01-09, 09:12 PM
kostyap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I rode down Bill Gates' street the other day. My bike computer crashed and I had to stop and reboot.
The best
Old 11-01-09, 09:24 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
And then you found out it wasn't compatible with your model bike and you needed to spend extra dollars on the latest version.
Old 11-01-09, 09:38 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes! I hope you dropped him big time. That is the war story right there, dropping Zach from SBTB!
Nah, he's cat 1. He'd drop most everyone here
Old 11-01-09, 11:14 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I pedaled a couple weeks ago with my local city counselman. But I can't even remember his name.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-01-09, 11:22 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Jay Lenno drove by in one of his classic cars.
I didn't wave.
Old 11-01-09, 11:29 PM
mugatu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saw Big Black from Rob and Big https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Boykin
while riding downtown

stopped and talked to him for a few minutes, he was chilling outside the W for some big thing to do with his clothing line
Old 11-01-09, 11:33 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden with Sean Kelly and Andy Hampsten, although they were organized group rides.
Old 11-01-09, 11:39 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contrived

α
Old 11-01-09, 11:50 PM
Neccros
Technically Canadian

Bikes: Spec. Enduro/Santa Cruz Chameleon/Franken Road Bike w/ Dura-Ace+Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is the roadie section, I did a group mountain ride with Tim from Rage Against The Machine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.