Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 02:44 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Non-stryofoam helmet. Just adding to the conversation.
My $50 Specialized Align II received better performance test results in the Virginia Tech Ratings. Bontrager's own Rally MiPs helmet outperformed all of their WaveCell helmets. Also, some WaveCel helmets also have portions lined with EPS. It is great that people are trying to improve cycling technology. MiPs is one such attempt. And WaveCel may have some advantages that the Virgina Tech testing doesn't reveal. So the marketing video from Bontrager seems to me to be utter BS likening an EPS helmet to 30 year old steel bike frame technology and their new WaveCel technology to a modern carbon fiber bike - that is "better in every way." But unlike the modern bike, the advantages are not clear at all. They appear to be marginal to non-existent if Virginia Tech's helmet testing protocol is to be believed.
Old 01-01-24, 05:03 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Thought you all might find this interesting.
Mr. Petersen has made a cycle industry career out of 'everybody else is wrong and I'm right'. He's built a small following over the last 30+ years.
Old 01-01-24, 05:20 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
It is great that people are trying to improve cycling technology. MiPs is one such attempt.
In addition to MiPS and WaveCell, 6D has a proprietary slip plane design between two crush layers. Leatt and Kali also have helmets with liner "doughnuts" designed to permit head motion on impact. POC has their SPIN system, LEM uses something called "GelMotion" impact pads. Laser has a design called KinetiCore. Custom helmet producer HEXR has 3D printed honeycomb interior that reduces rotational energy. Louis Garneau has a design called ROTEXX with a fluid layer. There are others, like Smith Optics' Koroyd liner.

BTW, I've seen posters (not Jay) insinuate that MIPS itself was a safety certification or its presence was some sort of guarantor, when in fact it's just a proprietary, licensable slip plane design. The Triple 8 Dual Certified MIPS helmet is rated just three stars in the Virginia Tech tests, currently the #185th place tested helmet!

Some smart, sincere folks at ASTM, Snell, CPSC, Consumer Reports and Virginia Tech have designed tests they say mimic cycle crashes. All five test protocols differ in various aspects. There are disputes over whether the EN960 headform or the Hybrid III headform more accurately mimics the human head in testing.

Last edited by tcs; 01-02-24 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 01-01-24, 05:53 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Non-stryofoam helmet. Just adding to the conversation.
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten the Trek advertising campaign for their WaveCel helmets: "Cycling Has Changed Forever!" or whatever their slogan was.

FWIW, Virginia Tech recently rated Trek's Specter WaveCel helmet #38 overall. (Among all styles of helmets, that is, including road, MTB, commuter, etc.)
Old 01-01-24, 06:30 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten the Trek advertising campaign for their WaveCel helmets: "Cycling Has Changed Forever!" or whatever their slogan was.

FWIW, Virginia Tech recently rated Trek's Specter WaveCel helmet #38 overall. (Among all styles of helmets, that is, including road, MTB, commuter, etc.)
Anybody know what happened to the $5 million class action lawsuit alleging deceptive claims about the effectiveness of WaveCel? I'm guessing they settled out of court since I can't find the outcome online and their current advertising verbiage seems less definite in their claims.
Old 01-02-24, 07:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Good points.

Here's a question; everyone's all about rotational forces, but what proportion of your average head impact is rotational versus straight smack?

I understand his point. I just disagree with much of it. Something squishier and of a similar thickness won't slow the head/brain (absorb very much energy) much before it stops it. He also thinks using eggs is a proper test - somehow missing the major point that the mass of an egg is so much less than that of a human head. Whether an egg shell cracks or not isn't a particularly good model for evaluating head protection. Nor is pressing your thumb against some Styrofoam. His arguments against EPS are weak. He seems to misunderstand the issues around absorbing energy which is the key role that EPS plays.

The design problem for bicycle helmets is hard. How do you add useful protection in a lightweight design? Well, the fact is that you can't do it very well. There are some basic physics issues involved that are very hard if not impossible to get around. Automobiles manage the forces by having large crush zones and spreading impacts over larger areas of the body. (They also use EPS in their bumpers and other places for energy absorption). A large crush zone on a helmet would be unwieldy. Who would use it? And it is no wonder that football helmets don't use EPS. The helmet needs to withstand repeated impacts. EPS is useful one time. But motorcycle helmets use EPS as the primary material for impact energy absorption. He's simply wrong to assert otherwise. He also seems to think that rock climbing helmets don't use EPS, but they often do. Likewise, EPS is commonly used in horse riding helmets. I could go on.
Old 01-02-24, 08:27 PM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by Korina
Good points.

Here's a question; everyone's all about rotational forces, but what proportion of your average head impact is rotational versus straight smack?
As I understand it, the concern is that a glancing impact is likely to impart rotational accelerations to the head as the helmet "sticks" to a rough surface like asphalt.. Given the complex nature of just about any head impact, I'd assume few are a "straight smack". So your question is probably more like, "How often is the MiPS system going to be presented with harmful amounts of possible rotational acceleration (glancing strikes) that MiPS needs to render harmless?" I don't know the answer, but here's the paper describing the Virgina Tech testing methods and there is some discussion about rotation in it. https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/items/...7-a4eef66ad1fa

There are references in this article that may help answer the question. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-11559-0
But frankly, I don't see how MiPS is likely to be harmful. I can get it in a highly rated and inexpensive helmet. So I'm not highly motivated to dig further. If you do dig in, I'd be curious to know what you found though.
Old 01-02-24, 10:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Just an observation re: how often we "smack straight". What's the most common bone break in cycling? Collarbones. When we hit straight on, we don't even contact our shoulders. But we often have head injuries in addition to our broken collarbones. That head/helmet contact is quite typically a head spinner. BTDT.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-03-24, 03:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Actually my question was more like, does MIPS protect at all from impact? Stated like that, it's a dumb question. Sorry, I have zero interest in the techy stuff.

I wear my helmet with the assumption that it may not protect me much from concussion, but it might mitigate skull fractures. Unless I'm hit by anything big, in which case it doesn't matter.

As I understand it, the concern is that a glancing impact is likely to impart rotational accelerations to the head as the helmet "sticks" to a rough surface like asphalt.. Given the complex nature of just about any head impact, I'd assume few are a "straight smack". So your question is probably more like, "How often is the MiPS system going to be presented with harmful amounts of possible rotational acceleration (glancing strikes) that MiPS needs to render harmless?" I don't know the answer, but here's the paper describing the Virgina Tech testing methods and there is some discussion about rotation in it. https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/items/...7-a4eef66ad1fa

There are references in this article that may help answer the question. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-11559-0
But frankly, I don't see how MiPS is likely to be harmful. I can get it in a highly rated and inexpensive helmet. So I'm not highly motivated to dig further. If you do dig in, I'd be curious to know what you found though.
Old 01-24-24, 02:59 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 67 Posts
My comments from another place on the forum got moved here and I removed them.
EddyR

Last edited by EddyR; 01-24-24 at 09:48 PM.
Likes For EddyR:
Old 01-24-24, 03:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
Many on here will not like This.
Correct. Keep your helmet jibber jabber where it belongs, in A&S.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-24-24, 06:08 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Correct. Keep your helmet jibber jabber where it belongs, in A&S.
I must be missing something...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-24-24, 06:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Moved some posts here from 50+
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-14-24, 06:13 PM
Cscottdavis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helmets for commuting

Thinking about my next helmet.

What helmet do you use for commutes or errands?

What features made you pick this helmet?

What modifications have you made to your helmet for comfort, convenience or safety?

What features / mods have you found to be especially or surprisingly helpful?

What features / mods have you found to be kind of meh or ultimately unproductive?

Know other threads are similar but new materials, new technology such as smart helmets, and creative use of magnets in recent years may mean there are some new or new-ish ideas out there that I certainly would find interesting.

Thanks in advance fo anyone that takes the time to respond.
Old 02-15-24, 08:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I like to buy an inexpensive white helmet with good ventilation. I clip a 180-degree red blinkie to the rear, a modest headlight to the top to blink during the day and be a solid supplemental light at night. I also mount a small action cam to capture my rides for review, to share, and in case evidence is needed after a collision.

I have been clipping the rear light to the elastic band that no longer seems to be used in newer designs. I'm sure I could fashion a mount for any future helmet if need be. I thought about spending the extra money for a helmet with integrated lights, but I don't think the front lights are as bright as what I can attach myself.

I ride year-round down to 5F and it's usually in the teens on winter mornings. Even at those temperatures I prefer lots of helmet ventilation. I wear a thin balaclava, and from 5-12F I may put up the hood of my light wind-breaker shell for an additional layer. But my head gets really hot, and a sweaty head gets and stays colder than a dry one.
Old 02-16-24, 10:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I like to buy an inexpensive white helmet with good ventilation. I clip a 180-degree red blinkie to the rear, a modest headlight to the top to blink during the day and be a solid supplemental light at night. I also mount a small action cam to capture my rides for review, to share, and in case evidence is needed after a collision.

I have been clipping the rear light to the elastic band that no longer seems to be used in newer designs. I'm sure I could fashion a mount for any future helmet if need be. I thought about spending the extra money for a helmet with integrated lights, but I don't think the front lights are as bright as what I can attach myself.

I ride year-round down to 5F and it's usually in the teens on winter mornings. Even at those temperatures I prefer lots of helmet ventilation. I wear a thin balaclava, and from 5-12F I may put up the hood of my light wind-breaker shell for an additional layer. But my head gets really hot, and a sweaty head gets and stays colder than a dry one.
That's the very reason I steer clear of helmets with built-in lights. They're never what you really want for brightness. I've always managed to find a way to mount my own head and tail light along with mirror and camera. Of course, for night rides I leave the camera off.
Old 03-30-24, 06:27 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
(helmet) Giro Agilis MIPS or Bontrager circuit wavecel

Considering they both fit well, what would you rather get ? My only worry about the Bontrager is they material may make me feel more hot during warm weather riding
Old 04-02-24, 03:09 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Need a Helmet Recommendation Non Mushroom Please

I'd like a good looking helmet that is firm fitting and doesn't look goofy. Obviously light and good ventilation would be great. Is $150 or less possible? MIPS would be preferable I guess. I got a Giro Aegilis but quite frankly, it doesn't feel much lighter or look much diff than my 2011 specialized helmet. So I'm sending it back. I feel like I really should get a new helmet to replace the 13 year old one that I got used.

So any suggestions?

Last edited by RoadWearier; 04-02-24 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-02-24, 03:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
My head loves the Lazer helmets. I have a Z1 that is going to be replaced soon (though it has been replaced but with a temporary helmet till I can get a new one)

I did have a Giro Synthe back in the day but I got a size M and should have gotten the L but they day I tried it on and the subsequent days the M fit fine but I realized I was going to want stuff for winter and that was just a little bit too small.

You needed to replace that old helmet 13 years ago. Please don't buy used helmets you have no idea what happened in that helmet and may never know and the seller probably won't give you the truth or the full truth. They could have crashed or could be a heavy sweater or both or it was stored poorly so many different factors and reasons to never buy a used helmet. It is safety equipment and beyond some really expensive testing that isn't worth it you will never know what happened and if you need to use your helmet and it was previously compromised it could be a bad day. Luckily it sounds like you haven't needed to use it at all and was just a fun head decoration which is what we all hope for in our helmets. Crashing sucks.
Old 04-02-24, 03:46 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My head loves the Lazer helmets. I have a Z1 that is going to be replaced soon (though it has been replaced but with a temporary helmet till I can get a new one)

I did have a Giro Synthe back in the day but I got a size M and should have gotten the L but they day I tried it on and the subsequent days the M fit fine but I realized I was going to want stuff for winter and that was just a little bit too small.

You needed to replace that old helmet 13 years ago. Please don't buy used helmets you have no idea what happened in that helmet and may never know and the seller probably won't give you the truth or the full truth. They could have crashed or could be a heavy sweater or both or it was stored poorly so many different factors and reasons to never buy a used helmet. It is safety equipment and beyond some really expensive testing that isn't worth it you will never know what happened and if you need to use your helmet and it was previously compromised it could be a bad day. Luckily it sounds like you haven't needed to use it at all and was just a fun head decoration which is what we all hope for in our helmets. Crashing sucks.
I agree. I am yoo old to be that reckless.

I just ordered the Giro Syntax and Giro Aether so I'll have three to compare. I'll order a Lazer on your recommendation. What is it about Lazer that you like so much? The fit? Weight? Ventilation?

Which Lazer Z1?

Last edited by RoadWearier; 04-02-24 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-02-24, 03:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I never worried about how I looked while wearing a cycling helmet. If I did, my original Bell Biker would never have made the cut. It was so large that I didn't have to worry about sunscreen for my face and as a bonus, it was useful whenever I passed a place that offered all you can eat salad bars
Have been wearing a cycling helmet since my son was born in 1976
Old 04-02-24, 03:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Don't just order helmets try them on and then buy them in the store.

In terms of Lazer none of those. I have no idea if actual Lazer or not and I would doubt they are authorized dealers and I would also doubt if the helmet was new undamaged. Given what you describe they could easily send someone a helmet they crash it and put it back in the box a week later and the Billionaires take it right back and re-sell it with no fox given.

Buy a helmet from an authorized retailer because if you do crash they have a Crash Replacement Program.

This is the new version of the helmet:
https://lazersport.us/products/z1kineticore
I have an older version. It was very very lightweight and comfortable and felt well ventilated. It was an easy helmet to wear and well worth the amount it cost even though it is high (though it looks like it came down slightly) There were plenty of times I had to put my hand on my helmet to verify I was wearing it because I just forgot I had it on it was so comfortable.
Old 04-02-24, 04:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
That's easy nutcase helmets
Old 04-02-24, 04:01 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Man, those brains squished on the road sure look stupid!
Old 04-02-24, 04:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
So not this:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.