Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in colder temps is fun!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 07:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I'm a hot weather person....the hotter the better for me. I play golf in temperatures 100+ and love it. When the temps drop below 60 I'm dressed like an Eskimo around the house.

But when it comes to riding I enjoy riding in colder temperatures. It's refreshing to be out in the cool crisp air. Most of my riding buddies quit riding this time of year. It has taken me a few years to figure out what clothing and accessories work best but I think I now have all the right combinations. When I started this morning it was 30 degrees and was kind of slow to warm up. I was very comfortable all day. I'm definitely slower in colder temps but for me this time of year is all about time in the saddle as opposed to speed. Just trying to work on endurance and fitness.

I do like it better when the sun is shining. It's also better if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Any others?
Old 11-23-14, 04:42 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure I'll ever come to believe that riding in the cold is actually fun, but it beats not riding at all

And there's no question it beats the trainer. The biggest hassle for me is when there's a wide variation of temperatures during the day. Yesterday started at about 25 degrees, and got up to about 50 by the end of the day. That means I typically need to bring face/head gear and gloves for two completely different conditions.

Also I hate that the shorter days and cold mornings limits the distance I can go. It's usually too cold to start before 9:00am, and the afternoon sun angle glare and shadows make riding much past 3:00pm pretty sketchy.

But other than that, yeah, lots of fun
Old 11-23-14, 05:50 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want to have some fun come up here .
Old 11-23-14, 09:21 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Riding in heat, rain, wind, cold, or snow are ALL more fun that not riding. When I come in from an especially challenging ride made so by the weather, I tend to feel that it's a victory of sorts when I don't let the weather conquer me. My wife thinks it's being stubborn; I think it's being tenacious.
Old 11-23-14, 09:55 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm liking the cold-weather riding a lot.

In some strange way it's almost like a different sport (activity, pastime or whatever you want to call it).

Fat biking the winter trails is an entirely different experience, even to riding my MTB. It's not just the temps it's the physical exertion of pedaling that 40lb beast around in the snow - I'm using different parts of the leg muscle, I'm getting a tougher upper-body workout, I feel physically and mentally fatigued after a much shorter time in the saddle. The riding demands are different and it just feels altogether different, in a good way.

The weather/clothing becomes a bigger part of the puzzle. It's much more critical and integral to the to the overall experience and has a much larger bearing on the outcome of the ride.

Hydration becomes more of an issue than riding in warmer weather, which seems counter-intuitive at first. You seem to lose the warning signs for hydrating and for eating, so you need to pay special attention to it along with solving minor issues like having a frozen water bottle!

Oddly enough I've 'bonked' three from the five times I've ridden this week, and I've only ever bonked once before in the whole of the Summer. And I'm only averaging around 18 mile rides, mostly single-track at 6/7 mph, versus 50 mile average rides through the summer. Yesterday I crashed the whole day, slept for two hours in the afternoon and barely moved from the couch. I slept-in 'til almost 9am today and I never sleep past 7am as a rule !! My legs and arms are aching, but it's that 'good ache', if you know what I mean....

I don't know if any of this sounds familiar to other folks, it certainly isn't what I was expecting after a summer of riding 200 mile weeks.

I'm tentatively planning for an overnight camp at one of the State Parks locally, to see how that experience compares with the summer camping I did. Should be a blast!

It's all good.
Old 11-23-14, 02:43 PM
rick458

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 29er Sport Disc Trek Domane 4.0c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont like riding in the "cold" but I do really like riding in the "cool".
I need to get some good gloves, long sleaved jerseys, and a decent windbreaker.
I rode the other night in shorts, shoes, a light rain jacket, and my fingerless gloves.
Frost was forming on the cars, but I was comfortable save for my fingers, which were turning red, and very uncomfortable.
Old 11-23-14, 03:01 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
While I love riding in the heat of summer with its early morning light and long days I also get a great deal of pleasure cycling on bright winter days, where it can seem like an added bonus.

The only problem I have is is cold hands when it gets near freezing - but good double layer gloves are an absolute necessity.
Old 11-23-14, 03:15 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I dislike the winter with a passion, but have done a little cold weather cycling. 20 degrees seems to be the dividing line as far as temperature. Wind is the real wildcard. If I didn't have the day to day obligations, I think I would try a little winter touring just going with the wind each day. Then figure out how I'm going to get back home.
Old 11-23-14, 03:26 PM
cobolman

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Last week I went out for a 20 mile ride when it was 30 degrees. No wind and blue skies. Great riding weather. As long as you have the clothes there should be no problem. A riding hat helps a lot as does warm gloves or better yet lobster claw gloves.
Old 11-24-14, 09:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Riding in heat, rain, wind, cold, or snow are ALL more fun that not riding. When I come in from an especially challenging ride made so by the weather, I tend to feel that it's a victory of sorts when I don't let the weather conquer me. My wife thinks it's being stubborn; I think it's being tenacious.
One day when I was preparing for a snowy ride, my wife chided me, "You just want to ride today so you can write about on Bike Forums."

IMO the above higlighted quote sums it up. I posted to this thread last year:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Why would you bike commute in the winter?

I only have the time and inclination to obtain my excercise on my daily bike commute since it fits so well into my day, and I enjoy cycling. More specifically for winter commuting:
  1. Maintain a base level of fitness over the winter
  2. Meet the challenges of winter cycling, in particular acquiring and/or innovating my winter equipment, and seeing how well it prepares me to take on further challenges
  3. Increase my tolerance for the cold weather
  4. Answer that perennial question, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?.”
An enjoyable experience of winter riding that I find peculiar to the winter, especially in the dark, is what I call “cocooning,” where I hunker down on my bike, aware but oblivious to the external environment. I focus on my experience of visualizing the road ahead and in my immediate vicinity, listening to my ambient sounds, and contemplating my thoughts. The difference with summer riding is that then I am more in the tune to the wider external environment.
Old 11-24-14, 03:05 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I started winter cycling in 07. Never knew it was possible until I discovered BF which led me to studded tires. I'm dissappointed that I wasn't able to do it years ago. Makes for a great winter activity for someone who doesn't have any ski slopes nearby, or any mountain ranges to go traipsing around in. Hitting the MTB trails in winter when its about 20 degrees outside and snow everywhere is like being in another world. I enjoy the stillness and serenity of riding in falling snow at 4:30am when I ride to work.

Last edited by scoatw; 11-24-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 03:24 PM
sludge7

Bikes: Dawes Graduate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been commuting to work since May now, and this morning was my first day riding with frost on the ground. I'm fine about it from a safety perspective, but it seemed to me a much more physically challenging ride than normal, even allowing for the wind, etc. My boss (who also bikes) said that he thinks the frost makes the road "stickier" hence creating more resistance... Any truth to this or is there some other reason or it is all in my head?

Also, anybody have any ideas how I can distribute the warmth from the sweat running down my back to my icy fingertips?
Old 11-24-14, 03:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Any others?
I don't mind riding when the temperature falls, but there is always a limit. For the last 30 years or so my sweetie and I have been x-c skiing most weekends, generally in New Hampshire. We've seen temps as low as -30F, never tried skiing in that though. Have skied in -5F many times, even -10F. You learn how to dress. When you've done that enough, biking at 30F doesn't seem so hard. But you do have to dress for it.
Old 11-24-14, 08:28 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cold temperature can do without!

Under 40 degrees becomes uncomfortable and so is over 95!
For some people with hypothyroidism generally don't like cold even with the correct amount of medication!
Besides: days are shorter, the sun is lower and the trees look sad without their leaves! ; - (
Nothing can replace that nice pleasant warm sunshine!
Old 11-25-14, 06:10 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
You guys can keep that cold weather riding up north. Went out for a bike ride yesterday morning and it was 74º at 7:00 AM. It's in the 70s now but getting ready to rain pretty hard so I'll wait until later in the day for a ride. I'll take my hot and humid, Florida weather any day over snow, sleet and ice.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-25-14, 08:20 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
You guys can keep that cold weather riding up north.
Right now we don't have any. My commute in this morning was in the mid-50's. The air was humid and the roads wet from yesterday's storm. Today I wear my skunk stripe proudly!
Old 11-27-14, 05:00 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I'm a hot weather person....the hotter the better for me. I play golf in temperatures 100+ and love it. When the temps drop below 60 I'm dressed like an Eskimo around the house.

But when it comes to riding I enjoy riding in colder temperatures. It's refreshing to be out in the cool crisp air. Most of my riding buddies quit riding this time of year. It has taken me a few years to figure out what clothing and accessories work best but I think I now have all the right combinations. When I started this morning it was 30 degrees and was kind of slow to warm up. I was very comfortable all day. I'm definitely slower in colder temps but for me this time of year is all about time in the saddle as opposed to speed. Just trying to work on endurance and fitness.

I do like it better when the sun is shining. It's also better if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Any others?
I don't mind the cold weather at all on a still day. Add wind to the cold and that changes everything.
Old 11-27-14, 05:11 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Got out today for a ride in breezy 32ish degrees. Five miles was enough. Prefer gawdawful hot to freezing cold.
Old 11-27-14, 05:29 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a question about the stuff they put on the roads to prevent ice, i think it is called brime. Can it harm a bike and or components? I was out to day and noticed it and just wondered.
Old 11-27-14, 06:01 PM
Whataguy5431

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure FUN is the correct adjective but now that I have all the proper layers and clothing it is more enjoyable. I kind of look forward to the accomplishment. Here in Central Texas, 25-32 is cold, normal winter at 33 to 40 is not a problem, with the right gear. Worst part of riding in < 50 degrees is my times are slower, cadence average is 5-8 less, but ride is pretty enjoyable. Since my time is limited, most of my 5-6 rides a week are 12-18 miles, but I'm always happier that I Went rather than I Didn't. My goal is to still get in 250/month during winter.
Old 11-28-14, 08:28 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Riding in the cold was never a problem for me. Doesn't take long to start making enuf heat to keep warmmmm.

But a couple crashes because of ice, one requiring 17 stitches in my face, changed my mind...... I do cold, but don't do snow and ice any longer...... I just move to the beast in the basement................ till Mar-Apr, once the snow flies.
Old 11-28-14, 08:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Riding in the cold was never a problem for me. Doesn't take long to start making enuf heat to keep warmmmm.

But a couple crashes because of ice, one requiring 17 stitches in my face, changed my mind...... I do cold, but don't do snow and ice any longer...... I just move to the beast in the basement................ till Mar-Apr, once the snow flies.
Just this morning I posted about our Thanksgiving Day Ride with studded tires:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Last evening (Wednesday) there were many reports of slippery ice-covered streets and sidewalks in Norwood. So I looked out at about 7:00 AM on Thursday, and the rain had stopped, the streets were only wet, and the temp was above freezing, so mtalinm and I decided to ride, especially since we both had studded tires…

En route we even looked for patches of ice to test the studs
Old 11-28-14, 09:10 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm about to find out. I planned a day after Thanksgiving ride for the club and it will be about 40F at ride time. Probably a short one with a small group.
Old 11-28-14, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
had a ride in the 30s a couple weeks ago. nice sunny day and I had the right clothing so the ride was most awesome. I guess my ideal range is between 75-30 degrees
Old 11-28-14, 09:44 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've ridden in wintertime (snow and ice) for 60 years without studs. After the second crash in a few weeks, two winters ago, I required a visit to the ER..... Don't need to be out there---- LOL.

I checked into studs, and decided it was just too much hassle because of fenders.

At 69 years old, I decided to just tough it out on the Airdyne during snowy weather........ I can just polish and wax bikes, to get them all ready for spring....

My wife is happier, too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.