Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What is the best Gravel Bike deal with hydro brakes and a compact crankset?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 05:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

A friend of mine wants a lightweight aluminum or carbon gravel bike with Shimano 105 or Tiagra, hydraulic disc brakes, thru-axles and tubeless ready rims for less than $2000.

What's out there?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-01-17, 07:09 AM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Fuji Jari 1.3 hits almost all your requirements for $1600. It is missing true hydraulic discs instead coming with TRP HY/RD.

Fuji Bikes | Jari 1.3
Old 11-01-17, 09:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Performance has the GT Grade at $1,750 with Force 22. It's everything on your list except the rear wheel has a QR, not a TA.
Old 11-01-17, 10:33 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Seems weirdly hard to find lively bikes with all those boxes checked off. Like, Sequoia Elite has all those features, but it's starting to slip in the slacker and beefier adventure/touring direction.

Last edited by HTupolev; 11-01-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 10:43 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
If he'll go for SRAM, Raleigh has the Stuntman at $1299 and the Roker Comp at $1739. Diamondback has the Haanjo Trail with RS685 for $1454.99, Haanjo Comp with Hydro Apex and 1x for $1094.99.

Friends don't let friends ride Tiagra Hydro
Old 11-01-17, 12:01 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
If he'll go for SRAM, Raleigh has the Stuntman at $1299 and the Roker Comp at $1739. Diamondback has the Haanjo Trail with RS685 for $1454.99, Haanjo Comp with Hydro Apex and 1x for $1094.99.

Friends don't let friends ride Tiagra Hydro
in all my years, i've never seen anyone not like SRAM after trying it.
folks like what they are used to, but once they try something else (maybe better), they realize it is ok.

esp. with gravel riding, i appreciate the solid feel and tactile feedback of SRAM over Shimano.
Old 11-01-17, 12:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

@motorthings ^^^

I'll never use SRAM road stuff again after having used Force 22 hydro. The only good thing about my bike being stolen is that I got to go back to using Shimano. I could give you a list of things I hated about using SRAM, but I'd rather not dredge up bad memories.
Old 11-01-17, 12:49 PM
motorthings

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
@motorthings ^^^

I'll never use SRAM road stuff again after having used Force 22 hydro. The only good thing about my bike being stolen is that I got to go back to using Shimano. I could give you a list of things I hated about using SRAM, but I'd rather not dredge up bad memories.
i forgot about you...sorry.
Old 11-01-17, 01:35 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cobra_kai
The Fuji Jari 1.3 hits almost all your requirements for $1600. It is missing true hydraulic discs instead coming with TRP HY/RD.

Fuji Bikes | Jari 1.3
My local Fuji dealer just quoted me $1330.00 for the Jari 1.3. That's a solid deal.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-01-17 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 01:53 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by motorthings
in all my years, i've never seen anyone not like SRAM after trying it.
folks like what they are used to, but once they try something else (maybe better), they realize it is ok.

esp. with gravel riding, i appreciate the solid feel and tactile feedback of SRAM over Shimano.
I ride sram red hydro on my cross bike because they do 1x clutched better than shimano without adapters, but I kinda hate the way they shift, and the hydro on rs685 is superior to red. Not a fan of how big the reservoir brifters are either.
Old 11-01-17, 04:23 PM
motorthings

Originally Posted by redlude97
I ride sram red hydro on my cross bike because they do 1x clutched better than shimano without adapters, but I kinda hate the way they shift, and the hydro on rs685 is superior to red. Not a fan of how big the reservoir brifters are either.
i gotta agree with you on the size of the brifters.
Old 11-01-17, 05:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

I feel like 1x is SRAM's copout answer to making an FD that works. I know that's not completely fair, but still.

And I started out with no opinion about SRAM except that Red is impressively light. I expected that Force would be equal to Ultegra in terms of how well it works, and that wasn't my experience at all.
Old 11-01-17, 05:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I've used very little SRAM stuff, but from what I have used, my impressions haven't been good.

Within my current stable, the only SRAM is the X4 groupset on my hardtail. It's the only modern rear shifting I've ever used that I haven't been able to get to work well. I can get it fine on the stand, but no matter what I do, it has issues in the real world. Shifts will frequently clank and balk, and occasionally have slippage. The trigger shifters are also pretty tense, my thumbs can get uncomfortable on longer rides.

I've also tried out a friend's bike with etap. It worked fine I guess, but didn't feel very good. The buttons seemed sort of gooey and lifeless. The shifting actuation itself was weirdly sluggish. The split shift interface meant that my hands seemed to have a bit less freedom of positioning than they do when using Shimano or Campy, i.e. I'd need to have both hands moving around when making alternate-direction rear shifts in relatively quick succession.
Old 11-01-17, 09:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
OP's question was out the window after the 5th post. LoL.
Old 11-02-17, 04:43 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the interest of getting back to the OP's question, I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and decided on the Jamis Renegade Exploit. It's steel and is at the top end of your price range, but still feels lively and has a 105 hydro kit and carbon under your hands and butt. I ended up getting a 2016 carbon Expert, however, when the shop owner offered it to me for $100 less than he could get me the Exploit. It's the same bike except for the frame, which makes it 2.75# lighter and certainly snappier. I was inclined to get a steel bike, as I felt like it would stand the test of time better than carbon and would offer a much nicer ride than alloy. I'd be happy with either, but I'm thrilled with the deal I got, and if I ever suffer buyer's remorse, it will only be because I didn't keep the rubber side down and broke the frame, and then, I'll wish I had gotten the Exploit.
Old 11-02-17, 07:50 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Might check out bikesdirect. They have several bikes that fit the bill:

Save Up To 60% Off New Gravel and Cyclocross and Gravel Bicycles from bikesdirect.com. Great for commuting, racing or just having fun riding most anywhere.

Obviously this route involves ordering a bike from the internet...I’ve bought a bike from BD and had no issues. (Still, I wouldn’t recommend for anyone uncomfortable with doing a little assembly/tuning themselves)
Old 11-02-17, 12:30 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Mongoose Selous Comp at Amazon. Some sizes are $500-$700 if you time it right. Tiagra, TL ready, thru axle and TRP HYD/RD (not full hyd but close). Weight on the medium is ~ 25. Nashbar had some earlier in the year but not anymore.
Amazon is really strange with Mongoose pricing. They drop like a rock after a month when there is one left in stock and price goes way up after someone buys that one.
They had The Selous Expert with 105 and full hyd brakes for under 700 last week but now back up out of range. Well equipped bikes when at the lower prices, not so much for the full retail.

I have a Selous Comp. I bent both front and rear ders (not Mongoose or Shimano fault, my fault) and swapped them out for a Deore MTB der and an SLX cassette with a larger 34 tooth and have been problem free for 2500 miles. Road, gravel, single track, trails etc, I even strapped on a rack and bags and did a 4 day C&O/Allegheny passage gravel tour on it.

Last edited by u235; 11-02-17 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-03-17, 06:29 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I feel like 1x is SRAM's copout answer to making an FD that works.
Did you ever use the new Yaw front derailluers? They're amazing.
Old 11-03-17, 07:56 AM
motorthings

Originally Posted by shoota
Did you ever use the new Yaw front derailluers? They're amazing.
don't poke the bear!

btw - my point, which i failed to make in my original post here, was that getting too stuck on one part of the requirements can really limit the options available. certain functional requirements are understood, but to get too brand specific is often short-sighted. i have found brands i liked simply by chance (pedals, cranks, groupsets, handlebars, saddles, etc), that are better than what i originally knew or liked.
Old 11-03-17, 09:00 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
Might check out bikesdirect. They have several bikes that fit the bill:

Save Up To 60% Off New Gravel and Cyclocross and Gravel Bicycles from bikesdirect.com. Great for commuting, racing or just having fun riding most anywhere.

Obviously this route involves ordering a bike from the internet...I’ve bought a bike from BD and had no issues. (Still, I wouldn’t recommend for anyone uncomfortable with doing a little assembly/tuning themselves)
I almost bought this one. I am sure its a great bike, but in the end there were aspects of the geometry that I wasn't interested in, and BD just doesn't include enough info about the frame for me to take a chance on getting something thats not 100% suited to my intended purpose. So I decided to pass and now I have decided to build my own bike at significantly greater cost.

Old 11-03-17, 09:35 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by motorthings
don't poke the bear!

btw - my point, which i failed to make in my original post here, was that getting too stuck on one part of the requirements can really limit the options available. certain functional requirements are understood, but to get too brand specific is often short-sighted. i have found brands i liked simply by chance (pedals, cranks, groupsets, handlebars, saddles, etc), that are better than what i originally knew or liked.
This is a good point.
Old 11-08-17, 03:03 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I've used very little SRAM stuff, but from what I have used, my impressions haven't been good.

Within my current stable, the only SRAM is the X4 groupset on my hardtail. It's the only modern rear shifting I've ever used that I haven't been able to get to work well. I can get it fine on the stand, but no matter what I do, it has issues in the real world. Shifts will frequently clank and balk, and occasionally have slippage. The trigger shifters are also pretty tense, my thumbs can get uncomfortable on longer rides.

I've also tried out a friend's bike with etap. It worked fine I guess, but didn't feel very good. The buttons seemed sort of gooey and lifeless. The shifting actuation itself was weirdly sluggish. The split shift interface meant that my hands seemed to have a bit less freedom of positioning than they do when using Shimano or Campy, i.e. I'd need to have both hands moving around when making alternate-direction rear shifts in relatively quick succession.
man, IMHO, etap is the one thing they did right except for the battery sticking out the back of the front derailuer. I have it on my cross/gravel/do most things bike and really do dig it but I will say that when it is muddy out I pull the FD battery and install the cover. It helps with the mud clearance.

You can easily put buttons (blips) on the bar to give the rider multiple hand positions with shifting. I got some on the tops.

I couldn't get along with Shimano's di2 because I kept hitting the wrong shift button or accidentally actuated a shift. It happened to me enough to become really frustrating, especially when I use full finger gloves. The etap doesn't present that problem. Setup on the etap is so easy too.

But yeah, I find their mechanical stuff to be lacking.
Old 11-08-17, 03:55 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Niner RLT 9 2-star build (SRAM Apex 1) on sale at Jenson for $1,600.

Niner RLT 2 Star Apex 1 Bike | Jenson USA
Old 11-08-17, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
< insert brand favoritism opinion here>

Multi brand OEM factories are all on the far side of the pacific.

they make the bikes and ship them, cannot test ride an internet opinion, I suggest patronizing a bike shop.

they will help you after the sale. you go to Chicago to buy bikes?

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-08-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 07:56 PM
LewisQC

Bikes: Specialized tricross, Intense Spider comp, Salsa Blackborrow

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little bit over budget but it's relatively light, Shimano 105, carbon and TA... So it ticks all boxes except price!!!Devinci Hatchet Carbon 105 Road Bike 2017 - bikesale.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.