Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Fit/sizing for Jamis Renegade Expat

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 06:17 AM
simao

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to buy a jamis renegade expat. Unfortunately where I live I can only get this bike (or similar) online so I'll have to make my best bet on the sizing to avoid paying for shipping twice, also I cannot try them both side by side.

I am 179 cm high (5 ft 11 in), 80 cm inseam (31.5 inch). So I guess I'd get a 54cm or 56cm size.

How can I go about and find out what is the proper size for me and make a best guess?

I currently ride a giant escape n8 size XL, which is a bit big for me but I actually like it, so I guess I prefer bigger bikes.

I have another mountain bike that is a bit too small for me and I always get pain in my neck/shoulders when I am riding it so I am afraid of committing the same mistake again.
Old 10-08-17, 07:25 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look up the geometry of your current bike. Compare the stack/reach. Go from there. Don't worry about size, since that's arbitrary to how you actually fit on the bike.
Old 10-10-17, 04:23 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'10" with a 32-inch cycling inseam, and I fit neatly on a 54. The 56 is too long. It may be a bit too tall, but I didn't notice that, as I was also coming from a too large bike. You could probably go either way and simply use a longer or shorter stem. The 56 is noticably taller, so if you want a more upright position, go that way. If you prefer a more aggressive position, get the 54.
Old 10-10-17, 08:06 AM
simao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATPAH
I'm 5'10" with a 32-inch cycling inseam, and I fit neatly on a 54. The 56 is too long. It may be a bit too tall, but I didn't notice that, as I was also coming from a too large bike. You could probably go either way and simply use a longer or shorter stem. The 56 is noticably taller, so if you want a more upright position, go that way. If you prefer a more aggressive position, get the 54.
So you got a 54?

I am particularly worried about to the standover which might be too tall on the 56.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-17, 08:15 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by simao
So you got a 54?

I am particularly worried about to the standover which might be too tall on the 56.

Thanks!
You said you had no problems with the standover on your Escape and the 56cm Renegade's standover is lower..
Old 10-10-17, 08:19 AM
simao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
You said you had no problems with the standover on your Escape and the 56cm Renegade's standover is lower..
Yeah I meant I can stand fine on the escape, but I probably should leave more space between my balls and frame?
Old 10-10-17, 08:20 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Yeah I meant I can stand fine on the escape, but I probably should leave more space between my balls and frame?
Yeah, ideally.
Old 10-10-17, 10:08 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you got a 54?

Thanks!
I got a 54 despite wanting a more upright position. I'll probably get a riser stem, as the drops are too low for my old man back.