Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wife trouble because of stupid cyclist

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 07:37 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Driving back home from an errand last night, my wife and I decided to call in a take-out order from a local restaurant. Driving slowly down the quiet street in front of the restaurant I saw no parking spaces so I put my right signal on, pulled close to a break between parked cars and stopped to let her out. As she started to open her door, I caught a glimpse of a weak, blinking white light in my mirror and released that a cyclist was about to pass between my car and the parked cars - despite my being stopped, my active turn signal, and my wife's door starting to open. I yelled "Wait, wait, wait!" and then as the cyclist started to squeeze through the narrow space between my car and the parked ones I yelled "You idiot!". Of course, my wife who had not seen the cyclist, thought I was yelling at her. Even worse, she had turned to me as I was yelling and did not see the cyclist as he passed.

The good thing is that the cyclist was not doored, but I really had to do some 'splaining on the way home.
Old 11-11-14, 08:00 AM
choteau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can see it now in A+S ..... minding my own business riding down a quiet street with my bike lights on, when a idiot cager passes me and then does the squeeze into my travel path, STOPS and then tries to door ME. Then the cager yells at me! Only my catlike reflexed kept me from getting injured

By the way good save, both for the cyclist and more important keeping your wife from getting hurt.
Old 11-11-14, 08:05 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Excellent. No good deed shall go unpunished. If the rider had hit your wife's door....well, you may have saved his life with your blinker.
Old 11-11-14, 08:33 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by choteau
I can see it now in A+S ..... minding my own business riding down a quiet street with my bike lights on, when a idiot cager passes me and then does the squeeze into my travel path, STOPS and then tries to door ME. Then the cager yells at me! Only my catlike reflexed kept me from getting injured
Except I hadn't passed him. We were actually stopped for a good half minute before the wife started to open the door. I know what you mean about A&S - few cyclists post reflections about how their own actions placed them at risk.
Old 11-11-14, 08:41 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Of course, my wife who had not seen the cyclist, thought I was yelling at her. Even worse, she had turned to me as I was yelling and did not see the cyclist as he passed. The good thing is that the cyclist was not doored, but I really had to do some 'splaining on the way home.
This is exactly why everyone should wear a camera on their head all the time. This way the video would be proof to your wife there really was a cyclist zooming past while she wasn't looking.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 11-11-14, 09:32 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I will explain how you should have handled this in a way that gave punishment to the cyclist, while lighting the fires of romance with your wife! Listen to the wisdom of an old single dude who is clueless about women!

As your wife opened the door, you should simply have grabbed her, pulled her close, and gave her a passionate kiss. The idiot would have doored himself on the unattended open door, while your wife's emotional level would... well... would be dependent upon your abilities as a passionate kisser... You could then lambaste the idiot for interrupting your special moment with your siginificant other. See? A perfect plan!
Old 11-11-14, 10:02 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I agree, cyclist was an idiot. Never a good idea to ride between vehicles like that, always pass on the left; if you have to pass on the right, do so with EXTREME caution.
You should make a joke of it now, yell "YOU IDIOT" at home, maybe in the kitchen, blame a passing cyclist.
Old 11-11-14, 11:00 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
My wife went one better than that and knocked a motor-cyclist off his bike when she opened her door as he squeezed between us and some parked cars. Luckily no damage to the car, my wife, or to the rider, but some damage to his shiny motor bike (which he had to pay for).
Old 11-11-14, 11:05 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Double parking is not safe and obviously there was enough space to pass between you and the parked car--the cyclist did not want to go into the next traffic lane a) because it was busy with oncoming cars and b) because he most likely assumed you would be the one opening the door.

Bad situation all around--again double parking is dangerous because it blocks traffic!
Old 11-11-14, 11:58 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Double parking is not safe and obviously there was enough space to pass between you and the parked car--the cyclist did not want to go into the next traffic lane a) because it was busy with oncoming cars and b) because he most likely assumed you would be the one opening the door.

Bad situation all around--again double parking is dangerous because it blocks traffic!
While I agree that stopping like this on a busy street would be a problem, this was a side street with very little traffic. I stopped for a very short time to let my wife out and then drove around the block to collect her when she came out. Passing right between a narrow (18"gap) risking a passenger's side dooring is not a good strategy for avoiding a driver's side dooring. Avoid both by passing on the left. I doubt the cyclist made any assumptions.
Old 11-11-14, 11:59 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
I will explain how you should have handled this in a way that gave punishment to the cyclist, while lighting the fires of romance with your wife! Listen to the wisdom of an old single dude who is clueless about women!

As your wife opened the door, you should simply have grabbed her, pulled her close, and gave her a passionate kiss. The idiot would have doored himself on the unattended open door, while your wife's emotional level would... well... would be dependent upon your abilities as a passionate kisser... You could then lambaste the idiot for interrupting your special moment with your siginificant other. See? A perfect plan!
Man - I missed my chance here.
Old 11-11-14, 01:04 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA

If I see a double parked car, I wouldn't try to ride between it and a parked car. I might however slow down and think out what better option there might be. IMO, it was a stupid move on the cyclists part. It doesn't matter who is in the wrong when you get launched over or into a car door.
Old 11-11-14, 01:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
...As she started to open her door, I yelled "Wait, wait, wait!" and then as the cyclist started to squeeze through the narrow space between my car and the parked ones I yelled "You idiot!". ...

The good thing is that the cyclist was not doored, but I really had to do some 'splaining on the way home.
Easy fix for the future. Decide on ONE name to call your wife when she does something dumb. Use one that will get your message across, but not offend her. Hopefully it can be delivered in a loving way with a bit of humor. Use that term EXCLUSIVELY for her, never calling her anything else, and likewise never call anybody else by that name.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-11-14, 01:23 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Not a dooring incident, but we had a near-miss last Saturday in our club ride. One group of riders was stopped at a light, unfortunately clogging up the right turn lane with a car behind them waiting to turn right with his turn signal on. As I approached with a second group of riders, the light changed, the first group started riding and the car started moving forward. I moved to the left to stay behind the car turning right, but then from behind me about 6 riders passed me, then the car signaling for a right turn, on the right. Car had to abruptly stop, I had to stop, and the second group was squeezing thru a narrow path between the car and the curb. Not good, and I can't fault the car driver at all. It is usually much better for us cyclists to move left and pass turning or parking cars on the left! And if the first group of riders had taken the right thru lane instead of the turn lane, that turning car would have been long gone before the rest of us got there!
Old 11-11-14, 06:28 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting. If I yelled, "You idiot!" My wife would likely turn and say, "Are you talking to yourself again?"
Old 11-11-14, 06:31 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Interesting. If I yelled, "You idiot!" My wife would likely turn and say, "Are you talking to yourself again?"
Wait, my wife is married to you too?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-12-14, 06:20 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
FWIW, I agree, cyclist was an idiot. Never a good idea to ride between vehicles like that, always pass on the left; if you have to pass on the right, do so with EXTREME caution.
You should make a joke of it now, yell "YOU IDIOT" at home, maybe in the kitchen, blame a passing cyclist.
+1 I occasionally do this and am always paranoid. It is a dangerous practice - double parked cars are often dumping passengers. I am also always cautious when filtering up on the right at a red light or other congestion. It can be hard to see bikes coming up on the right. Some of them blow by pretty fast. I almost turned into one myself and I always look.
Old 11-12-14, 09:37 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Not a dooring incident, but we had a near-miss last Saturday in our club ride. One group of riders was stopped at a light, unfortunately clogging up the right turn lane with a car behind them waiting to turn right with his turn signal on. As I approached with a second group of riders, the light changed, the first group started riding and the car started moving forward. I moved to the left to stay behind the car turning right, but then from behind me about 6 riders passed me, then the car signaling for a right turn, on the right. Car had to abruptly stop, I had to stop, and the second group was squeezing thru a narrow path between the car and the curb. Not good, and I can't fault the car driver at all. It is usually much better for us cyclists to move left and pass turning or parking cars on the left! And if the first group of riders had taken the right thru lane instead of the turn lane, that turning car would have been long gone before the rest of us got there!
This is what I hate about some group rides -- some clown is going to insist on going to the right of right-turning or potentially right-turning traffic. I used to participate in a local YMCA-sponsored group ride, but I upset the ride leader by telling her, the presumed expert, that we should position ourselves in a destination-appropriate fashion on approaching an intersection. She consistently led people along the gutter to every intersection and tried to make a left turn from a position to the right of a left-or-through lane.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-12-14, 09:40 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
I am extremely careful when opening any car door, but I did come close to causing a door incident once. I was in the UK, sitting in the left front passenger seat, and our local driver pulled up and parked at a right (wrong over there) side curb. I dutifully checked back, but not forward, when starting to open my door, and almost opened it into an oncoming car.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-12-14, 09:49 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyb
If I see a double parked car, I wouldn't try to ride between it and a parked car. I might however slow down and think out what better option there might be. IMO, it was a stupid move on the cyclists part. It doesn't matter who is in the wrong when you get launched over or into a car door.
Not the safest move on the part of the cyclist, but the driver was blocking traffic and that include cyclist--obviously there was enough room to go between cars--by the way splitting lane is legal (carefully) particularly with stopped automobile traffic.

Also the driver should have been aware of the cyclist since he had to overtake him shortly before he stopped.

Opening doors into traffic is illegal according to the driver's handbook so is double parking!

Last edited by VNA; 11-12-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-12-14, 11:54 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum

Which would be easy, beacause he would be inside the car with you!
Old 11-12-14, 11:54 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Easy fix for the future. Decide on ONE name to call your wife when she does something dumb. Use one that will get your message across, but not offend her. Hopefully it can be delivered in a loving way with a bit of humor. Use that term EXCLUSIVELY for her, never calling her anything else, and likewise never call anybody else by that name.
You're not married anymore, are you?
Old 11-12-14, 12:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
You're not married anymore, are you?
Been happily married over 25 years.

Deb KNOWS that I would never call her an idiot or whatever, so there's no chance of her being insulted or upset by mistake. I don't have to resort to calling her names in anger because she'd know what I mean or feel by tone or context.

I do have a mild epithet I might use when annoyed, but can deliver it with a smile in proportion to the level of annoyance when she screws up. Likewise she does the same when I screw up.

If getting insulted is enough to strain a relationship, then the relationship wasn't that solid to begin with.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-12-14, 12:08 PM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Not the safest move on the part of the cyclist, but the driver was blocking traffic and that include cyclist--obviously there was enough room to go between cars--by the way splitting lane is legal (carefully) particularly with stopped automobile traffic.

Also the driver should have been aware of the cyclist since he had to overtake him shortly before he stopped.

Opening doors into traffic is illegal according to the driver's handbook so is double parking!
I'll repeat, "it doesn't matter who is in the wrong when you get launched over or into a car door". It will ruin your day. Riding your bike between two cars is dangerous.
Old 11-12-14, 12:39 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by choteau

By the way good save, both for the cyclist and more important keeping your wife from getting hurt.

And all too accurate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.