Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

case of cold corneas

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

case of cold corneas

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-07, 12:26 PM
psycholist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
case of cold corneas

Went out as usual yesterday...by now dressing is almost formulaic as long as I know the windchill. We finally have a touch of winter here and the skintemps were at 4F with the wind so I added a silk layer and all was well. Until I had to make an unexpected detour and wound up riding into the wind longer than expected. My body and extremities stayed toasty but I began feeling an unpleasant burning in my eyes despite my glasses. ALmost like they were trying to tear but couldn't. I put my head down, squinted my eyes, and slowed to a crawl to decrease added windchill but the irritation just persisted from that point on. Even after I turned south and headed home I had the feeling I'd done something to my eyes. Today they are firey and feel feverish or something, although my vision is normal and Visine Tears seems to help just a bit.
I couldn't figure it out at first...I have ridden in windchills similar or worse several times and had no troubles with my eyes like this. But I got new frames last summer and they take the wind a lot differently and I bet they channel the wind in such a way that puts it across my eyes.
Never thoought my corneas would get it when the tip of my nose and some of my cheeks were exposed and did ok.
Is there anything I should do other than time and visine? And I'm just guessing Visine is ok......
Old 01-31-07, 06:07 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
when the temp or wind chill is below zero, i put a on a ski goggles;
the kind that fit over your glasses.
i also use a Homeopathic product from Similason called
"Dry Eye Relief"; it nicely sooths my eyes.
Old 01-31-07, 09:33 PM
ghettocruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After riding in the winter with my snowboard goggles, I'd never use anything else.

Except maybe fancier snowboard goggles
Old 01-31-07, 10:30 PM
TreeUnit
Guy on a Bike

Bikes: Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got some $8 plexiglass goggles at Lowes. They don't surround your eyes completely, like Snow Goggles, but they keep the cold off. I've used them at 2F and they work fine, but have the tendency to fog up when I have my balaclava on. I'm going to try applying rain-x and see if that keeps off the fog.
Old 01-31-07, 10:32 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TreeU is that a safety goggle or something else?
Old 02-01-07, 10:26 AM
psycholist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So have any of you that ever DID get your orbs too cold experience lingering irritation? This is day three and man I am going through the eyedrops like crazy. I know I didn't actually get them FROSTBITTEN but I do think I screwed them up.
Look like a major stoner. Where's my Sublime CD?
Old 02-01-07, 01:35 PM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TreeUnit
I got some $8 plexiglass goggles at Lowes. They don't surround your eyes completely, like Snow Goggles, but they keep the cold off. I've used them at 2F and they work fine, but have the tendency to fog up when I have my balaclava on. I'm going to try applying rain-x and see if that keeps off the fog.
Dish Soap works great, as long as it's not snowing out. Also, Cat Crap is good, and around 4 bucks off of Amazon, but then with like 8 bucks shipping......
Old 02-01-07, 02:16 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that you actually did get a minor case of frostbite on your eyes. Also, known as frostnip. Not as serious as frostbite but you probably did some minor damage to your cornea which will take some time to heal itself. Probably a couple of weeks. I once burned the white of my eye with welding slag. Took about a month for the irritation to subside.

If your going to ride in this kind of cold you need googles. It doesn't matter if you don't feel cold. The surface of any exposed skin or flesh can get shallow damage in these temps when combined with the wind blowing over them.