Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best 'Quick Link' for 10 speed Ultegra chain?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 05:41 PM
AllezDada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you guys use - looking for something convenient and reliable.
Old 03-17-12, 05:47 PM
SebastionMerckx
Bastion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used KMC quick links for years with no issue.
Old 03-17-12, 05:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I've tried them all. The Wipperman is my favorite by far, though it's also the priciest. I use nothing but.

Seems to me most people favor KMC here.
Old 03-17-12, 06:06 PM
roshea
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wippermann. Works as well as the others but installation and removal is tool-free.
Old 03-17-12, 08:27 PM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the KMC, just because it is so much less expensive than the Wippermann. I assume with either of these the chain can be removed and reconnected multiple times (eg for cleaning)?
Old 03-17-12, 09:41 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Wipperman is totally good to go in my book.

I had some reservations (to say the least) but the Wipperman Connex has exceeded all my expectations.

No tools, and the chain itself is of the utmost quality. I put on many, many miles and I am a heavy dude. The Wipperman has stood up with zero issues. I can safely say that the Wipperman has far outlasted my Campagnolo Record chains by double. Record chains are premium goods, and for the Wipperman articles to outlast them is really incredible. I swear by these chains.
Old 03-18-12, 12:24 AM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're not supposed to reuse quick links, but I've done it a couple times and have had no issues
Old 03-18-12, 05:25 AM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zitter
you're not supposed to reuse quick links, but I've done it a couple times and have had no issues
Does this mean I shouldn't use this as a means of removing the chain to clean it periodically?

Also, with the Wipperman has anyone had any problems with it rusting?
Old 03-18-12, 05:44 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by zitter
The Wipperman is definitely reusable -- I go through at least 3 chains before getting a new link regardless of how many times I open the chain and have been doing this for many years. SRAM is not reusable. KMC can be reused, but I wouldn't trust it for as many uses as the Wipperman. But KMC is also cheap.
Old 03-19-12, 09:26 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by AllezDada
Also, with the Wipperman has anyone had any problems with it rusting?
Never. I've been using them for many years. If you remove the chain to clean it, I'd recommend the Wipperman -- it's way easier to deal with if you're going to be removing the link frequently. The only trick with the Wippy is that it is possible to put it on upside down, so pay attention when you install.

Actually, what you should do is buy the Wipperman *and* the KMC. I think you'll decide that you need the Wipperman, but it will be well worth the money to buy the KMC just so you can play with it and see how it works. That way, you'll feel much better about the cost of the Wippy.
Old 03-22-12, 07:14 AM
Ice41000

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tried KMC on my MTB. Link broke on steep climb. No KMC for me ever again.
Only Shimano pins.

P.S. KMC link WAS installed properly.
Old 03-22-12, 10:52 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super happy for MANY miles on the Wips. Well worth the price.
Old 03-22-12, 11:00 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I've tried them all. The Wipperman is my favorite by far, though it's also the priciest. I use nothing but.
Second that. I carry an extra in my seatbag, too.
Old 03-22-12, 11:39 AM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe there are any issues with reusing the KMC link. At least I've never had a problem. Tho i do tend to replace them when I replace the chain.
Old 03-22-12, 12:11 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why do you all use quick links? I clean the chain on the bike without difficulty, and on the rare occasions I need to break a chain it's easy enough to do so - and put it back together - using a chain tool.
Old 03-22-12, 02:40 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
none useless and dangerous
Old 03-22-12, 03:05 PM
ibis_ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're not supposed to re-use pins like that on 9-speed and above chains. You need a special pin(Shimano break away pin) or a special connector or a special tool to peen the pin.

Originally Posted by chasm54
Why do you all use quick links? I clean the chain on the bike without difficulty, and on the rare occasions I need to break a chain it's easy enough to do so - and put it back together - using a chain tool.
Old 03-22-12, 03:16 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

A lot of people like to use different chains with different cassettes for length and wear reasons. Also, master links are also easier to use than pins and simplify a few maintenance tasks such as getting at the pulleys.

BTW, when you say you put the chain back together, I hope you mean with the special pins that are supplied. It's dangerous to just pop out pins and reuse them. Seriously.
Old 03-22-12, 03:45 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
A lot of people like to use different chains with different cassettes for length and wear reasons. Also, master links are also easier to use than pins and simplify a few maintenance tasks such as getting at the pulleys.

BTW, when you say you put the chain back together, I hope you mean with the special pins that are supplied. It's dangerous to just pop out pins and reuse them. Seriously.
Yes, I'm aware that that Shimano connecting pins need to be used, and use them - though in a pinch I wouldn't worry about it - the risk, if one is careful, is pretty small. As for using different chains with different cassettes, I find this unnecessary. If the chain and the cassette are not allowed to get overly worn, swapping out the rear wheel isn't going to give rise to any problems.
Old 03-22-12, 03:54 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllezDada
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try the KMC, just because it is so much less expensive than the Wippermann. I assume with either of these the chain can be removed and reconnected multiple times (eg for cleaning)?
Make sure the 10-speed can be opened and closed repeatedly. I think the SRAM 10-speed quick link locks once it's been put into place so can't be opened and closed again, not sure about the KMC.

I use a 9-speed KMC chain with the KMC missing link and every time I clean my drivetrain I take the chain off. The missing link can be removed and replaced without tools.
Old 03-22-12, 03:56 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I find it hugely easier to take the chain off to clean it. It makes it easier to clean the chain, the chainrings, and the jockey wheels. I also find it easier to get the back wheel on and off when the chain is removed.
Old 03-22-12, 04:11 PM
roshea
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
none useless and dangerous
Useless? You have no interest in quickly removing and replacing a chain without tools?

Dangerous? You break quicklinks regularly?

Fine, if you don't like them, don't use them. But saying that they're useless and dangerous suggests that you don't really know very much.
Old 03-22-12, 08:15 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
I find it hugely easier to take the chain off to clean it. It makes it easier to clean the chain, the chainrings, and the jockey wheels. I also find it easier to get the back wheel on and off when the chain is removed.
You remove the chain to take the back wheel off? Wow. With or without a quick link, that is disproportionate. As for the rest, I disagree. It's perfectly easy to clean all those items with the chain on the bike.
Old 03-22-12, 08:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 5,546 Times in 2,877 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Make sure the 10-speed can be opened and closed repeatedly. I think the SRAM 10-speed quick link locks once it's been put into place so can't be opened and closed again, not sure about the KMC.
Park MLP-1 takes it off easily.
It *can* be re-used with the same chain.
Old 03-23-12, 03:35 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You remove the chain to take the back wheel off? Wow. With or without a quick link, that is disproportionate. As for the rest, I disagree. It's perfectly easy to clean all those items with the chain on the bike.
When I'm cleaning the bike I take the chain off to clean it anyway, and with the chain off it's easier to take the back wheel off. If I need to take the back wheel off in the field I leave the chain on.

I find it easier to clean the chainrings, jockey wheels etc with the chain removed, so I remove it. If you find it just as easy with the chain on feel free to leave the chain on. I guess that's the beauty of being different - if the OP finds a quick link and finds it doesn't make life any easier then s/he can go back to using a chain without them easily enough.