Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is a black helmet hotter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 04:50 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It’s been very hot this summer on the east coast. I’m in the market for a new helmet. Seems that darker colored helmets would result in higher temps for the head however there are many that are offered and sold. Wouldn’t a lighter colored helmet result in a more comfortable ride in this hot weather?
Old 07-12-18, 04:59 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
It’s been very hot this summer on the east coast. I’m in the market for a new helmet. Seems that darker colored helmets would result in higher temps for the head however there are many that are offered and sold. Wouldn’t a lighter colored helmet result in a more comfortable ride in this hot weather?
I switched fm black to safety yellow this season...no discernible difference. Likewise, no difference switching my motorcycle helmet from white to red...riding in Florida--hot. The vents in both are the key.
Old 07-12-18, 05:07 AM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
It is likely that the same foam that is there to protect your head will stop or greatly reduce the transfer of heat from the shell to the head. But, I still wear a white helmet because it might make a slight difference of a tenth of a degree or so.
Old 07-12-18, 05:14 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
The physical laws suggest there would be some difference but how much and, as stated regarding the foam, would we know it it?? Not at home at the moment but when I am, I have an infrared thermometer, a light colored helmet and jet black Scott. I'll do a little experiment.
Old 07-12-18, 05:23 AM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
The physical laws suggest there would be some difference but how much and, as stated regarding the foam, would we know it it?? Not at home at the moment but when I am, I have an infrared thermometer, a light colored helmet and jet black Scott. I'll do a little experiment.
Post those results when you can ! I remember “years ago” they (media) did that experiment with football helmets here in central Florida, and if I remember correctly the white helmets did test cooler than the dark colored helmets !
Old 07-12-18, 05:45 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yes, the top of the helmet will be hotter. Possibly noticeable when just putting your hand on the top. But, the foam is a very good insulator. I don't think the different temperature inside the helmet would be even noticeable. I have been using black helmets of all kinds since about 1998 in very hot weather. No problems with helmet heat. I buy black because it does not show dirt or scratches as much as other lighter colors, and it goes with any of my different colored bikes. I use black bar tape for the same reasons. A few of my bikes have thousands of miles on black bar tape. They still look ok, and, on the beater bikes a rip can be fixed with black electrical tape. Scotch brand stays in place for decades.
Old 07-12-18, 06:00 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I've always been told so. However I remember a science project at the Youth Fair where they measured the temperature on a white and black car hood and the difference was just two degree higher on the black car. In fact, it was hotter, but not by much.

Since I had a black car at the time I used that as my comeback every time someone would comment on how uncomfortably hot it must be owning a black car.
Old 07-12-18, 06:12 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The answer.... no, it will not be hotter.
Old 07-12-18, 06:14 AM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeljag

Post those results when you can ! I remember “years ago” they (media) did that experiment with football helmets here in central Florida, and if I remember correctly the white helmets did test cooler than the dark colored helmets !
I think it's that darker colors draw more light and accordingly, a higher temp. It does make sense as someone mentioned that the foam would insulate against any darker color the plastic coating might be. I saw in yesterdays TDF stage that Trek was riding with red helmet and BMC was as well. A brutal stage and heat to the head would definitely make a difference in performance so it would seem if the pros are wearing dark lids, the difference must be negligible. On another note, it looked as if BMC was rocking the new Giro Aetho helmet. I don't believe it has yet been released to the public but will be shortly. Sharp looking lid but $325 seems a bit steep.
Old 07-12-18, 06:14 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
All of my helmets are white. Stays cooler, looks cooler.
Old 07-12-18, 06:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
The outer surface of the helmet, yes. Your head, no. Not only would the heat have to transfer through the foam, it would also have to transfer through the plastic suspension (or whatever it's called) and the material and foam that contacts your head.
Old 07-12-18, 06:29 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Ask the helmet. I'm sure the helmet itself probably is hotter than a white one, and would be suffering horribly if it were a sentient creature.

And in the midday sun where every extra degree hurts, you can tell yourself it's the color of the helmet that's making you feel so uncomfortable. But I seriously doubt it makes much difference. It's just really difficult to convince yourself of that when you're cramping, blinded by sweat, and looking for any excuse to turn around and go home.

In that situation, maybe take the helmet off and strap it to your handlebars for a few miles, but I doubt it will help much.
Old 07-12-18, 12:49 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have an XL melon head, so I have to "special order" XL helmets... which are usually only available in black.
Old 07-12-18, 01:07 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I've always been told so. However I remember a science project at the Youth Fair where they measured the temperature on a white and black car hood and the difference was just two degree higher on the black car. In fact, it was hotter, but not by much.

Since I had a black car at the time I used that as my comeback every time someone would comment on how uncomfortably hot it must be owning a black car.

There have been multiple incidents of 3rd degree burns (incl children) from touching black/dark steel doors heated by the sun,

so in some conditions it can be more than few degrees difference.

Also:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...-sun-vi-242940

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver...rs-cooler.html
Old 07-12-18, 02:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
There have been multiple incidents of 3rd degree burns (incl children) from touching black/dark steel doors heated by the sun,

so in some conditions it can be more than few degrees difference.

Also:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...-sun-vi-242940

https://phys.org/news/2011-10-silver...rs-cooler.html
Here in Phoenix, businesses with dark metal door handles that get any direct sunight wrap the handles to keep people from burning themselves.
Old 07-12-18, 02:37 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I think it's that darker colors draw more light and accordingly, a higher temp. It does make sense as someone mentioned that the foam would insulate against any darker color the plastic coating might be. I saw in yesterdays TDF stage that Trek was riding with red helmet and BMC was as well. A brutal stage and heat to the head would definitely make a difference in performance so it would seem if the pros are wearing dark lids, the difference must be negligible. On another note, it looked as if BMC was rocking the new Giro Aetho helmet. I don't believe it has yet been released to the public but will be shortly. Sharp looking lid but $325 seems a bit steep.
Off topic, and unrelated to the helmets and heat, do you ( anyone) know why one on the BMC riders was on a White bike yesterday ( Wednesday) ??
Old 07-12-18, 02:51 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure if black ones are hotter but red ones are faster.
Likes For Shuffleman:
Old 07-12-18, 05:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My current helmet is black, the helmet before that was black, and the helmet before that was black. Now if you go back one step further, the helmet was red/white, and it was the hottest helmet I've owned, because it apparently didn't vent very well.

The color of the helmet is cosmetic. The construction and venting determine whether it will be hot or not.
Old 07-12-18, 06:05 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My current helmet is black, the helmet before that was black, and the helmet before that was black. Now if you go back one step further, the helmet was red/white, and it was the hottest helmet I've owned, because it apparently didn't vent very well.

The color of the helmet is cosmetic. The construction and venting determine whether it will be hot or not.

So theoretically, you're slower now.
Old 07-12-18, 07:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Get a red one. They are faster.
Old 07-13-18, 08:40 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I've had 4 helmets over the past 8 years(3 Bell Sweep +1 Giro Ionos), 2 black + 2 white. I didn't notice any temperature difference between the colors, but the Giro Ionos is noticeably cooler than the Bell Sweep.
Old 07-13-18, 10:59 AM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
No it doesn't matter. I've had multiple helmets in various colors and the biggest difference is vents.
Old 07-13-18, 11:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I also agree, the insulation of the helmet would likely make any heat effect minimal.

My choice of helmets would be for safety colors/styles.
Old 07-14-18, 09:23 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just switched to a matte black Met Strale this season, which supposedly has an improved airflow design even though its a semi-aero style helmet. Now this is anecdotal of course, and could be attributed to fitness, but on rides over the last couple weeks in 80-90 deg temps I haven't had massive waterfalls of sweat cascading down into my eyes like I've had with other helmets in the past, including white ones.

...So my final answer is, good airflow design and possibly padding, trumps helmet color for cooling, at least when you're moving .
Old 07-15-18, 07:24 AM
colombo357

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Yes, black is definitely sexier if that's what you mean (it is).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.