Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium Tandem Design

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Titanium Tandem Design

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 03:20 PM
turbozinke

Bikes: Litespeed tandem, Litespeed Ultimate, Schwinn unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Titanium Tandem Design

My wife and I have an old Santana tandem. The old Santana weighs in at 49 lbs. We're looking to upgrade to a newer/lighter bike. My dad has a Litespeed Taliani he bought new back in 2000. It has thousands of miles on it and he loves it. Still rides it almost every day. I found a Taliani for sale, but the frame design is different. Unlike most tandems it does not have a tube that from from the headset to the stoker derailleur. We are a light team, about 275lb total. I'm 6' and she is 5'2". This tandem is 58cm from and 54 rear so that should work, but I am concerned that it has some kind of weird from design that might not be good. What do you think??? THanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Litespeed.jpg (100.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-19-16, 04:23 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Frame looks too small in the front for a 6' person. That isn't 58cm.
Old 07-19-16, 05:28 PM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Most new tandem designs eliminate the lateral tube completely.
I haven't seen a Calfee with one in a long time.
My titanium doesn't have one either. Don't miss it. But it does have larger tubings.
My aluminum tandem has that same design as that lightspeed with the lateral tube from the stoker's bb to the captain's seat tube. Works perfectly fine.
Old 07-19-16, 08:28 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Designs come and go. There is nothing wrong with that design. A few years ago one of the major manufacturers of tandems had words on their website deriding those who took out the lateral tube from their bikes. Now that's about all they sell. Another pushed good vibes about 26" wheeled tandems, then quit building most all models. And now you all need disk brakes or V brakes instead of cantilevers.........you get the picture.

If the Litespeed fits get it, tighten the timing chain, maybe get a set of lightweight wheels or an upgrade to two, then go ride it like you stole it.

You'll get more admiring looks at a tandem rally than the guy on a new shiny Co-Motion, which says something.
Old 07-20-16, 06:38 AM
turbozinke

Bikes: Litespeed tandem, Litespeed Ultimate, Schwinn unicycle

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I think you may be right. It looks smaller than 58cm to me, and I'm 5' 11.75"(I think anyone my height would round up to 6!) Here is a pic of my wife and I on my Santana. This Santana fits me perfectly. I don't want to buy a bike that is too small for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cy Santana 1.jpg (99.8 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by turbozinke; 07-20-16 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 10:47 AM
shlammed

Bikes: Norco Bigfoot, Miyata 110, Giant TCR Advanced 0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about it. the design looks plenty stout.
Old 07-20-16, 11:31 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 105 Posts
Agree that design is fine. Bike fit: you really need to get on that bike and fiddle with the saddle height
and see how it feels. From your pix looks like you both like saddles a bit on the low side.
You must have a body fat in the 10% range. Stem angle and length on the Ti frame may be a problem
as well. At one time (when I was your age) saddle was comfy at ~3-4" above the bars, now it is
best fit at level of bars. Your wife looks to have her saddle at or slightly below bars. 54cm rear is
a bit of a stretch for 62" person. On a singleton 62" high means 48-50cm frame size in bike with
level top tube. Sure the saddle can be dropped and may work out fine, which appears to be what
you have done with the Santana.

Last edited by sch; 07-20-16 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 09:25 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Frame design interacts with the frame material, and the size of the tubes.

So while Calfee's are lateraless, they use very stiff oversize carbon tubes.

You take the lateral tube out of a frame and it's going to be less stiff, unless you comprnsate, such as larger diameter tubes.

Titanium in general does not make a super stiff tandem frame, and that bike that does not have oversized tubes is likely not terribly stiff.

The double diamond design of that frame is likely less stuff than the direct internal design of your fathers bike. (One reason double diamond frames fell out of favor).

My bet is that bike is less stiff than many modern tandems, and less stiff than your father's.
Given your team weight, it may not be an issue. The answer is ride the bike and see if it works for you
Old 07-20-16, 09:35 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My Primera doesn't have the lateral tube, either, works fine.
Removing that tube may affect vertical stiffness, but should have minimal effect on torsional stiffness, and making the main tubes a little bigger can counteract that. Anyway, if it fits and works, all is well.
Note that on older single bikes, a double top tube was common, but went the way of the dodo.
Old 07-21-16, 03:41 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Looks to me like front and rear frame sizes are the same, and they are certainly not 58 cm.
Measure from top of seat tube to center of BB axle, in case you don't already know this. As someone else mentioned, 58 cm, which it is not, would be a real stretch for your stoker, who would need 18" (46 cm) or less.
Old 07-24-16, 09:58 AM
mkane77g

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ti works just fine for spinners. Mashers can forget about it.