Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

first (touring?) bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

first (touring?) bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 03:49 PM
newbikee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first (touring?) bike?

hi there,
I want to purchase my first new bike and I want it to be a kind of allround bike. I know that this is difficult especially with a low budget.
I read a lot of things about materials, geometry etc. but since i'm on a budget, i considered the Triban RC 520. because it seems to be a fair price and I consider adding wider tyres, a handlebar with flare and mud guards and a rack.
Do you think it is somehow suited for touring, not around the world, but some weeks with luggage on rack bags from for example Ortlieb?
thank you for your advice in advance!
Old 02-12-21, 04:47 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by newbikee
hi there,
I want to purchase my first new bike and I want it to be a kind of allround bike. I know that this is difficult especially with a low budget.
I read a lot of things about materials, geometry etc. but since i'm on a budget, i considered the Triban RC 520. because it seems to be a fair price and I consider adding wider tyres, a handlebar with flare and mud guards and a rack.
Do you think it is somehow suited for touring, not around the world, but some weeks with luggage on rack bags from for example Ortlieb?
thank you for your advice in advance!
Yes it looks great! There's a number of similar bikes (brands such as Kona, Norco, etc.) in that $1,250 price range you may also want to consider.
Old 02-12-21, 05:07 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
One can Tour on most bikes.
Freddy here did a 2,000 mile camping tour on a $60 bike.

Old 02-12-21, 06:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 1,160 Posts
Touring, usually you want more that 28 spokes on each wheel, especially the rear. Depends on what you mean by touring, if you are carrying your camping gear on the bike it looks less stout than I would be looking for.

But if you are riding from hostel to B&B, etc., no cooking gear and no camping, probably more than adequate.

The best bike is the bike that fits best, so if this is your only bike, make sure it fits you really well.

Most people want the top of their handlebars to be about level with the top of the saddle for long distance touring, comfort over speed.
Old 02-12-21, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
It looks like a fine entry level road bike but maybe not as ideal for touring. But you can generally tour on anything depending on what you are carrying and how you are carrying it and of course your physical ability. However a touring bike is optimized for touring and will have higher spoked wheels for more durability and more rack and water bottle mounts and better stability for carrying bigger loads and also generally a more upright geometry.

This is a decent bike (maybe minus the cranks gearing) but it does have front and rear racks, fenders and a dynamo set up out of the box for not a ton of money:
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genes...-30-vargn21430

It does go above your other bikes budget but for a dynamo system like that you are looking at 500+ at the low end and Tubus racks are 200+ and fenders aren't too bad but it is nice they are included along with bottle cages. It is pretty decently set up for touring and honestly for the price I would probably consider it.
Old 02-13-21, 01:01 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
hard to answer with limited info.
your weight, how much gear, what type of touring, type of terrain,
your physical condition, cycling experience, repair ability, etc....

but no. this is an entry-level road bike, with allegedly some off-road capability.
"Triban’s Affordable Disc 105 RC 520 is a Great First Road Bike If you want to start tackling longer road rides"

not enough spokes and max 36mm tires to carry your load.
gearing (28" low gear!) not suitable unless credit card touring along the coast of holland.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 02-13-21, 04:17 AM
Indigo82

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I briefly checked the specs of this bike at https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rc520-...72#zoom=opened
Everyone will have their own opinion about this and there are many more experienced colleagues than me here.
First thing, if you're going to climb hills loaded with bags attached to your rear rack, you will have hard time with steep hills. This bike has double front chainring with the smallest of 34 teeth whereas the cassette at the back has 32 teeth at its biggest cog. That will give you 34/32*(29 wheels) total of 30.8 gear inches. The lower the better for hills and loaded touring. For example, my bike has 16.8 gear inches and I will be in this ratio when climbing many steep hills.
Definitely, the bike needs to fit you like a well made suit. However you can't know that until you ride it. Then expect to make many small adjustments with your seat and handlebar. Just get the top tube height right.
Can this bike mount rear rack with panniers so that your hills won't hit them? Depends on the lengths of seat stays. Touring bikes have this longer. But you would probably be able to do something in case you hit them.
If you're going to go off road you will need wider tires.
28 spokes is not enough for loaded touring off road. 28 spokes is not good idea for touring anyways. You will need 36 spokes for strong and mind free setup.
Also the front fork is carbon one and it has a limit of 9kg. That would forbid connecting any rack to the fork for additional loads except maybe handlebar bag. I wouldn't do loaded tour with anything carbon off road.
Dropbars? Do you like dropbars? Personal choice again. I wouldn't use dropbars for off road touring. I need wide swept bars of some kind to steer my bike through rough roads and terrain. On asphalt they may be fine as many will say.
So as you see, everyone will have their opinion. For me the biggest drawbacks are transmission ratio, wheels and fork. Also I do mix of off road and road on each ride so I have preference for a strong bike that can take severe beating. However, my bike isn't costly at all.
Old 02-16-21, 07:01 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 300 Posts
The bike will be fine. The good news is that the experience of touring will change you. Your priorities will change, your taste in bikes, even the fit will change. Then you will know what you want in a bike.Of course, this is just the initial phase of N+1 disease, which, as you can see on this site, can be a chronic, lifetime condition.
Good luck.