Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maxi Car Front hub overhaul

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maxi Car Front hub overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 02:53 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
Sorry about the order, and double posting page 26, there aren’t any more pages on the overhaul, the last page (28) of Summer 2004 is about steel frames by Mike Kone. I got the issue to learn about MaxiCar, but working on them is probably beyond my cup and cone skills. Admire those on the forum that can do the work!
Oh, I see. It's just that the reassembly procedure seems to be not fully covered in that article.
I put the rear hub back now, it took me more time than I initially thought it would. The annoying part is that if you overtighten the locknuts on the adjustable side the bearings won't spin freely and there is no other way than to disassemble the whole thing and start all over again. This is because the adjustable bearing race can only move in one direction, you use the locknuts to push it along the axle to the right spot. I think I got it right from the 5th time and after a lot of swearing. Let's see how it goes with the front hub.

I think that anyone can do it, it's just the matter of patience and taking your time. Especially, if you do it for the first time. The question is whether it's really needed to overhaul them to begin with.

Originally Posted by santa fe 2926
Just wondering if any shops or individuals performs overhauls on maxicar hubs.
If you sent your wheels my way I'd be happy to practice more on Maxicar hubs
Old 03-02-21, 03:54 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 62 Posts
In her restoring vintage bike blog, Nola mentioned that if you didn’t get the adjustment correct then you had to start over. I guess that Jan Heine’s article assumed that if you got that far, you’d be able to finish the final assembly. Well maybe not me!😂. Maybe I will, and you will have your retirement plan!
Old 03-02-21, 07:47 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Oh, I see. It's just that the reassembly procedure seems to be not fully covered in that article.
I put the rear hub back now, it took me more time than I initially thought it would. The annoying part is that if you overtighten the locknuts on the adjustable side the bearings won't spin freely and there is no other way than to disassemble the whole thing and start all over again. This is because the adjustable bearing race can only move in one direction, you use the locknuts to push it along the axle to the right spot. I think I got it right from the 5th time and after a lot of swearing. Let's see how it goes with the front hub.

I think that anyone can do it, it's just the matter of patience and taking your time. Especially, if you do it for the first time. The question is whether it's really needed to overhaul them to begin with.

If you sent your wheels my way I'd be happy to practice more on Maxicar hubs
Yeah, I discovered that quirk of adjusting the lateral play on the NDS side. You have to leave a little lateral play before you tighten the locknut (just like with any other standard cup and cone system, or a headset), because the locknut pushes the adjuster nut onto the other side of the thread groove, and that tiny fraction of a millimeter is enough to put too much force on the cartridge against the cup. The only solution when you've overshot your target is to back the adjuster nut out and tap the NDS side of the axle with a hammer and start over. It's an iterative process, for sure!
Old 03-31-21, 02:17 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
I am working on another set of wheels with Maxi Car hubs. Just for the sake of practicing, you know
The wheels came from a bike which was made in 1992, I believe.
I discovered that the front axle has the same feature I had mentioned before, both of the ends of the axle are reduced in diameter which leaves no threads at the ends. This is not a coincidence, this was apparently done on purpose. The front axle is the same diameter as the rear one (this is the case for hub types 3 and 4, see the article form BQ below) so I guess this was done in order to eliminate the possibility that the axle won't fit front dropouts. This however makes the removal of the DS locknut completly impossible, at least I didn't succeed in doing that.

The Magneto bearings in these hubs are different from the bearings I pulled from the other hubs (those wheels came from a '93 bike, so those hubs are supposedly a year younger than the ones I am working on now). The bearing cages are not flat like on those bearings in my previous posts. Instead, they have this curved shape and look exactly like the ones in the manual on yellowjersey.org or the ones I have seen on ebay. Just wondering if Maxi Car switched to those Soviet bearings in 1993 or around that time to possibly cut costs.

Last edited by alexnagui; 03-31-21 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For alexnagui: