Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:45 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
The point is we are not talking about oil we are talking about immersive waxing.

If you really read through the links I posted you would see that their testing came away with two main points when it comes to candle wax versus the Silca, Mspeedwax, or other blends.

The candle wax is inferior as a lubricant to the "luxury" wax blends. It is also more expensive over 10,000 km at least compared to the Silca Hot Melt and a couple other blends.

Not sure how a 40 dollar bag of wax that will probably last me for the year if not longer is for rich people, but thanks for the laugh.
You're making the argument that a Maserati is a junky car because it is a fraction of a second slower than a Ferrari, when they are all supercars.

And you are also buying into a pro-industry test of industry products. Maybe they work exactly as tested, maybe real world it doesn't matter which wax if you get caught even once in the rain.

I don't mind anyone buying whatever product they want. Just don't act like some company is doing you a special favor, and everyone who doesn't think so is some kind of idiot. People have been waxing chains for decades - all of a sudden it is popular and all the pundits come out of the woodwork to explain how smart they are and how they have invented something new. Putting additives in hot wax is also nothing new.
Old 04-02-24, 07:56 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You're making the argument that a Maserati is a junky car because it is a fraction of a second slower than a Ferrari, when they are all supercars.

And you are also buying into a pro-industry test of industry products. Maybe they work exactly as tested, maybe real world it doesn't matter which wax if you get caught even once in the rain.

I don't mind anyone buying whatever product they want. Just don't act like some company is doing you a special favor, and everyone who doesn't think so is some kind of idiot. People have been waxing chains for decades - all of a sudden it is popular and all the pundits come out of the woodwork to explain how smart they are and how they have invented something new. Putting additives in hot wax is also nothing new.
I'm not making that argument. And you aren't coming across as someone that is able to follow the conversation. Good luck!
Old 04-03-24, 01:08 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
If only there was someone out there looking into this as far as quality of lubricant and cost over mileage.....

Zero Friction Cycling Lubricant Testing

But please, keep using your crappy candle wax, not supporting the cycling industry, and spending more over time. I don't mind at all.
What are the two charts on the top and middle right? The titles seem to be missing which blocks they refer to. Not that the overall results don’t stand for themselves anyway in terms of the benefits of waxing vs wet lubes.
Old 04-03-24, 05:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I feel like you didn't read the exchange that lead to what you're quoting. The other poster thinks candle wax is crap.
But it's not. Do I use candle wax? No. I buy blocks of food grade paraffin wax and I add PTFE at a 10:1 ratio. Would I use candle wax if I couldn't afford to spend a few more bucks on paraffin wax? Yes. It would most likely do the same job. Chances are that big companies such as Silca and MSW are sourcing their paraffin from the same plants as the dollar store candle companies... Bottom line, wax is wax, right?

OZ Cycle did a series of testing with this wax / PTFE blend and compared it with others big brand companies wax, such as Silca and MSW. Guess what was the conclusion?

Skip to 14:15 for the results. Of course, this is not scientific / empirical data, but as I said a few posts ago, I trust the guy.

If any of you are interested to save money and get the same or better efficiency, here's the link to the video explaining the recipe and benefits:

Last edited by eduskator; 04-03-24 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-03-24, 05:58 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
But it's not. Do I use candle wax? No. I buy blocks of food grade paraffin wax and I add PTFE at a 10:1 ratio. Would I use candle wax if I couldn't afford to spend a few more bucks on paraffin wax? Yes. It would most likely do the same job.

OZ Cycle did a series of testing with this wax / PTFE blend and compared it with others big brand companies wax, such as Silca and MSW. Guess what was the conclusion?

Skip to 14:15 for the results. Of course, this is not scientific / empirical data, but as I said a few posts ago, I trust the guy.

If any of you are interested to save money and get the same or better efficiency, here's the link to the video explaining the recipe and benefits:
The whole idea of sowing the environment with PTFE powder because of marginal lubrication gains is short sighted and frankly selfish. Also I'm not at all sure that high a ratio of PTFE in wax makes any sort of positive difference. And on top of that you could get the same effect with tungsten disulfide, molybdenum disulfide or graphite powder, none of which are microplastics.

On the topic of food grade paraffin vs candles, the food grade is better. Candle's paraffin oil content can be anything but it's definitely much higher than food grade paraffin. Also candles often contain stearic acid which hasn't been tested in chain use at all. But by my experience with stearic acid I'd maintain that it does not improve the quality of the wax as a chain lubricant.

There are different types of paraffin. Some are soft, some are hard, some have high melting point whereas others have low melting point and all said examples can have the same oil content. Then there is the group of microcrystalline waxes which are even more varied in properties.
If a company wants to make a good chain wax they'll contact a factory and ask them which of their waxes would work best as a chain wax. Or perhaps which combination of paraffins and microcrystalline waxes would work best. Perhaps not all wax manufacturers make the effort, but some definitely do. Rex and MSwax new formula are a pretty good indication of that.
The same goes with ski waxes. You could wax skis with paraffin, buuut they'd suck for certain conditions and they'd be fine in others. Or you could get temperature specific waxes which work for a given temperature range and moisture condition. Sadly chain waxes aren't quite there yet. There aren't winter and summer waxes yet.
To summarize, It's more complicated than just looking at paraffin and thinking it's one substance.

You mentioned yourself, that Oz Cycle test isn't scientific and it definitely isn't. There's more uncontrolled factors than there are controlled ones. Riding in the wild with uncontrolled power, uncontrolled conditions and wind, uncontrolled wet exposure, uncontrolled wax intervals, uncontrolled maintenance after wet rides, etc.
Also he didn't take zero measurements of the chains. He just checked that a completely different chain didn't have stretch as new. Yay...
And he used different bikes! Different tires! Did he have calibrated odometers or did he use GPS data?
I mean come on! One of the bikes is an aero bike with what seems to be a different fit. It's not exactly a huge stretch of imagination to come to a conclusion that perhaps the aero bike required less overall energy (and thus less overall wear) to achieve the 3000km mark. If the riding position on said bike is more aerodynamic the differences in "fuel mileage" and chain wear could be pretty darn significant. Also unsurprisingly he put the homemade wax on the aero bike...

The only conclusion you can take from that is that both chains had wax on them.

And even then the results are dated, because MSwax has a new formula which is miles better than the old one.

ps. as a small disclaimer, I haven't used any of the fancy schmancy expensive waxes. But attempting to discredit them with data that's not actual testing data when there is actual real testing data available just grinds my gears a bit.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 04-03-24, 06:02 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by elcruxio
The whole idea of sowing the environment with PTFE powder because of marginal lubrication gains is short sighted and frankly selfish. Also I'm not at all sure that high a ratio of PTFE in wax makes any sort of positive difference. And on top of that you could get the same effect with tungsten disulfide, molybdenum disulfide or graphite powder, none of which are microplastics.

On the topic of food grade paraffin vs candles, the food grade is better. Candle's paraffin oil content can be anything but it's definitely much higher than food grade paraffin. Also candles often contain stearic acid which hasn't been tested in chain use at all. But by my experience with stearic acid I'd maintain that it does not improve the quality of the wax as a chain lubricant.

There are different types of paraffin. Some are soft, some are hard, some have high melting point whereas others have low melting point and all said examples can have the same oil content. Then there is the group of microcrystalline waxes which are even more varied in properties.
If a company wants to make a good chain wax they'll contact a factory and ask them which of their waxes would work best as a chain wax. Or perhaps which combination of paraffins and microcrystalline waxes would work best. Perhaps not all wax manufacturers make the effort, but some definitely do. Rex and MSwax new formula are a pretty good indication of that.
The same goes with ski waxes. You could wax skis with paraffin, buuut they'd suck for certain conditions and they'd be fine in others. Or you could get temperature specific waxes which work for a given temperature range and moisture condition. Sadly chain waxes aren't quite there yet. There aren't winter and summer waxes yet.
To summarize, It's more complicated than just looking at paraffin and thinking it's one substance.

You mentioned yourself, that Oz Cycle test isn't scientific and it definitely isn't. There's more uncontrolled factors than there are controlled ones. Riding in the wild with uncontrolled power, uncontrolled conditions and wind, uncontrolled wet exposure, uncontrolled wax intervals, uncontrolled maintenance after wet rides, etc.
Also he didn't take zero measurements of the chains. He just checked that a completely different chain didn't have stretch as new. Yay...
And he used different bikes! Different tires! Did he have calibrated odometers or did he use GPS data?
I mean come on! One of the bikes is an aero bike with what seems to be a different fit. It's not exactly a huge stretch of imagination to come to a conclusion that perhaps the aero bike required less overall energy (and thus less overall wear) to achieve the 3000km mark. If the riding position on said bike is more aerodynamic the differences in "fuel mileage" and chain wear could be pretty darn significant. Also unsurprisingly he put the homemade wax on the aero bike...

The only conclusion you can take from that is that both chains had wax on them.

And even then the results are dated, because MSwax has a new formula which is miles better than the old one.

ps. as a small disclaimer, I haven't used any of the fancy schmancy expensive waxes. But attempting to discredit them with data that's not actual testing data when there is actual real testing data available just grinds my gears a bit.
Very good analysis.

For the records, I'm not trying to discredit anyone, however, but I firmly believe that home made wax blend is - as better or better - than the big brand chain wax companies. My blend costs me a fifth or even a tenth of theirs and I am satisfied with what I am getting out of it in terms of efficiency, quietness and cleanliness.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-03-24 at 06:05 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-03-24, 06:36 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
But it's not. Do I use candle wax? No. I buy blocks of food grade paraffin wax and I add PTFE at a 10:1 ratio. Would I use candle wax if I couldn't afford to spend a few more bucks on paraffin wax? Yes. It would most likely do the same job. Chances are that big companies such as Silca and MSW are sourcing their paraffin from the same plants as the dollar store candle companies... Bottom line, wax is wax, right?

Is this the ultimate bicycle chain lube? - Test results (youtube.com)

Ultimate Chain wax - make it yourself (youtube.com)
Candle wax is paraffin wax.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-03-24, 07:29 AM
eduskator

Indeed it is. The food grade one is purer, though.
Old 04-03-24, 11:55 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Very good analysis.

For the records, I'm not trying to discredit anyone, however, but I firmly believe that home made wax blend is - as better or better - than the big brand chain wax companies. My blend costs me a fifth or even a tenth of theirs and I am satisfied with what I am getting out of it in terms of efficiency, quietness and cleanliness.
But the home made stuff very clearly isn't better than the big brand stuff.
While the actual chain waxes may not offer five times the performance, they do offer better performance than home made waxes that contain either candle wax or food grade paraffin. With the more expensive product you get longer rewaxing intervals, better wear life for chains, better resistance against the elements, higher efficiency etc.

And they're usually not environmentally harmful as none of the big brands I know of use microplastics.

Bang for buck home made stuff may take the win if that's all you care about. Personally the one thing I'm most interested in is rewaxing intervals in challenging conditions. And regular ol' paraffin isn't great there.
Old 04-04-24, 01:05 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 573 Times in 332 Posts
It should be noted that NOS period-correct food grade wax is available for C&V crowd.

From back when Pittsburgh had one of the seven sisters.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-04-24, 09:40 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
As kids we used to fight over the wax that came off jars of jam. It was poor man's bubble gum
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-04-24, 10:10 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
As kids we used to fight over the wax that came off jars of jam. It was poor man's bubble gum
funny, i actually remember doing that too. had jam stuck to it.
Likes For spelger:
Old 04-04-24, 01:43 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 96 Posts
I throw unwanted scented candles into the crockpot - doesn't seem to make a difference to the chains
Old 04-07-24, 06:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
But the home made stuff very clearly isn't better than the big brand stuff.
Not looking for a fight, but curious.

Where is the actual data "clearly" showing this?

While the actual chain waxes may not offer five times the performance, they do offer better performance than home made waxes that contain either candle wax or food grade paraffin. With the more expensive product you get longer rewaxing intervals, better wear life for chains, better resistance against the elements, higher efficiency etc.
Not looking for a fight, but curious.

Where is the actual data "clearly" showing this?

And they're usually not environmentally harmful as none of the big brands I know of use microplastics.
How many use teflon or other additives ... and in what quantities ... and has any of this been scientifically proven to have a beneficial lubricating effect in real-world application, and/or a serious negative environmental impact? How much does a bike with a little teflon in the wax pollute per mile versus, say, a car?

Bang for buck home made stuff may take the win if that's all you care about. Personally the one thing I'm most interested in is rewaxing intervals in challenging conditions. And regular ol' paraffin isn't great there.
As has been mentioned, there is no actual Scientific data ... I am glad that Aussie guy made those videos, and I have been using his method with excellent effect for several years ... but a lot of the differences are marginal, and the overall impact unclear ... (for instance, wax with teflon is seen by some as an environmental evil but oil is okay?) Also, rewaxing intervals are only one metric ... show me the side-by-side tests with equivalent bikes with identical drivetrains and show which method causes less wear ... but you cannot use human operators of course ... you would need to hook both bikes to electric motors and shift at precisely coordinated intervals ...

And sicne no one really knows exactly what works best for each individual ... it is possible that using the expensive wax and taking that one extra ride, that extra forty or seventy miles, actually causes more wear than re-applying the cheap, home-made stuff one ride sooner .... or not.

None of the science would hold up in a masters' program ... glad people did what they did, and for me, homemade paraffin/teflon is just fine ... but really, none of us know. We are all just deciding what we like and doing it.
Old 04-10-24, 07:36 AM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Isn't immersive waxing what Thetis did to Achilles when he was a baby? Look how that turned out ...
We know his name 3000 years later, so I would say it worked out pretty well.
Old 04-12-24, 05:35 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
So I tried my first chain waxing today. Last week I picked up a small crock pot at Goodwill for $2.50, bought two pounds of wax and some teflon from Amazon. I used one pound in the crock pot and "eyeballed" the teflon at about 15-ish grams.

I actually did three chains today but the first one I did went on my Shiv and I put in a 34 mile ride. Can't say I really noticed a difference, but I wasn't expecting to notice a difference either. The main reason I am giving this a shot is because I live in a dry, dusty, sandy climate and chain maintenance thus far always results in cleaning a lot of oily, gritty gunk off the chain. My main objective is just a clean drivetrain with some extended chain life.

We shall see.
Old 04-12-24, 05:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
So I tried my first chain waxing today. Last week I picked up a small crock pot at Goodwill for $2.50, bought two pounds of wax and some teflon from Amazon. I used one pound in the crock pot and "eyeballed" the teflon at about 15-ish grams.

I actually did three chains today but the first one I did went on my Shiv and I put in a 34 mile ride. Can't say I really noticed a difference, but I wasn't expecting to notice a difference either. The main reason I am giving this a shot is because I live in a dry, dusty, sandy climate and chain maintenance thus far always results in cleaning a lot of oily, gritty gunk off the chain. My main objective is just a clean drivetrain with some extended chain life.

We shall see.
Most cyclist that wax their chains report an increase in the number of flat tires they experience.
Old 04-12-24, 07:05 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by VegasJen

We shall see.
You live in the perfect environment for a waxed chain. At the least, you will notice how clean it stays. Just don't let that clean look fool you into thinking it doesn't need servicing when it's due.
Old 04-16-24, 06:36 AM
eduskator

Speaking of which, I rewaxed mine this weekend and went for a ride yesterday. I had forgotten how quiet it was for the 1st 100kms.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-16-24, 05:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Most cyclist that wax their chains report an increase in the number of flat tires they experience.
Well, if you ride faster, then you ride over more crap per minute.
Old 04-16-24, 06:21 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
my last ultegra chain using rocknroll gold lasted 1800 miles that was the chain that came on my bike. I just went over 3000 miles on my silca hot waxed ultegra chain purchased at rei. there is not perceivable wear yet. it has been hot waxed 3X with the silca drip wax in between. If nothing else it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 04-17-24, 09:52 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by jadmt
my last ultegra chain using rocknroll gold lasted 1800 miles that was the chain that came on my bike. I just went over 3000 miles on my silca hot waxed ultegra chain purchased at rei. there is not perceivable wear yet. it has been hot waxed 3X with the silca drip wax in between. If nothing else it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
The last chain I had that wore out in less than 2000 miles was something un-named from China. It also cost me a chain ring Not going there again. It proved to me there is a limit to frugality.
Old 04-17-24, 11:03 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by jadmt
Wax it at the right intervals and you should get anywhere between 6000mi to 9000mi from a single chain!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-17-24, 02:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Wax it at the right intervals and you should get anywhere between 6000mi to 9000mi from a single chain!
That is my current experience also since sticking with name brand chains and waxing every 300 miles or less, depending on riding conditions.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-18-24, 04:53 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by SpedFast
That is my current experience also since sticking with name brand chains and waxing every 300 miles or less, depending on riding conditions.
I've been using Ultegra chains with no issues so far, but I do 300kms (185mi) rewax intervals however.

There are more components (the rollers if I am not mistaken) treated with Sil-Tec on DA chains, which allegedly reduces the adherence of wax and additives. Not worth the extra $ IMO.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-18-24 at 05:14 AM.
Likes For eduskator:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.