Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do many bicycle manufacturers not list the weights on their bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do many bicycle manufacturers not list the weights on their bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 06:25 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 267 Posts
My Cannondale Supersix (non-EVO) carbon fiber all DA with Campagnolo Bora Ultra tubulars tips the scales under 15lbs.
I achieved this with major parts swapping from stock. With SRAM, Cannondale advertised as 16.5 without pedals.
That "without pedals" thing always bugged me. As if anybody rides without pedals.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-02-24, 05:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
That "without pedals" thing always bugged me. As if anybody rides without pedals.
All manufacturers list high-end bike weights without pedals for the simple reason that pedals are not included with the bike. They don’t include the weight of bottle cages either, for the same reason.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-02-24, 05:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
And as if anyone knows what pedals one would need on the bike.
Higher end bikes come without them for a good reason. They are enough of a personal preference item that there is no way of knowing what pedals will be added. It can be assumed that on a high end bike that the rider will most likely use clipless, but which system? Even if the rider prefers platforms thay are likely to have enough of a preference to change them from what would be provided.

Other items like saddles or bar tape may be somewhat personal preference, but a lot of riders will use what comes with the bike. On high end bikes that isn't the case for pedals.
Old 04-02-24, 06:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by staehpj1

Other items like saddles or bar tape may be somewhat personal preference, but a lot of riders will use what comes with the bike. On high end bikes that isn't the case for pedals.
I would actually prefer it if expensive bikes came without a saddle too as I often change it anyway. I was lucky with my last new bike that it happened to come fitted with my preferred saddle, but that was just sheer luck.

An idea would be for high-end bikes to ship with a really cheap demo saddle like they do with those plastic demo pedals.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-02-24, 06:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would actually prefer it if expensive bikes came without a saddle too as I often change it anyway. I was lucky with my last new bike that it happened to come fitted with my preferred saddle, but that was just sheer luck.

An idea would be for high-end bikes to ship with a really cheap demo saddle like they do with those plastic demo pedals.
Not unreasonable. I am lucky enough to not be real fussy about saddles and have often used saddles that came with bikes even long term. I once rode a coast to coast tour on the saddle that came with a $599 Bikes Direct touring bike and didn't complain. I am probably in the minority though and since then have become just a little more choosy as my 73 year old butt and become a little more boney.

Even I wouldn't mind buying my favorite saddle along with a new bike.
Old 04-02-24, 09:13 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 874 Times in 492 Posts
A few years ago I was on the Surly website reading about mountain bikes.

On the Krampus under the FAQ it asked “what does this bike weigh”. The answer was “I don’t know but we’re thinking about filling it with lead”.

I did end up going a different direction for my bike choice but it wasn’t because of weight.
Old 04-05-24, 09:37 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 349 Posts
I haven’t seen any published bike weights that seem unbelievable. For example Trek are claiming 7.10 kg for a top of the line £14k Madone SLR9 size 54 cm. Without pedals and bottle cages, I’m sure it won’t be far off. Canyon claim 7.52 kg for their Aeroad MVDP. Again that seems reasonable. My own Canyon Endurace was listed at 7.76 kg. I should weigh it really to see how close it actually is 😂
The Canyon weights are fairly accurate IMO. I just purchased an Ultimate SLX that's listed as 16lbs/7.25kg on their site. I don't know what size frame their weight is based on, but my size medium comes out at 16.2lbs/7.35kg according to my cheap scale, so pretty close.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-06-24, 05:58 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
The Canyon weights are fairly accurate IMO. I just purchased an Ultimate SLX that's listed as 16lbs/7.25kg on their site. I don't know what size frame their weight is based on, but my size medium comes out at 16.2lbs/7.35kg according to my cheap scale, so pretty close.
Yeah, I don’t believe they have very much incentive to grossly lie about their weights. I found them quite useful when comparing different tier build specs.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-07-24, 08:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by hsea17
No, it does not hold water. It's like saying that when a car manufacturer states a weight for a certain model, spesific engine and size that they can't do it because maybe the buyer puts on different tires (heavier/lighter), extra lights and installs a big music system in the car. Well, I'm talking about the specified weight of each specific model before the buyer makes their modifications. Withholding information about the product is the kindest thing I call it.
hsea17
Do you have any data as to how accurate published weights for cars are?

Nobody is going to care if their cars is off the published weight by 5%. But they will raise hell is their expensive bike is.

And that is a problem, because if you have ever weighed components, you’ll see those claimed weights are often not quite accurate. And it may not be the same batch to batch. Most of the weight of a bike consists of parts that bike manufacturer does not control production of. In most cases the only part the bike company has direct control over is the frame.

So is it better to give an unreliable number, or not make any specific claims?
Old 04-08-24, 03:43 AM
hsea17

Bikes: Giant SCR / Felt FR5 / Trek Emonda ALR 6 / Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Nobody is going to care if their cars is off the published weight by 5%. But they will raise hell is their expensive bike is.

And that is a problem, because if you have ever weighed components, you’ll see those claimed weights are often not quite accurate. And it may not be the same batch to batch. Most of the weight of a bike consists of parts that bike manufacturer does not control production of. In most cases the only part the bike company has direct control over is the frame.

Well, in reference to the new "Giant TCR" in the OP the base model of Giant TCR advanced mechanical gear weight in at 8.3Kg so if IMO should come out as the weight is actually 8.5 Kg, I don't see that as unreliable. However, if the top model "Giant TCR SL which is promoted with a weight of 6.4Kg should weigh in at 8.5 Kg then yes unreliable.  Btw, car weight affects fuel consumption so do bike weight affect energy consumption to a bike rider.
hsea17
Old 04-08-24, 05:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Well, in reference to the new "Giant TCR" in the OP the base model of Giant TCR advanced mechanical gear weight in at 8.3Kg so if IMO should come out as the weight is actually 8.5 Kg, I don't see that as unreliable. However, if the top model "Giant TCR SL which is promoted with a weight of 6.4Kg should weigh in at 8.5 Kg then yes unreliable.  Btw, car weight affects fuel consumption so do bike weight affect energy consumption to a bike rider.
hsea17
You are basing “reliable” on a sample size of 1?
Old 04-08-24, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

In reality component weight variation is very minor and is statistically unlikely to result in an extreme error eg all components on a specific sample bike weighing in at the very top or bottom of their typical variation.

I think it is pretty easy for manufacturers to provide reliable bike weights and mostly they do, which is why I would question the validity of the thread title, which appears to relate specifically to Giant in certain markets.
Old 04-08-24, 12:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
In reality component weight variation is very minor and is statistically unlikely to result in an extreme error eg all components on a specific sample bike weighing in at the very top or bottom of their typical variation.

I think it is pretty easy for manufacturers to provide reliable bike weights and mostly they do, which is why I would question the validity of the thread title, which appears to relate specifically to Giant in certain markets.
I have found the opposite, that manufacturers rarely publish their bike weights.

I just went to the Specialized site to check the weight of their Aethos configurations, for which light weight is their main selling feature. No weight shown:

S-Works Aethos - SRAM Red eTap AXS

Old 04-08-24, 01:31 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I have found the opposite, that manufacturers rarely publish their bike weights.

I just went to the Specialized site to check the weight of their Aethos configurations, for which light weight is their main selling feature. No weight shown:

S-Works Aethos - SRAM Red eTap AXS
It’s listed right there on your linked page under technical spec

6.36 kg size 56
Old 04-08-24, 02:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
It’s listed right there on your linked page under technical spec

6.36 kg size 56
<slaps forehead>

I did a page search for “weight” and “kg”, which came up with nada.

Either the page was updated, or operator error. Hanson’s razor says operator error.

Old 04-08-24, 03:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
When a bike manufacturer's spec sheet includes the disclaimer " specifications may change" You can be sure that any weight listed is a fiction
Old 04-08-24, 06:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
.... , if the top model "Giant TCR SL which is promoted with a weight of 6.4Kg should weigh in at 8.5 Kg then yes unreliable. 
Ummm ... there are a lot of people who would choose one bike over another based on a few hundred grams .... and also, it is a matter of percentage. After all, 300 grams is over half a pound .... a fair chunk of weight on a 16-pound machine.
Old 04-09-24, 02:33 AM
hsea17

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ummm ... there are a lot of people who would choose one bike over another based on a few hundred grams .... and also, it is a matter of percentage. After all, 300 grams is over half a pound .... a fair chunk of weight on a 16-pound machine.
Well my example was not really 300grams, but 8.3kg to 8.5Kg Anyway I'm not so fussy about weight but when the price tag increase to 3K I don't want to sit back with "spoken up disk brakes" and a 10Kg bike. All of course IMO.
hsea17
Old 04-09-24, 02:35 AM
hsea17

You are basing “reliable” on a sample size of 1?
No
Old 04-09-24, 05:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Well my example was not really 300grams, but 8.3kg to 8.5Kg Anyway I'm not so fussy about weight but when the price tag increase to 3K I don't want to sit back with "spoken up disk brakes" and a 10Kg bike. All of course IMO.
hsea17
That's a bit confusing. Your previous two comparisons, in the same paragraph, were 8.4 versus 8.5 kg (acceptable) and 6.4 versus 8.5 kg (unacceptable). Your post above referenced the first of the two comparisons, I guess.
Old 04-09-24, 05:48 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's a bit confusing. Your previous two comparisons, in the same paragraph, were 8.4 versus 8.5 kg (acceptable) and 6.4 versus 8.5 kg (unacceptable). Your post above referenced the first of the two comparisons, I guess.
I was confused by that too. None of the reputable manufacturers are attempting to pass off 8.5 kg bikes as 6.4 kg so it’s not really a problem.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-10-24, 06:49 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
Okay... one more time. Every component that goes into a bicycle has a manufacturing weight tolerance range. I use my wheel set as an example: 1518g (±50g) is the weight currently listed on the Winspace web site for the Hyper 67 wheel set.

Add up all the components and you get a range. Weight of X+- Y. It is probably a marketing decision to not list this number, and if you look at very many threads on this fine website you can see why. There are too many people who would loose their<expletive> over that, so better to leave it out.

​​​​
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 04-11-24, 06:06 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Okay... one more time. Every component that goes into a bicycle has a manufacturing weight tolerance range. I use my wheel set as an example: 1518g (±50g) is the weight currently listed on the Winspace web site for the Hyper 67 wheel set.

Add up all the components and you get a range. Weight of X+- Y. It is probably a marketing decision to not list this number, and if you look at very many threads on this fine website you can see why. There are too many people who would loose their<expletive> over that, so better to leave it out.

​​​​
Canyon are good at listing realistic bike weights and they also list all the main component weights in detail. I don’t see anyone complaining about those listings.
Old 04-11-24, 08:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

For those not buying the reasons given for why a company might reasonably choose to not list weights, I am curious what they think the REAL reasons are?

Is there some nefarious plot? Just lazy?
Old 04-11-24, 10:30 AM
PeteHski

For those not buying the reasons given for why a company might reasonably choose to not list weights, I am curious what they think the REAL reasons are?

Is there some nefarious plot? Just lazy?
Well Giant state that you should pop into your local Giant dealer and ask them to weigh the bike you are specifically interested in. Other major manufacturers do actually list bike weights. Do any of the others not list them? Specialized, Trek and Canyon all list weights on their websites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.