Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cup and cone bottom bracket help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 07:11 AM
peeweevinson
Son!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m having a problem with the tenacity cup and cone bb that I was wanting to install on a bike build. The Sugino xd600 cranks get stuck once they are tightened down. I’m using 110mm, and after giving up on them I used a 110mm cartridge bb and everything worked fine. What’s the difference? I tried a 113mm cup and cone that I had, and it worked, kinda,… but I have a 130mm spaced rear hub and thought the 110mm would be a better chain line. I was wanting to go old school with the bb. It’s like the spindle doesn’t stick out enough. It’s oriented correctly… just wondering if I’m fighting a losing battle.
Old 04-14-24, 07:38 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
it could be the crankset spindle interface. when i google (Sugino xd600) it says square taper JIS. you'd need to verify the spindles of your various BBs. sugino's website specifically calls out a "SG Mighty taper" and Ben's Cycle description calls for "113mm bottom bracket square taper for a 47.5mm chainline" hope that helps

Old 04-14-24, 07:52 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Why did you think you could get a better chainline by using the wrong spindle length?
Old 04-14-24, 09:20 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
Look over the freewheel cogs toward the chainrings - ideally the middle cog on the freewheel will like up with the middle chainring, in plane.

this is the "gun site method"

there are other ways to figure chainline but if you do this it will tell you if the spindle is too long or short, and everything is in proper alignment.

your comment about the arms being stuck on the spindle gives me cause to wonder if there's some other problem

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 04-14-24 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-14-24, 11:26 AM
peeweevinson
Son!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Why did you think you could get a better chainline by using the wrong spindle length?
the website I used (365 cycles) said 110mm for road use, 113mm for mountain. But, Bens Cycles website looks as though it is more informative.
Old 04-14-24, 11:29 AM
peeweevinson
Son!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn_bike
it could be the crankset spindle interface. when i google (Sugino xd600) it says square taper JIS. you'd need to verify the spindles of your various BBs. sugino's website specifically calls out a "SG Mighty taper" and Ben's Cycle description calls for "113mm bottom bracket square taper for a 47.5mm chainline" hope that helps
Thanks, yeah that helps. I should’ve dug a little deeper (or in better direction) on Google.
Old 04-14-24, 11:38 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I do not regard any statements about bottom bracket sizing seen on "a website" to be anything more than a starting point.

and I've never had a chainline problem, but I use Phil BBs on most of my bikes.

Mixing and matching components from different manufacturers will lead to unpredictable results.

if you can make it work, great ! but often you'll spend more money and time doing experiments on parts that won't work for you.

the nice thing about phil BBs is they have 3-5 mm of lateral adjustement. The bad news is they are expensive !

/markp
Old 04-14-24, 12:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by peeweevinson
.....The Sugino xd600 cranks get stuck once they are tightened down. I’m using 110mm, and after giving up on them I used a 110mm cartridge bb and everything worked fine.......
Just a shot in the dark, but was the spindle possibly "flipped"?
Often spindles have an offset with the DS being longer than the NDS.

EDIT: This is what Sheldon shows-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#sugino

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 04-14-24 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-14-24, 12:54 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
My take? You worry too much about chainline and not enough about whether your crank is clearing the botton bracket and chain stay on the drive side. If the crank doesn't clear, your chainline is wrong
Old 04-14-24, 01:26 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
It’s oriented correctly… just wondering if I’m fighting a losing battle.
You are. Cartridge BB’s allow the crankarm to recess into the BB shell slightly where a cup-and-cone BB does not.

Are you using three chainrings or two? What positions are you going to put them on? If you are going to use a chainring on the inner (74mm BCD, “granny”) position and you use a 110mm BB spindle, I bet the front derailleur will not have enough inward travel to make the shift. (It’s been a few years, but I tried this. It didn’t work.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-14-24, 01:40 PM
peeweevinson
Son!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You are. Cartridge BB’s allow the crankarm to recess into the BB shell slightly where a cup-and-cone BB does not.

Are you using three chainrings or two? What positions are you going to put them on? If you are going to use a chainring on the inner (74mm BCD, “granny”) position and you use a 110mm BB spindle, I bet the front derailleur will not have enough inward travel to make the shift. (It’s been a few years, but I tried this. It didn’t work.)
I’m using the middle and the granny, and put a chain guard on the outer. I went back to using the 113mm cup and cone bb, and everything looks like it’s lining up well. But, I just found out the 9 speed cassette I bought needs a spacer for the 8-11 hub I have. I’ve built a half dozen or so fixed gears, but this is the first geared bike I’m doing. Just trying to enjoy the process! I guess I’ll be back with a future question or two.
Old 04-14-24, 09:45 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I’m using the middle and the granny, and put a chain guard on the outer..
I have a similar setup (granny, “middle”, & chainguard) with 9-speed on my cargo bike, albeit with ‘80’s Deore crankarms. I used the same BB as used on a triple crank. It works perfectly- to the point that the front derailleur did not require adjustment after the initial installation.

(It might have helped that I have 40+ years experience working on bikes.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 04-14-24, 10:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
I’m using the middle and the granny, and put a chain guard on the outer. I went back to using the 113mm cup and cone bb, and everything looks like it’s lining up well. But, I just found out the 9 speed cassette I bought needs a spacer for the 8-11 hub I have. I’ve built a half dozen or so fixed gears, but this is the first geared bike I’m doing. Just trying to enjoy the process! I guess I’ll be back with a future question or two.
If you are using the granny and middle as a double, then you would want a longer spindle rather than a shorter one. It's good the way you have it, but your chainline is now based on the center between the two chainrings you've kept, not the chain guard.
Old 04-15-24, 04:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I do not regard any statements about bottom bracket sizing seen on "a website" to be anything more than a starting point.

and I've never had a chainline problem, but I use Phil BBs on most of my bikes.

Mixing and matching components from different manufacturers will lead to unpredictable results.

if you can make it work, great ! but often you'll spend more money and time doing experiments on parts that won't work for you.

the nice thing about phil BBs is they have 3-5 mm of lateral adjustement. The bad news is they are expensive !

/markp
A person can buy 6 - 8 cartridges for the price of 1 Phil allowing them to have them in various lengths "in stock" for experimental purposes if they do builds or swaps regularly.