Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde Footware

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 10:48 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Clyde Footware

A REI employee blogs about the stuff in the bottom of his closet:

https://findout.rei.com/blog_detail/?...34329219735530

"So, I count 17 pairs of sports-specific shoes, not including my Nordica ski boots. The count also does not include 2 pairs of casual sneakers, my motorcycle boots, a dressier pair of sandals, some slippers and, lastly, a forlorn pair of dress shoes that I dust off every now and again."

When I lost weight I went from having no sneakers to having athletic and sports shoes for almost every occasion. Anyone else go through this, and can anyone here top the REI staffer in the link?

Old 04-13-11, 10:54 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have I have only 8 pairs of sport specific shoes, but another 18 pairs of other types. I kind of have an obsession with shoes, jackets, watches, knifes, and flashlights. Oh yeah, I have 9 bikes in the garage as well. I think I need help.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 04-13-11, 11:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by thestoutdog
Oh yeah, I have 9 bikes in the garage as well. I think I need help.
You could give me one! (What size do you ride?)

Old 04-13-11, 12:17 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see, cycling shoes, running shoes, old running shoes for yard work, steel toed shoes for work, motorcycle boots, 2 pairs of dress shoes (black and brown), crocs, flip-flops, a pair of casual tennis shoes, basketball shoes...
Old 04-13-11, 12:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
can anyone here top the REI staffer in the link?
Probably my girlfriend. There are shoes falling out of every nook and cranny in the house!

I do have an excessive amount of bike shoes, but it rains a lot here, and they're awful to put on when they're wet. I have a pair of SPD sandals, and in the summer, I like to bike out to different beaches, and go swimming. The ground is rocky and not entirely comfortable, so the sandals keep my feet feeling good, and make it so that I don't have to carry a pair with me on the bike. Plus I have three (!) pairs of SPD covered shoes. I mostly only use one of them, until it gets soaked, then I wear the others until it's (completely) dry again.
Old 04-13-11, 08:01 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Can't top the REI guy in any universe... Let me see... One pair of athletic shoes (new for running), two pair of well abused athletic shoes for, well, everything. Some sporty sandals, two pair. An old pair of hiking boots that I probably should toss. A pair of dress shoes bought for weddings and funerals. A pair of casual slip-ons. One pair of sneaker type steel toe shoes, one pair of hiker style steel toes, and some really serious warm steel toed boots (all work related...). Some slippers, A pair of Ocean Pacific flip flops. A pair of soccer cleats (a lifetime ago I coached kids...). And my old pair of Nike Aqua Socks that are flat and shriveled...
Old 04-13-11, 08:20 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have I have only 8 pairs of sport specific shoes, but another 18 pairs of other types. I kind of have an obsession with shoes, jackets, watches, knifes, and flashlights. Oh yeah, I have 9 bikes in the garage as well. I think I need help.
I have 5 pairs of cycling shoes and too many other shoes to bother looking. I also have watches, jackets and flashlights (this is a strange one) and I have 10 bikes ( I just don't like to sell them and I build-up a new one in the winter to keep busy, I need to quit doing this).
Old 04-13-11, 10:38 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Historian
A REI employee blogs about the stuff in the bottom of his closet:

https://findout.rei.com/blog_detail/?...34329219735530

"So, I count 17 pairs of sports-specific shoes, not including my Nordica ski boots. The count also does not include 2 pairs of casual sneakers, my motorcycle boots, a dressier pair of sandals, some slippers and, lastly, a forlorn pair of dress shoes that I dust off every now and again."

When I lost weight I went from having no sneakers to having athletic and sports shoes for almost every occasion. Anyone else go through this, and can anyone here top the REI staffer in the link?
I think I'm close to the REI blogger, but some of it is because I've changed sizes so often:

North Face snow boots, size 14 - these are now two sizes too big for me, and I almost got rid of them last year. Then we got clobbered with snow.....
ASOLO hiking boots, size 12 - my heavy duty hikers
Timberland hiking boots, size 13 - my now 'light duty' hikers. These got demoted when I got the ASOLO. My old "light duty" hiking boots I passed on to Sayre Kulp, since they were too big for me but fit him.
New Balance trail runners, 12 - which I use for walking or at the gym
Nike Air cross trainers, 12 - at the gym
Saucony running shoes, 12 - now for the gym since I'll never run again.
Champion C-9 running shoes, 13 - too big but comfortable. They are nearing the end of their useful life, but since I paid 5 dollars for them, I don't mind.....
Sette Rival MTB shoes, 2 pairs, different years and styling, size 47 (US 13) - I don't ride clipless, but I like the firm sole, and, as silly as it sounds, I like thinking I'm a 'real cyclist' by using cycling specific gear.
water shoes, I don't remember who makes them, size 13 - for the tri I'll do someday.
Teva sport sandals, size 12 - again for water activities I might do.
two pairs Crocs, size 13 - black and the now-infamous peach. I've hiked in the peach pair, so these qualify as "sports" or "athletic." Anyway, both are too large for me, and I should get size 12 now.

So if we include the pair of boots I gave Sayre and a pair of cheap size 13 basketball shoes I got for some reason I don't remember and gave away, I am at 15. (Leaving aside dress and non-athletic shoes of course.) Every time I look at the floor of the closet it's a reminder I'm not the man I was 5 years ago.

Old 04-13-11, 11:37 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll play

Asics for running
Nike for walking
Doc Martens for work
Doc Marten steel toe for me
Converse Chuck Taylor for driving
PF Flyers Sandlot edition for fun
Vans Descendants edition for fun
Shimano for the bike
Black leather cowboy boots for the sh*t kicking
Tan Suede cowboy boots for the ladies
Old 04-14-11, 09:33 AM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Didn't realize I had this many until I wrote them down, but apparently have a way to go to catch y'all.

Ecco boots for work
Keen boots for hiking
Shimano for the bikes (no road shoes yet)
New Balance Cross Trainers for general use
Teva sandals
Cheap flip flops
Loafers for weddings, funerals, job interviews
Old 04-14-11, 10:47 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets see:

1 good pair of sneaker
2 pairs of work sneakers
1 pair of work boots
2 pairs of sandals
1 pair of crocks
1 seat of cleats
1 set of bike shoes
3 pairs of dress shoes
1 pair of water shoes
-------------------
13 pairs of shoes. I think I have a problem haha
Old 04-14-11, 01:03 PM
Kerrvillian

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, can't really relate, but mostly because of medical and market reasons.

I have a condition known as Tarsal Tunnel syndrome which requires the use of orthotics. It is related to being flat-footed. I have orders from my podiatrist to avoid the sort of pronation which most cyclists use so even if I had shoes/clipless pedals I would not be allowed to use them. I ride mid-sole on my platform pedals, force applied straight through the center of the leg.

He also has me wearing high-top shoes so my choices are limited. Ever seen a person pedalling in combat boots? That's one of my 2 useable pairs. The other pair are hiking boots. Both soles with a wedge applied under the right instep to rotate my foot into position.

Considering the pain that I went through before these measures I'll stick with his recommendations.
Old 04-14-11, 01:21 PM
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have one pair of sneakers and one pair of dress shoes. Once I started losing weight, I got a pair of sandals. Once I started running, I picked up a pair of running shoes and have since bought another. When I decided to get serious about my cycling, I got a pair of shoes and went clipless. I also inherited a pair of hiking boots from the OP when I started hiking with him. I easily have way more shoes than I ever did before. However it's nothing compared to the average person.
Old 04-14-11, 01:48 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazydad
Ecco boots for work
Oooh, I love Ecco's. I have retired one pair after 6 years of daily work-boot duty. I now own two pairs of their boots and another pair of dress shoes. I'm a big boy and there's nothing I can do to wear them out. Did I mention that I love Ecco's?

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 04-14-11, 03:55 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oooh, I love Ecco's. I have retired one pair after 6 years of daily work-boot duty. I now own two pairs of their boots and another pair of dress shoes. I'm a big boy and there's nothing I can do to wear them out. Did I mention that I love Ecco's?
Eccos ROCK! I got my first pair about 15 years ago. I was in the car business and walked a huge lot all day, every day. Went to the store and almost choked when I was shown them. I had never paid $200 for a pair of shoes before and thought i never would. The rep told me to try them on and let me walk around the mall for an hour and said he would give me 10% off anything in the store if I didn't think they were the most comfortable shoes I had ever worn. Needless to say, when I got back I wrote the check. And while they seem expensive up front, when each pair lasts up to 10 years, it makes them pretty cheap.
Old 04-15-11, 08:27 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SPD mountain bike shoes - never worn anymore, went to plain-old-pedals

Black casual shoes with velcro closure - normally ride in these

Velcro sandals - for when I want funny tan lines on my feet

Winter boots - riding in the winter, duh

Brown dress shoes - left at work

Black dress shoes - left at work

That's all.
Old 04-15-11, 12:39 PM
GumbyN

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have 1 pair of tennis shoes... they also double as my biking shoes (until later today when i buy a pair of specialized road shoes so i can finally put my Shimano pedals on my bike), and my mowing the lawn shoes.

when i was younger, single (not married with a kid), and played just about every sport out there other than running and soccer (which is running for no reason), i had all kinds of shoes.

now, i have 4 pairs of dress shoes, 1 pair of Under Armor running shoes, and that's it.