Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire lever for carbon wheels?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire lever for carbon wheels?

Old 10-02-19, 07:04 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by gurk700
Well good news for you as you can have easy mounting without sacrificing any detectable performance difference.
If you're one of those people who claim they can tell the grip difference and roll resistance between 2 top performing tires, I'm willing to bet you ride once per week to go to coffee shop and show off to your friends.

Otherwise, like I said, you don't have to sacrifice anything as it's 2019 and you have loads of good choices.

To the ones who have weaker fingers, fair enough.
I have easy mounting with the tire of my choice using a lever and I cannot imagine not using one. I would not limit my tire choices just to prove my fingers are macho. Well your crystal ball is broken as I have been on a team for 15 yrs, I put in 200 - 250 miles a week on a weight weenie 19' Sworks tarmac, rim braked, 60mm wheels with 23c at 140lbs. Good luck.
Old 10-02-19, 07:05 PM
gurk700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I have easy mounting with the tire of my choice using a lever and I cannot imagine not using one. I would not limit my tire choices just to prove my fingers are macho. Well your crystal ball is broken as I have been on a team for 15 yrs, I put in 200 - 250 miles a week on a weight weenie 19' Sworks tarmac, rim braked, 60mm wheels with 23c at 140lbs. Good luck.
Omg do me right here.
Old 10-02-19, 07:31 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I agree that you shouldn’t choose tires based on ease of mounting. At the same time, I don’t see what your bio or your bike has to do with the willingness to learn a new skill.
Old 10-02-19, 07:58 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

For those who need levers to remove a tire, but not to reinstall one: At what point between taking the tire off and putting it back on did the dimensions of the rim and/or tire change that you no longer need the levers?
Old 10-02-19, 09:37 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Being able to mount and unmounts tyres without levers is always a great skill to have, but regardless of whether you can or cannot do it, I always advocate carrying a tyre lever out in the field as a precaution/insurance. You never know when you've punctured in the middle of nowhere during a long ride, and your hands are all tired and hurting for some reason or other -- changing a tyre in the comforts of your home/garage/bike shop can sometimes be a lot different from doing it out on the road while tired/hurting/wet/rushing to meet a cutoff/whatever.

If you can still do it out in the field under adverse conditions, that's awesome. But if for some reason or other you're unable to... well, at least falling back to using a tyre lever is better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by atwl77; 10-02-19 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-03-19, 06:55 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It depends on the tire and on the rim. Some rims are difficult to install tires and some rims are easy enough by hand without tire levers.

The same goes for tires. Some tires are difficult to install. It could be the way they were designed.

Shop mechanics will tell you their stories.

Then there's the rider. Some riders are just like 5'-3" weighing in at 110 lbs. I don't expect their strength or hands to be like a much bigger rider.

So then the original question: which tire lever? Depends.
Old 10-03-19, 08:41 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Being able to mount and unmounts tyres without levers is always a great skill to have, but regardless of whether you can or cannot do it, I always advocate carrying a tyre lever out in the field as a precaution/insurance. You never know when you've punctured in the middle of nowhere during a long ride, and your hands are all tired and hurting for some reason or other -- changing a tyre in the comforts of your home/garage/bike shop can sometimes be a lot different from doing it out on the road while tired/hurting/wet/rushing to meet a cutoff/whatever.

If you can still do it out in the field under adverse conditions, that's awesome. But if for some reason or other you're unable to... well, at least falling back to using a tyre lever is better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Absolutely, I have one in my saddle bag, have just never needed to use it. I figure the day I go out without it will be the day I need it.
Old 10-03-19, 11:48 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Why use tires that are horribly designed? I have no doubt they ride amazing but there are a lot of tires that perform just as well, look as good, cost same or less
and FIT PERFECT.

So your perfect technique you think people should learn works great, as long as everyone uses your tires and wheels.

Face reality: people don't.
Old 10-03-19, 11:55 AM
gurk700

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
So your perfect technique you think people should learn works great, as long as everyone uses your tires and wheels.

Face reality: people don't.
Cool. Destroy your carbon wheels I don't care
Old 10-03-19, 01:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I think we can all agree, though, that using a tire lever is more honorable than making the call of shame. Do what you need to.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-03-19, 03:56 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Cool. Destroy your carbon wheels I don't care
That's ignorant, you cannot destroy your CF wheel with any tire lever I have seen. Have you ever
owned a CF wheel?
Old 10-03-19, 04:18 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I was never aware you could remove a tire without a lever(s). So today I gave it try in the garage and what do you know, I was able to get the tire off with just my hands. It was somewhat tight, about like putting them on, but I was able to do in few minutes.

This great news since I didn't want to mark up my 2 week old November carbon wheels. I'm leaving the levers in my kit just in case but it is good to know I most probably won't need them.

Here is quick video that shows it being done.

Old 10-03-19, 05:15 PM
pickettt

Originally Posted by August West
I was never aware you could remove a tire without a lever(s). So today I gave it try in the garage and what do you know, I was able to get the tire off with just my hands. It was somewhat tight, about like putting them on, but I was able to do in few minutes.
Good for you . Today you’re a little better at your craft than you were yesterday. That’s all any of us can hope to be.