Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Photography forums?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Photography forums?

Old 02-24-20, 05:12 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 123 Posts
Photography forums?

Any recommendations for decent photo forums? I’ve been lurking at luminous-landscape. Surely there are more.

Thanks.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
Old 02-24-20, 05:40 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 169 Posts
I was a member of Nikonians, though brand specific pretty good. If you are into film at all, few are anymore, APUG is a great site.
​​​​
Old 02-24-20, 12:04 PM
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 29 Posts
Digital specific DPR Forums
Pentax Forum - Pentax Forums
Old 02-24-20, 06:21 PM
Igotdibs 
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Trek Madone 5.9, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 128 Posts
Fredmiranda.com
Old 02-24-20, 06:56 PM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 263 Posts
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 02-24-20, 10:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 714 Posts
Photo.net was pretty good years ago. I started hanging out there around the late 1990s, right about when CompuServe was at end-of-life, and was fairly active until around 2012. No idea what it's like now, haven't been active there in several years. I just took a quick peek at the forums and recognize most of the names. As with bike forums or any older discussion forum, there's often a core group of users who hang around forever. That's good and bad. There's some stability and continuity.

On the flip side, it can be cliquish and occasionally curmudgeonly. Most of the forums have a vibe similar to the mechanics forum here on bike forums. I'm not sure any photo.net forum has quite the convivial vibe of BF's C&V forum, which is unusually friendly and helpful for any forum on any topic.

The site has otherwise been completely revamped since I last looked a few years ago. No idea about how well it functions or how busy it is. I do know that while it began as the oldest and longest surviving photo site online (dating back to the mid-1990s in a rather primitive form) it struggled to adapt to the social media era. There was a major ownership change and a few management changes.

But based on the five minutes I just spent looking in, it seems to be worth visiting.
Old 02-24-20, 10:45 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 328 Posts
On occasion I use a german one for the brand i use to read and post. I prefer certain authors and books over forums though. I actually find that flickr gives me enough inspiration and private conversations about camera’s/lenses and processing that it’s all i really need in internet use. I’ve made many positive connections there and even met and photographed with a few of my favorite posters!!
Old 02-25-20, 09:35 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Social media, for me, is limited to forums like this. Guess I'm a curmudgeon at heart! Perhaps I'll try Flickr.
clemsongirl I'm becoming a fan of Sean Tucker. I like his YouTube videos. He seems really down to earth, and I enjoy seeing his images. Perhaps I'll find more.
Old 02-25-20, 02:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3561 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 714 Posts
Part of the issue is deciding what we want from a photography discussion forum.

Most are oriented toward gear obsession rather than photography. Some folks do put that pricey new gear to exceptional use. Most don't.

The internet has had plenty of time to demonstrate that most folks aren't seriously interested in what it takes to develop as a photographer. Almost any other creative craft insists upon excellence (even when it isn't always rewarded commensurately with effort) and pushes participants toward refining their craft: acting, music, painting, sculpture, etc. All eventually involve inescapable criticism, sometimes constructive, but not always.

But photography thrives on kudos, gold stars, gimmicks and mutual backrubs.

Many photography sites have attempted to incorporate constructive critiques of user submitted content, and almost all have failed. That includes photo.net where I used to hang out as a mod.

I also moderate a Facebook page for street and documentary photography, only because a friend had the notion that the internet needed yet another forum for street and documentary photography. It doesn't. My friend has been too busy actually making a living as a professional photographer so the FB page is pretty much up to me. I've done absolutely nothing to develop the community or encourage participation, hoping it would die of neglect.

Inexplicably, we keep getting new members. Not one of them has ever heeded my introductory statement for the group, which encourages participants to avoid the trap of daily begging for affirmation of one photo at a time, and instead work toward a theme or project and submit samples for a critique of a body of work in progress.

Most folks on every Facebook photography group fall into the same trap of wanting daily doses of affirmation. Not critiques. And that pressure tends toward a certain kind of safe, accessible, familiar sameness. Occasionally someone will try to differentiate their monochrome photo from the masses by specifying which film and developer they used.

But, hey, check out my new full frame mirrorless etc etc etc...
Old 02-25-20, 06:47 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
But photography thrives on kudos, gold stars, gimmicks and mutual backrubs.............Most folks on every Facebook photography group fall into the same trap of wanting daily doses of affirmation.
It’s not about affirmation for most photographers i know. Perhaps for many it’s more about just a visual means of communication concerning our individual photography subjects. …..I do see facebook as more about some individuals needing activity in their nucleus accumbens .

Personally i like the sharing of photography on sites like this simply for seeing what and how others see their subjects. Here it matters nothing to me about the technical aspects of a photo or equipment used. As i already wrote I use flickr for inspiration and sharing specific info with others and also for the ability to show how i look at mostly the ordinary things around me. I do hope that the creativity of photography instills a learning experience for those showing an interest. For that reason I also volunteer on a program for teenagers who want to explore their creativity through photography.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 02-29-20, 10:46 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 96 Posts
I will put my name down as previous user of photo.net. I haven't been on the site in YEARS but when I was there I found the community to be pretty welcoming. Back when I was on the site it was user owned and run. I think the site has been sold to a private company now and the person who own/ran the site has stepped down. For example the founder started the site to write about his 'travels with Samantha'. His dog. The site had real comfortable feel to it.

Anyway. That was a long time ago. I still have good memories of the site and recommend you give it a try. Cheers.
Old 02-29-20, 08:03 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I was a member of Nikonians, though brand specific pretty good. If you are into film at all, few are anymore, APUG is a great site.
​​​​
APUG is now Photrio.com, FWIW. Neat site.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
Old 02-29-20, 08:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
APUG is now Photrio.com, FWIW. Neat site.
Thanks, it's been a while. I'll check it out.