Reload this Page >

Maybe a breakthrough Coronavirus story

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Maybe a breakthrough Coronavirus story

Old 04-30-20, 10:51 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yea, I know. I posted a FB link to the "hottie's" assessment of that video, which was critical. I should have posted it here as well. Basically:

1. Their numbers were not based on a random sample of the population, but rather patients seeking treatment (pretty obvious error if you ask me). The Bayesian thing you mentioned before.
2. There is no basis for their claim that being under quarantine negatively affects your immune system.

They do make the point that they are seeing more instances of people seeking treatment for spousal and child abuse because of the quarantine (as well as people delaying needed treatment for other illnesses). I think that point is a valid one to make, but it was just a claim ... they didn't provide any data to support it.

At this point, I see no reason to credit their anecdotes as data.

Urgent Care Clinic Owner in Bakersfield doesn't exactly sound like an unbiased source of information.
Old 04-30-20, 10:53 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
At this point, I see no reason to credit their anecdotes as data.

Urgent Care Clinic Owner in Bakersfield doesn't exactly sound like an unbiased source of information.
I think I said that ... they provided no data.

Old 04-30-20, 11:32 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3706 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I think I said that ... they provided no data.
We're in agreement. I'm just saying I don't have any reason to trust that their anecdotes are even honest. I'm sure the way I worded that made that point confusing, my bad.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-30-20, 12:02 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
These guys were rebuked by two medical associations.
The American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine provided a scathing rebuke of comments made last week by Accelerated Urgent Care Drs. Daniel Erickson and Artin Messihi.

The statement, in part, says, “As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.”

“COVID-19 misinformation is widespread and dangerous,” it continues. “Members of ACEP and AAEM are first-hand witnesses to the human toll that COVID-19 is taking on our communities. ACEP and AAEM strongly advise against using any statements of Drs. Erickson and Messihi as a basis for policy and decision making.”
https://www.kget.com/health/coronavi...field-doctors/
Likes For skookum:
Old 05-17-20, 08:27 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Article in Buzzfeed about investors funding the infamous Santa Clara antibody study, the idea being that they hoped the study could be used as ammunition for the re-opening of the economy.
A highly influential coronavirus antibody study was funded in part by David Neeleman, the JetBlue Airways founder and a vocal proponent of the idea that the pandemic isn’t deadly enough to justify continued lockdowns.

That’s according to a complaint from an anonymous whistleblower, filed with Stanford University last week and obtained by BuzzFeed News, about the study conducted by the famous scientist John Ioannidis and others. The complaint cites dozens of emails, including exchanges with the airline executive while the study was being conducted.
Ioannidis was recently asked point-blank about his study’s policy implications by the science news site Undark. While denying that the study made any explicit recommendations, Ioannidis also said it supports the hypothesis he has put forth all along: “this is a very common infection, and very often it is asymptomatic, so it goes below the radar screen.”

His views, he insisted, were driven by data, not politics.

“I’m just a scientist,” he said
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-whistleblower
Old 05-17-20, 10:37 AM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17831 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 1,104 Posts
Old 05-18-20, 10:35 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Article in Buzzfeed about investors funding the infamous Santa Clara antibody study, the idea being that they hoped the study could be used as ammunition for the re-opening of the economy.
I don't get it. The implication is that Ioannidis is in the pocket of Big Air?
Old 05-18-20, 09:03 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I don't get it. The implication is that Ioannidis is in the pocket of Big Air?
Its kind of weird, isn't it?
I think maybe Ioannidis is so set on being a contrarian, he just had to a different view on this one.

I don't think there is anything wrong with funding this study, as long as they didn't influence it, but it seems the study was poorly carried out and the results misinterpreted. Kind of wasteful to fund a crappy study.