An expert on CNN says you’re not likely to contract a virus biking

Old 05-18-20, 09:43 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Is this good news? Is it true? An expert says unless you’re with a big group, the amount of virus a cyclist can give you just going past you is very small. He says when you’re in a group for periods of time and then you rub your face, that’s how you get it. He said you shouldn’t worry about contracting the virus just riding alone and passing a rider once in a while.

Do you agree with him?
Old 05-18-20, 09:46 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Yes
Old 05-18-20, 09:47 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 19 Posts
I would't believe anything on CNN
Likes For bigd777:
Old 05-18-20, 10:24 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
That completely depends what you do, and I see tons of riders right next to each other all the time. It only takes one virus particle finding a way into one cell to infect you even if statistically you probably would have to be exposed to many more - but there can be millions in a single droplet from a sneeze or cough which can travel much much further than 6 feet. People should be riding with masks on if they might be anywhere near other people. You could bee sick and incubating for weeks before you know it. Even the flu and colds are mainly spread when incubating.
Likes For Oneder:
Old 05-18-20, 10:31 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek TX900, 1981 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1991 PDG Paramount OS, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 74 Posts
There are no experts on CNN, but common sense would tell you that, he or she is right.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 05-18-20, 10:32 PM
CaptainPlanet

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I was biking along a extremely packed narrow bike lane, literally bikes one after another, and the person in front of me gave a huge cough and there was no possible way to even avoid that. It was quite upsetting
Likes For CaptainPlanet:
Old 05-18-20, 10:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 196 Posts
You might get it or you might not. Keep your distance, try to wear a mask and keep clean and try and find a riding route away from others or pick a different time.

CNN, Fox, NBC, NYT, Springfield Shopper, Radio in your teeth or wherever you get the news..whatever doesn't matter what matters is ending this virus as quickly as we can and doing everything in our power to flatten the curve so maybe just maybe we can go back to some modified normal of some sort.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-19-20, 04:44 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
You might get it or you might not. Keep your distance, try to wear a mask and keep clean and try and find a riding route away from others or pick a different time.

CNN, Fox, NBC, NYT, Springfield Shopper, Radio in your teeth or wherever you get the news..whatever doesn't matter what matters is ending this virus as quickly as we can and doing everything in our power to flatten the curve so maybe just maybe we can go back to some modified normal of some sort.
Yup, everyone just needs to take hydroxychloroquine then no one can get covid19 anymore.
Old 05-19-20, 04:51 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73 View Post
There are no experts on CNN, but common sense would tell you that, he or she is right.
Tim
^ This, but how is that (original statement) news? Or have the 'experts on CNN' been telling the opposite this whole time?
Old 05-19-20, 06:01 AM
shelbyfv

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 473 Posts
Usually an "expert" in this context on CNN or elsewhere will be an epidemiologist or at least an MD. If that's the case, absent evidence to the contrary, they will know more than I do. I've never worried that passing another cyclist on the road would be an issue. What bothers me is riding for prolonged periods close to others, even my friends. I'm not convinced it's yet safe to ride in groups and I miss it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-20, 06:07 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
That completely depends what you do, and I see tons of riders right next to each other all the time. It only takes one virus particle finding a way into one cell to infect you even if statistically you probably would have to be exposed to many more - but there can be millions in a single droplet from a sneeze or cough which can travel much much further than 6 feet. People should be riding with masks on if they might be anywhere near other people. You could bee sick and incubating for weeks before you know it. Even the flu and colds are mainly spread when incubating.
The best way to prevent yourself from ever contracting a deadly virus is to never go outside again. Masks aren't completely effective either. I suggest you tie a plastic bag over your head to completely prevent any virus entering in.
Old 05-19-20, 06:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 295 Posts
We need the television to explain things that are within the grasp of simple common sense? There is no hope...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-19-20, 06:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Is this good news? Is it true? An expert says unless you’re with a big group, the amount of virus a cyclist can give you just going past you is very small. He says when you’re in a group for periods of time and then you rub your face, that’s how you get it. He said you shouldn’t worry about contracting the virus just riding alone and passing a rider once in a while.

Do you agree with him?
This is one of the problems with our country: an individual who you yourself describe as an “expert“ gives advice, and then you go on an Internet forum to ask a bunch of anonymous strangers if it is correct. Sheesh.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-20, 08:54 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by RH Clark View Post
The best way to prevent yourself from ever contracting a deadly virus is to never go outside again. Masks aren't completely effective either. I suggest you tie a plastic bag over your head to completely prevent any virus entering in.
I always wondered what kind of people it takes to get a country to over 100k deaths. Now I know.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-19-20, 09:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 264 Posts
An expert says unless you’re with a big group, the amount of virus a cyclist can give you just going past you is very small.
Old news, and in most situations true. Now if an infected rider coughs in your face that's a different story.

Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Yup, everyone just needs to take hydroxychloroquine then no one can get covid19 anymore.
Which "News" network and self proclaimed genius ever pumped this idea? Wait, never mind.
Old 05-19-20, 09:21 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
This is one of the problems with our country: an individual who you yourself describe as an “expert“ gives advice, and then you go on an Internet forum to ask a bunch of anonymous strangers if it is correct. Sheesh.
Not sure I agree with this. First, who the media call an "expert" often isn't anything of the sort, or their expert opinion is not mainstream ... there are a lot of rogue "experts." One of the ways to ferret out what is true and what is not is to ask others what they have found out themselves. Some respond with their personal opinion, some with links to articles they have found on the subject (either corroborating or refuting the claim ... quite helpful), and some respond with a knee-jerk politically-tainted response or other childish nonsense.

The key is to learn to recognize good information from bad, and ignore the BS. I've certainly learned some things here.

Old 05-19-20, 09:32 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Not sure I agree with this. First, who the media call an "expert" often isn't anything of the sort, or their expert opinion is not mainstream ... there are a lot of rogue "experts." One of the ways to ferret out what is true and what is not is to ask others what they have found out themselves. Some respond with their personal opinion, some with links to articles they have found on the subject (either corroborating or refuting the claim ... quite helpful), and some respond with a knee-jerk politically-tainted response or other childish nonsense.

The key is to learn to recognize good information from bad, and ignore the BS. I've certainly learned some things here.
The OP described the person as an “expert.”
Old 05-19-20, 11:26 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
The OP described the person as an “expert.”
It would be helpful to know who the expert on CNN was, and what are their qualifications, as well as exactly what they said.

I agree there are lots of fake experts, many with MDs or other higher qualifications.

However, I am reminded of Tom Nichols' book the Death of Expertise. In this internet age, everybody considers themselves an expert, and real expertise is ignored and looked down upon.
“To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they’re wrong about anything. It is a new Declaration of Independence: No longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that aren’t true. All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.”
Old 05-19-20, 11:31 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
It would be helpful to know who the expert on CNN was, and what are their qualifications, as well as exactly what they said.

I agree there are lots of fake experts, many with MDs or other higher qualifications.

However, I am reminded of Tom Nichols' book the Death of Expertise. In this internet age, everybody considers themselves an expert, and real expertise is ignored and looked down upon.
That quote is very apt.
Old 05-19-20, 11:36 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 600 Posts

Do you agree with him?
Who is the person, or do you have a link to the CNN report by any chance?

These assertions tend to be based on probabilistic arguments and observations such as who gets sick in a crowded restaurant (people downstream of the airflow from the viral spreader, rather than across the room), and that more traceable contacts occur inside (at choir rehearsals and phone centers) than outdoors.

The main thing to keep in mind is that it takes only one virus particle (under ideal conditions for the virus) to infect you. If you are bombarded by 100,000,000 particles when someone coughs, you are proportionately more likely to contract the disease. Recirculated airflow indoors is worse than being out in the park, but a tightly-packed bevy of cyclists snot-rocketing isn't exactly a guarantee of good health.

The reports I have read basically summarize their statements like this: Six foot distancing might be enough to protect you outdoors, but is probably inadequate (as in the case of the choir) indoors, with recirculated air and prolonged exposure. The longer you are exposed, the higher the probability you will contract the disease.
Old 05-19-20, 02:09 PM
Koyote

That’s funny – I almost cited the book myself, in my post above. Yes, plenty of people put themselves forward as “experts“ when they actually have no special expertise… Among them, many news personalities on a particular network. But that does not make it wise to ignore real experts, whose credentials are easily verified. And yet, it’s become increasingly popular to scorn those real experts. I could give an example of a noted public official who routinely ignores expert opinion, but it would probably get my post deleted.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-20, 02:46 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 159 Posts
Is this good news? Is it true? An expert says unless you’re with a big group, the amount of virus a cyclist can give you just going past you is very small.

He says when you’re in a group for periods of time and then you rub your face, that’s how you get it. He said you shouldn’t worry about contracting the virus just riding alone and passing a rider once in a while.

Do you agree with him?
Originally Posted by tkamd73 View Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
Usually an "expert" in this context on CNN or elsewhere will be an epidemiologist or at least an MD. If that's the case, absent evidence to the contrary, they will know more than I do.

I've never worried that passing another cyclist on the road would be an issue. What bothers me is riding for prolonged periods close to others, even my friends. I'm not convinced it's yet safe to ride in groups and I miss it.

FWIW here Boston, the experts are chiefly M.D.s at the Harvard Medical School Teaching Hospitals, for example on a Governor's COVID Advisory Panel that just yesterday released a four-phase re-opening protocol for Massachusetts. We still have shelter-in-place-mask-on-in-public status, but bicycling and MUPs are not prohibited.

There was this recent discussion about wearing masks while cycling, in particular on the popular Minuteman Bikepath:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
quiet day on the Minuteman & saw a new sign

I guess he was 6' from anyone else, so ... no mask for you!
Originally Posted by rholland1951 View Post
There seemed to be an unusual number of bikes out on Mass. Ave (not a bad thing, there's plenty of room, and most of the riders were masked), and once again there seemed to be more car and truck traffic than we had enjoyed during the quietest part of the Great Pause.

Meanwhile, I was noticing what looked like diminished traffic at the Minuteman crossings. So... I hopped on the Minuteman in Lexington Center, to see for myself...and immediately found myself in 9x traffic compared to the road, with the added treat that about two thirds of it seemed to be either Barefaced or Just Warming My Chin, happy Breathers everywhere you looked.
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler View Post
Breathing. As Rod said,”it can be quite nice.” I read Professor Erin Bromage’s blog cited distances for different kinds of breathers and sneezers and kept it in mind as I rode a favored 36 mile cloverleaf loop de loop through nearly empty backroads in Sherborn, Dover, Westwood and Medfield.

I found walkers and cyclists well spaced except obvious family members and half the cyclists were, using Rod’s term, chin warmers and the others were solo cycling barefaced.

I pulled my mask up well before I passed anyone In either direction
and the two times I stopped. I saw chatting neighbors conservatively distanced by driveways and a lonely walker wearing his mask on an empty road.[
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
I commented to Mrs Ghazmh after my ride yesterday afternoon that half the cyclists I saw had a mask/bandana around their neck (not face) while the other half had nothing. It wasn’t a literal tally but it seemed that way.

In all fairness I did see a few with their faces covered. In the early mornings when I do most of my rides I sometimes see a dozen or more riders while I sometimes see none at all. Often bare faced.

I've ingested far less bugs, airborne landscaping dust and god only knows what else that gets Hoovered in when churning uphill. What’s not to like?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
My riding (commuting) has been through Boston, Brookline, West Roxbury, Dedham and Norwood, mostly on lightly trafficked roads with rare cyclists on the opposite side, and a small fraction of my routes on the lightly cycled Jamaica Pond / Muddy River MUPS.

I wear a mask, but when riding I lower it below my nose.

With the mask over my nose at rest, I have some fogging of my prescription eyeglasses, though the moisture is ventilated while riding, but breathing is improved through unencumbered nostrils. During the recent “cold” snap, the mask indeed was a chin and cheek warmer.

There have been recent reports of vigorous law enforcement of wearing masks, e.g. a young mother arrested in the Brooklyn subway for lowering her mask to answer her phone (not necessary IMO). If this starts to occur in Boston, I hope my slightly lowered mask we’ll give me enough “cover” to avoid being stopped.

I do wear the mask when riding because if I want to enter an enclosed space.e.g. a store or Commmuter Rall car, it's cumbersome to remove my helmet with the chin strap over my ears, to secure the ear elastics of the mask, but so easy to just raise it above my nose since it is in place already.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
...Another “social” advantage of the mask to hide my ever-increasing scruffy beard. I have looked into beard trimmers, but once had a bad outcome when I tried to use scissors.

I’m waiting to hear the Governor’s plan for phased re-opening and decide if I can wait for my excellent barbershop to resume business.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-19-20 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added quote about the beard
Old 05-19-20, 03:47 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 222 Posts

Do you agree with him?
It doesn't take an expert to know that your chances of catching covid19 when riding solo is absolutely zero...You're much more likely to get hit by a distracted driver than get infected with a virus.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-19-20, 04:44 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
I always wondered what kind of people it takes to get a country to over 100k deaths. Now I know.
You don't have any idea what kind of person I am. I care about the 100K that died from this flu just as much as the 100K that died from the last one or that die every day in all kinds of ways. The only thing you need to know for sure is that I am apparently not nearly as fearful as you and certainly not as easily manipulated. My best to you but I will not live in a world where I have to wear a mask outside in the open air away from anybody. Don't worry though ,I'll stay more than 6 feet away from you. I'm just sad that freedom died without so much as a whimper, let alone a good fight. My motto is, "I'm going to live,or die trying!" I won't live a life full of the fear of dying.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 05-19-20, 05:59 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd777 View Post
I would't believe anything on CNN
My take: Riiiiigggghhhhttttt,....only CNN has "experts" that state these types of "facts". Fox would NEVER do such false pontificating,... Question is, as asked, who was the "expert"? Inquiring minds would like to know. Otherwise,...meh,... Only the MEDICAL experts are worth their salt. And not left OR right leaning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.