Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hot Sauce!

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hot Sauce!

Old 06-24-15, 05:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 382 Posts
Too bad, KFC's Extra Crispy is pretty damn tasty
Old 06-24-15, 07:50 PM
FlatTop
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some interesting suggestions in this thread, thanks! It seems you can't go wrong by posting about hot sauce on Foo.
Old 06-24-15, 08:37 PM
windhchaser 

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
rooster siricha is the best or make ya own
Old 06-25-15, 07:44 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
That was a close one! I was reaching back to get a good grip on my mocking club...

Interesting. Is it like sambal olek at all? Trying to see through the brown glass, it looks maybe a little more dry/fibrous and less syrupy? What do you put it on?
I never tried sambal olek but chili paste looks about the same. It's pretty wet, like a ketchup with many chunks of pepper and garlic. You can put it n just about anything, but you do get the flavors of garlic and pepper as well as heat. It's very cheap if you can buy it in an authentic oriental market. It's also supposed to be easy to make. Here's a recipe:

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...ic-paste/?_r=0

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chili_paste.jpg (42.8 KB, 286 views)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Likes For Roody:
Old 06-25-15, 09:35 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by windhchaser View Post
rooster siricha is the best or make ya own
Here's an online recipe I've considered trying. Never seen red jalapenos in a store though, only fresnos.
Old 06-25-15, 09:39 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I never tried sambal olek but chili paste looks about the same. It's pretty wet, like a ketchup with many chunks of pepper and garlic. You can put it n just about anything, but you do get the flavors of garlic and pepper as well as heat. It's very cheap if you can buy it in an authentic oriental market.
Looks good, I'll try and pick some up. Sambal olek is set out in many asian restaurants, I've seen it at a Mongolian BBQ, I've often gotten it at Thai restaurants. The problem with Thai (the best ethnic food ever!) is that when I order an 8/10 heat, they discount the heat because I'm white (profiling!). So sometimes I'll ask for some chili to be able to adjust my own heat, and they'll have a little tray with 3-4 cups, one with dry chili flake, one with sambal olek, etc.
Old 06-28-15, 06:00 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I like Sambal Badjak, the kind with shrimp paste in it. Sriracha is for Pho. I like Chili oil (La Yu) like they serve in Chinese restaurants. Piri Piri pepper sauce for south african Nando's recipes. Ethiopian Berebere is fun to play with too. My new favorite capsicum delivery system is Pimenton Ahumado Smoked paprika. A necessity for paella.
Old 05-25-20, 02:00 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
I think this thread deserves a bump!

I, too, love Kutbil-ik, it's my all-time favorite.

I want to try some Marie Sharp's, Blair's, and Exhorresco 7-Pot.

Habanero is my favorite flavored pepper. I like Reapers and Ghost Peppers, too, but Habanero just has that delicious flavor that I crave.

I put Kutbil-ik in my Hamm's beer, coffee, cottage cheese, meat marinades, eggs, you name it.
Old 05-26-20, 09:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

thx for the bump, this thread brings back good memories.

If you like habanero, check out Ainsley Harriot's jerk chicken:

Or I found these jars of diced habanero at the 99c store that are really good. Seems like majority diced carrot in there actually, but the heat is very sharp and concentrated, and the flavor is great. I can't find it online, I'll have to try to remember to check the brand when I get home tonight.

Finally, if you are ever in San Diego, make a point to go to a Ballast Point tasting room and try their Habanero Sculpin on tap.
Old 05-26-20, 01:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 624 Posts
This is good stuff in medium. Just enough heat without ruining the flavor of you’re food.

Good with eggs.
Old 05-26-20, 01:16 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
Looks good, I'll try and pick some up. Sambal olek is set out in many asian restaurants, I've seen it at a Mongolian BBQ, I've often gotten it at Thai restaurants. The problem with Thai (the best ethnic food ever!) is that when I order an 8/10 heat, they discount the heat because I'm white (profiling!). So sometimes I'll ask for some chili to be able to adjust my own heat, and they'll have a little tray with 3-4 cups, one with dry chili flake, one with sambal olek, etc.
Sambal Oelek is kind of the default hot sauce here. Nothing wrong with it but there are so many more interesting sambals, which are more a matter of taste in the sense that you can really love them or not like them at all. At my favourite Asian/Surinamese shop here there's a whole rack of like a hundred different sambals, about a quarter is home made. I like the home made sambal brandal the best but it goes off much faster than the industrial ones. For cooking I use a green rawit sambal. It's quite hot so I don't taste much else but the hotness heats well and scorns the throat rather than burns on the tongue, which I like in a pepper. For a sambal to add after cooking I prefer the milder ones with more other pepper tastes than just the heat and other tastes than pepper added.

I'd like to taste a mild green pepper one but I haven't found one yet. I like green tabasco very much too, also because it's mild and I can taste a lot of it. Great on seafood pizza's too but in general I mostly stick to the origins: Tabasco on Mexican food, sambal with Asian food, harissa with North-African food, as much as I like sambal it's not a great fit with everything. But sometimes it works great with unlikely dishes, like a traditional split pea soup which is really a hearty winter's dish, but put some green rawit sambal in it and suddenly it's much more an all season dish.
Old 05-26-20, 02:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Interesting. So is 'olek' the name of a chili it is made from, or more like the name of a recipe?
Old 05-26-20, 10:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Old 05-26-20, 10:42 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 396 Posts
Arizona Pepper's Habanero Pepper Sauce. Seriously hot. Great habanero taste. Very clean taste.
Old 05-27-20, 01:25 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Quoted: 2784 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
Interesting. So is 'olek' the name of a chili it is made from, or more like the name of a recipe?
I think oelek means mortar. Oelek is just the basic sambal of lombok peppers (I don't believe lombok is significantly different from other chili peppers). The other names can be based on what's added, what's done to it, if it's rawit instead of lombok, how hot it is or what it should be used for. So the naming isn't really helpful. I think badjak is the most common sambal that is quite different from oelek, while the varieties with fermented shrimp (trassie) are not to everyone's taste, especially raw.
Old 06-01-20, 12:07 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Or I found these jars of diced habanero at the 99c store that are really good. Seems like majority diced carrot in there actually, but the heat is very sharp and concentrated, and the flavor is great. I can't find it online, I'll have to try to remember to check the brand when I get home tonight.
I finally remembered to check, the brand is La Costen~a . The jar is oblong.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 06-03-20, 07:49 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I very much enjoy Karma Sauce. You can order it online. They have some very hot sauces available...
Old 06-24-20, 03:16 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I tried Marks now I will give Clint a shot. HEB is great at using local small businesses. Salsa aka hot sauce gives food a kick...

Old 06-25-20, 10:39 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 167 Posts
Diablo Daughter bought me a variety pack for Father's Day. Single pepper varieties, they're all tasty. They're all also about the consistency of Sriracha. Ghost sauce isn't quite as hot as I'd expect, odd that the Jalapeno sauce is red.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-25-20, 10:56 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Those look good! There are red jalapenos (as well as orange and green habaneros), but yeah, usually jalpeno sauces are green
Old 06-25-20, 12:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 4124 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 418 Posts
Green peppers are unripe and more vegetal in flavor with a slight bitterness. Red/orange/yellow/etc are ripe and sweeter and fruitier.
Old 06-27-20, 01:25 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Reminding me how frabjous Cholula sauce is on a salad with ranch dressing when you throw in chicken breast and Fritos...
Old 06-27-20, 01:42 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

As I mostly make my own salsas and sauces I don't go out of my way to seek out the extraordinary and instead get what is at the grocery store.

My fall back tends to be the El Yucateco sauces as they are readily available. I like the Black Label - a mild smokey hab. Also excellent is their XXXtra Hot hab which is both moderately hot and mildly smoky with focus on flavor first and heat second despite it's name.

It seems a lot of hype goes to the ultra hot sauces which I find boring in the sense it is easy to pump up the heat but takes more effort to make excellent favor.

In addition to standards like serrano and jals I grow bhut jolokia, a variety of habs including the amazing chocolate hab which is 1/2 the heat of a bhut and a rich flavor that goes beyond the typical fruity hab. It makes excellent home made sauce.

The most prolific peppers in my garden are chiltepin. These are tiny with an intense but not long lasting heat. My '800 tepin' salsa recipe for them:

800 chiltepins (~1-3/4cup) lightly toasted under broiler
coarse chop large onion & six garlic cloves & sweat in evoo
fine chop above in processor, avoid the fumes
add 28oz canned tomatoes, whole or chunks
1/2 cup evoo
1/4 cup vinegar (50/50 white wine/balsamic is nice)
a bit of salt
process till smooth

Last edited by noisebeam; 06-27-20 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 03:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Interesting, I picked up chiltepin in a store once, if I see them again I'll grab them and try that recipe out!

El Yucateco XXX is one of my go-tos. I've tried the black, but thought it was weird.

As for superhot, I had the opportunity to try The Last Dab (one years' version anyways), and it was delicious! On the other hand, I also once had the 'opportunity' to taste Mad Dog 357 Plutonium, that was vile
Old 06-27-20, 07:45 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I didn't know chiltepins can be found in stores, at least not fresh although I would not be surprised. I know they are often sold dried. The are closest to and in many cases are a wild pepper. Their skin is very thin and they fall off their stem when ripe. Birds love them. Because of the thin skin they do not store well fresh like firmer peppers, but the flip is they dry out easily on the counter in low RH AZ. They volunteer readily in my garden and produce many thousands in the fall They also seem to hybridize easily other peppers and can pick up traits. My prized plant that I kept alive for over 8yr was a tepin-buht combo. It was longer and a bit larger than a tepin with slightly dimpled skin and notably hotter and fell off its stem readily. I still have dried ones but it the plant sadly died a few winters ago with three days in a row of 26F that I could not protect alone with blankets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.