Old 05-24-20, 06:32 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
There are a few people acting in secret, well as secret as shell companies and tax havens can make it, to encourage some conspiracy theories as a way to destabilse government control. There is a fair bit of evidence that certain right wing families in the USA are bank rolling the current anti-covid-19 restrictions thingo. There is definitely plenty of evidence that the same families are behind climate denialism and the conspiracy theories that back that up. I suppose you could say this is not a conspiracy, however, but a fact...
There you have it. A conspiracy theory to explain conspiracy theories.
Old 05-24-20, 08:35 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
There you have it. A conspiracy theory to explain conspiracy theories.
One that at least makes some sense for once.
Old 05-25-20, 07:02 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 92 Posts
One that at least makes some sense for once.
>>> all the proof of this was in WTC bldg 7
Old 05-25-20, 07:18 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
>>> all the proof of this was in WTC bldg 7
Nah, it's listed on their website... https://www.heartland.org/ they even have helpful links to the conspiracy of your choice...
Old 05-25-20, 11:40 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 75 Posts

HALF of all Twitter posts demanding US reopen economy and spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories are bots, researchers say

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chers-say.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 05-26-20, 02:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

HALF of all Twitter posts demanding US reopen economy and spreading COVID-19 conspiracy theories are bots, researchers say

And the people who agree with the propaganda bots will claim the media who report about bots and trolls from Russia, China, etc., are lying.

We're seeing the prophecy of the Insane Clown Posse in "Miracles" come to fruition as Juggalos become the dominant mentality: "I don't wanna talk to scientist, y'all MFers lyin' and gettin' me pissed."

Magnets. How do they work?

Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-26-20, 04:46 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

whatever IT is IT has been around a long time WE have been warned & whoever THEY are THEY won't stop
FWIW > what happened after paul should give you a clue
Old 05-26-20, 06:28 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
And the people who agree with the propaganda bots will claim the media who report about bots and trolls from Russia, China, etc., are lying.

We're seeing the prophecy of the Insane Clown Posse in "Miracles" come to fruition as Juggalos become the dominant mentality: "I don't wanna talk to scientist, y'all MFers lyin' and gettin' me pissed."

Magnets. How do they work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GyVx28R9-s
Turns out the Insane Clown Posse believe in Science, it was all an act! https://www.indy100.com/article/trum...ggalos-9481891
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-26-20, 08:10 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Given human nature, and how effective psychological slant can impact a person and a population, prevention of so-called "conspiracy" theories isn't likely to be all that effective.

The Atlantic has a whole series of articles written lately, involving that subject: the Shadowland series @ The Atlantic.

Not everyone's "cuppa" (nor mine, largely) ... but some interesting points in many of the articles.
Old 05-26-20, 10:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post

That's amazing. Here's the original article from Carnegie Mellon's own website:
https://www.scs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-...99-may-be-bots
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-26-20, 11:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8445 Post(s)
Liked 902 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
The article never even defines what it considers “a conspiracy theory”. Nor does anyone this thread. Are people supposed to just automatically know something fits that description?

Reading between the lines, I assume (the article) probably means, “facts that go against the current prevailing mass media version of events, as it’s being presented right now, not a year or 2 months ago. What we said just a minute ago.”

If that’s the definition, I have news for you, the big media outlets are wrong all the time, about almost everything. I wouldn’t trust them with my health, not in a million years! Especially with something that’s been so politicized.
When an idea is promoted by one person or small group and does not accept criticism or examination, and uses phrases like "don't believe your eyes and ears..." then you might consider it a conspiracy theory... and start looking for conflicting or confirming information. And try using your eyes and ears. Obscure ideas can be difficult to comprehend... but are they peer reviewed, or are they presented in a cult like manner? Are the theories sound, or do they rely on questionable assumptions? Also consider the source. Is the source trustworthy?
Old 05-26-20, 11:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The problem is, there is a large and growing segment of the population that distrusts academia and gets excited by obscure theories that paint themselves as the heroic underdog.
Old 05-26-20, 12:22 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 8445 Post(s)
Liked 902 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
The problem is, there is a large and growing segment of the population that distrusts academia and gets excited by obscure theories that paint themselves as the heroic underdog.
I think they were always there... now they can communicate with other like minded fools. Academia requires publishing, peer review, and cross examination... Idiocracy requires none of that... just "blind sheep."

Theories require testing; conspiracy does not... it merely requires blind faith.

I will admit the apparent growth of that segment is rather intimidating, as it tends to be loud.
Old 05-26-20, 02:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3550 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 700 Posts
Turns out the Insane Clown Posse believe in Science, it was all an act! https://www.indy100.com/article/trum...ggalos-9481891
Dayum. My faith in guys wearing makeup and clown suits has been restored. Thanks. Next thing you know the Swiss Guard, English magistrates and Eddie Izzard will be heroes again.
Old 05-26-20, 02:43 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

That's amazing. Here's the original article from Carnegie Mellon's own website:
https://www.scs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-...99-may-be-bots
The research team cannot point to specific entities behind the orchestrated attempts to influence online conversations. "We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," Carley said.
I thought Trev said it was "billionaires" ?
Old 05-26-20, 02:48 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 103 Posts
The article never even defines what it considers “a conspiracy theory”. Nor does anyone this thread. Are people supposed to just automatically know something fits that description?
Always figured it was folks out there plotting and planning something ... whether it was some plausible alternative, or a hatched plot that folks caught wind of, of whatever, or merely some out-in-left-field myth that's survived awhile. (The "conspiracy" part sort of gives that away.)

In general terms, these days, it appears to be anything "far out there" that cannot be demonstrated as true. It's essentially a bucket into which oddball, hard-to-believe and/or against-the-grain explanations get tossed when it's time to dismiss them by "the right people."

Who knows, from one instance to the next, what someone really means when they use that term. It's one of those catch-all things.

Sad, with things involving people's health, though. I'm willing to await the scientific specifics, duplicated by others, before calling something demonstrably true. In the meantime, generally if it comes from a well-established source and well-established principles, I tend to use much less salt in my skepticism when considering what I'm being told.
Old 05-26-20, 08:44 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,155 Times in 600 Posts

Reading between the lines, I assume (the article) probably means, “facts that go against the current prevailing mass media version of events, as it’s being presented right now, not a year or 2 months ago. What we said just a minute ago.”

If that’s the definition, I have news for you, the big media outlets are wrong all the time, about almost everything. I wouldn’t trust them with my health, not in a million years! Especially with something that’s been so politicized.
Conspiracy theories seek to explain essentially random events (like a disease outbreak) in terms of a hidden agenda implemented by powerful people (often ones whose own identity is also hidden). They are characterized by lots of ad hoc assumptions, special pleading arguments, and complicated explanations to explain the motives of the conspirators. They typically place an emphasis upon the personalities of the conspirators, and de-emphasize the importance of institutions. They often have an implicit (or explicit) assumption that the event would not have taken place in the absence of the conspiracy, and that if the conspirators could be exposed and brought to justice, health would replace pestilence, and peace and joy would return to the land. Conspiracy theories by nature are very difficult to falsify. Their proponents are typically completely unwilling or unable to state under what conditions they would accept their theory to be falsified by empirical evidence to the contrary. In that sense, conspiracy theories are the opposite of scientific hypotheses, which are best formulated in testable terms and can easily state under what experimental conditions they would be falsified.
Old 05-27-20, 05:04 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I thought Trev said it was "billionaires" ?
Seems to me that the Chinese and Russians tend to kick things off, like anti-vax and 5G. It's a perfect storm of disinformation between them and the anti government whackos of the far right, both have the same aim, but not the same rationale. The russians and chinese trying to reduce the effectiveness of the US government to weaken their competitor. Billionaires and the far right trying to weaken government to remove impediments to them getting richer and accumulating power.
There are definitely elements of the far right that are pushing Covid-19 denial. Usually through "repectable" foundations like the Heartland Institute. They run on dark money channeled through trusts and the like so it gets difficult to trace where it comes from. This article that claims that republicans are immune because of their psychological make up : https://www.heartland.org/news-opini.../be-not-afraid not that democratic voting areas are usually poorer and in cities. Here's another piece of whackness https://www.heartland.org/news-opini...st-generations
Old 05-27-20, 08:02 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Seems to me that the Chinese and Russians tend to kick things off, like anti-vax and 5G. It's a perfect storm of disinformation between them and the anti government whackos of the far right, both have the same aim, but not the same rationale. The russians and chinese trying to reduce the effectiveness of the US government to weaken their competitor. Billionaires and the far right trying to weaken government to remove impediments to them getting richer and accumulating power.
There are definitely elements of the far right that are pushing Covid-19 denial. Usually through "repectable" foundations like the Heartland Institute. They run on dark money channeled through trusts and the like so it gets difficult to trace where it comes from. This article that claims that republicans are immune because of their psychological make up : https://www.heartland.org/news-opini.../be-not-afraid not that democratic voting areas are usually poorer and in cities. Here's another piece of whackness https://www.heartland.org/news-opini...st-generations
Sounds like their conspiracy theory is pretty similar to yours.

the people who own the plantation are people like billionaires George Soros, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Michael Bloomberg, who promote globalism in general and the U.N. and the WHO, in particular. These men are apparently the puppet masters who pull the strings and make the members of Congress, the Deep State, the media and academia, dance.
Billionaires. They're everywhere.

Last edited by skookum; 05-27-20 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spolling
Old 05-27-20, 10:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11817 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,765 Posts
How do you expect this to be perceived in a thread about conspiracy theories?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-27-20, 10:42 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by seattle forrest View Post
how do you expect this to be perceived in a thread about conspiracy theories?
> 😜
Old 05-27-20, 03:04 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 183 Posts
Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence or stupidity.

Old 05-27-20, 05:28 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
How do you expect this to be perceived in a thread about conspiracy theories?
Dunno, if it was a theory it would be pretty strange, but all the info I've written about is a matter of public record. Asymmetric warfare has been a thing for a while now. https://thediplomat.com/2020/05/welc...isinformation/ Whether explicit, like the Russian Today TV network promoting 5G conspiracy or covert. How do conspiracy theories get legs in the general population? it takes money and publicity. Usually more money than a few people in basements have.
So discussing the sources and motives of those spreading conspiracy theories is probably relevant.
I probably shouldn't lump billionaires into one bucket, that is tinfoil-ly. Bill Gates makes a lot of sense as do all the other "world government" accused ones, possibly why they are being vilified by some (^that's a conspiracy theory there). It's ones like the Koch Brother(s) and the DeVos's that are shady.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-27-20, 05:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I think it's pretty certain by now that Russia is actively working to influence american public opinion. They spread pro-Trump propaganda with Trolls in 2016, I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in at least some of the >=50% of 'reopen America' tweets that CMU recently found to be from bots

I'm pretty sure we know that China has a pretty significant cyber-army working against us too.

But using 5G seems pretty tin-foily -- that is to say, using 5G microwaves to boil our brain oxygen away and give us the covids is tin-foily. Burying encryption backdoors in the technology and attempting/intending to spy on us seems entirely plausible

Last edited by RubeRad; 05-27-20 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-27-20, 06:58 PM
Trevtassie

I think it's pretty certain by now that Russia is actively working to influence american public opinion. They spread pro-Trump propaganda with Trolls in 2016, I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in at least some of the >=50% of 'reopen America' tweets that CMU recently found to be from bots

I'm pretty sure we know that China has a pretty significant cyber-army working against us too.

But using 5G seems pretty tin-foily -- that is to say, using 5G microwaves to boil our brain oxygen away and give us the covids is tin-foily. Burying encryption backdoors in the technology and attempting/intending to spy on us seems entirely plausible
I think the 5G thing is just asymmetric warfare. Russia just views stopping the use of that as chucking a spanner in the works technologically with the bonus of generally stirring up dissension. How the Covidnistas conflated it with Bill Gates and Covid-19, well....
It is funny when it blows back on the Russian government, like their current situation with Covid-19, however. Not funny for the people of course....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.